Deployment Solution

View Only
  • 1.  Job condition to identify Windows Server 2008 SP1 and SP2

Posted Jun 12, 2009 09:03 AM
    Our organization put Windows Server 2008 SP2 rollout on hold for now.  But some sub divisions went ahead and installed SP2.  So we have mixed situation.
    Now we need to distribute a job.  This job has 2 separate executables for Windows Server 2008 SP1 and SP2.
    Right now I set up 2 separate jobs for this task.

Is it possible to establish the job condition for this situation in order to set up only one job?

Thanks.

• 2.  RE: Job condition to identify Windows Server 2008 SP1 and SP2

Posted Jun 12, 2009 11:27 AM
    You should be able to create different job conditions for Windows Server 2008 SP1 and SP2.

You could try it out by creating a computer filter for that specific service pack. I did one with Windows XP Service Pack 2. When I go to an XP SP2 computer and look at its properties for OS, it says: Windows XP Professional 5.1 (Build 2600: Service Pack 2). So, you could do a filter like I did below, but instead with Server 2008 and make sure that you see the right numbers when do you it with first when SP1 and then with SP2. Then you could mimic that in the job conditions.

imagebrowser image

• 3.  RE: Job condition to identify Windows Server 2008 SP1 and SP2

Posted Jun 12, 2009 12:27 PM
    Great.  I would give it a try next week and report back to you.

Do you happen to know where this condition reads the information from?  system registry, computer object property in DS or elsewhere/
    Thank you for the tips.

• 4.  RE: Job condition to identify Windows Server 2008 SP1 and SP2

Posted Jun 12, 2009 12:39 PM
    Well the DS computer condition will get all its info from the DS eXpress database. DS gets the info of course from the AClient/Dagent, and I don't know if that uses WMI or what. Either way, the data for operating system that is displayed in the computer properties lives in the database, which is why you can filter for it.

imagebrowser image