Deployment Solution

View Only
  • 1.  iusb3hub drivers causing BSOD between Optiplex 5040 and Latitude E5530

Posted Jan 11, 2017 04:17 PM

I am using DeployAnywehre with the Drivers Database. In my test environment (CMS 8 HF3) I am trying DA and the DriversDB with USB3 drivers. I have tried this in production last year with CMS 7.6 HF7 but I get driver conflicts (BSOD). RIght now, I have an issue with the Dell Latitude E5530 which requires USB3 driver version 1.0.8.251, the drivers are in the DB when it is imaged with Windows 7 it BSOD during the ghost user login when the iusb3hub driver is getting installed. Slaving that hdd from the laptop, I see that the laptop has taken the usb 3 version 4.0.2.42 which belongs to the Dell Optiplex 5040. Viewing the .inf files from the 5040's driver I do not see anything so far that I can modify so the E5530 takes it's own usb3 and not another models. I know the DA scans hardware ids and figures out from there what that imaged computer needs.

In production I did speak with a Symantec Tech and I was told to package the usb 3 drivers and do a softwre delivery with a script to install. Wait till CMS 8.0 comes out, it will fix the ubs3 issue. 7.6's DeployAnywhere has issues figuring out how to correctly choose the right USB3 driver. I could do that again, but with our Optiplex 5040 desktops and Windows 7; usb keyboard and mouse will not work until the usb 3 driver is installed.

Has anyone else come across this issue with a better alternative? Maybe someone has found a way to make DA give the right usb3 to the right computer getting imaged?

• 2.  RE: iusb3hub drivers causing BSOD between Optiplex 5040 and Latitude E5530

Posted Jan 12, 2017 09:21 AM

Update, today I imaged a Dell Latitude E5540 laptop with Windows 7 x64. The laptop received usb3 drivers, but the drivers from a Latitude E7450. No BSOD which is good, but shouldn't DeployAnywhere make sure the E5540 is getting it's appropriate version? What is the E7450's driver made this BSOD? Luckily it did not happen. 

Below are the models and their USB3 driver versions:

E5540: USB3 version 2.5.0.19

E7450: USB3 version 3.0.2.54

So, the E5540 is receiving version 3.0.2.54 when it should be receving 2.5.0.19. I am using DeployAnywhere version 12.0.0.7265 from CMS 8.0HF3.

• 3.  RE: iusb3hub drivers causing BSOD between Optiplex 5040 and Latitude E5530

Trusted Advisor
    Posted Jan 17, 2017 11:32 AM

hi @mjhammer

It doesn't exactly answer your question, but I ran into issues with getting USB3 drivers to work with deployanywhere and finally gave up on it in 2015.  

Here's the method I have used ever since for driver deployment with win7 and win10.

It's a relative dream to live with once set up.  New model comes out (we only order from dell), I create a folder on our network share for the model and download the enterprise support driver cab from dell and extract it.  You could dump all contents from the cab to your network share, but I usually just start with the NIC drivers and then run my hardware independent image against it & see what drivers windows reports as missing.  Then I go find those drivers in the cab and add those to my network share and run HI image again.

I cringe thinking of all the hours I went back and forth with support on the USB3 issue.  I've never seen issues with usb3 supporting drivers this way.

Oh, I deployed 5040 desktops this summer with win7 using this method without issue.  I'll attach 2 screenshots of the driver share for that model in case that helps you (not sure if you're doing win10, I tested doing drivers for that, works great, too).

• 4.  RE: iusb3hub drivers causing BSOD between Optiplex 5040 and Latitude E5530
    Best Answer

Posted Jan 17, 2017 02:54 PM

I found this over the weekend: https://support.symantec.com/en_US/article.tech235119.html. This is for the latest DeployAnywhere executables from 8.0 HF4.

8.0HF3's DA = 12.0.0.7265

8.0HF4's DA = 12.0.0.7278

So far my Optiplex and Latitude models are obtaining their correct version of the usb 3 drivers from DA's DriversDB. Very happy about that so far. Looks like Symantec finally got the usb3 hardware id matching working correctly. I do not want to jump the gun and make this a resolution just yet. But I should be able to by end of this week at the latest if all still goes well.

• 5.  RE: iusb3hub drivers causing BSOD between Optiplex 5040 and Latitude E5530

Trusted Advisor
    Posted Jan 26, 2017 07:56 AM

Glad you got it working and good luck in your quest to keep DA alive :)  sometime if you have a few hours, you should try the other method... so many less headaches and very easy to set up in my experience with Dell drivers.

• 6.  RE: iusb3hub drivers causing BSOD between Optiplex 5040 and Latitude E5530

Posted Jan 26, 2017 11:00 AM

I looked into that method for the drivers. We had a Symantec Partner come in a couple years ago for an Altiris Workshop, and he presented a similar method. A VBScript will get the model of the computer > the drivers go to the NS manually with each folder named after the script's naming of that model > that folder gets copied to the computer and the drivers get installed with DPInst.exe.

But, I have Techs in our field locations and our field locations are static ip, not dhcp. I have them imaging from USB utilizing a script that (1) images with ghost, (2) DeployAnywhere Eval, (3) DeployAnywhere Retarget. Overall, the usb method with the script works exactly how it works via PXE and the console's jobs and tasks.