Endpoint Protection

View Only
  • 1.  Just upgraded to 11.0.6a and "outlook.ost is not a personal folders file".

Posted Aug 17, 2010 11:58 AM

I recently upgraded my SEPM from and all clients/servers from 11.5 to 11.0.6005a.

After the upgrade about 4 or 5 users have reported the problem "outlook.ost is not a personal folders file". We use Outlook 2007 cached mode.
    This problem hasnt been reported before the upgrade and now since Ive seen 4 or 5 of them I'm wondering if the upgrade has done something to cause this or if it's just coincidence?

Also, for those who are planning on upgrading to 11.0.6005 you'll want to be careful. I found out the hard way that after sucessfully upgrading all the clients and then as soon as I updated the server group applications started becoming inaccessible, the upgrade caused the Windows FW to become enabled which caused downtime for a few apps our company uses. Symantec support re-assured that there were no known issues prior to my perfroming the upgrade.........

• 2.  RE: Just upgraded to 11.0.6a and "outlook.ost is not a personal folders file".

Posted Aug 17, 2010 01:27 PM
    I suggest you exclude the .ost file being scanned. that may resolve Outlook issue,

I think Symantec made some change in RU6a at the driver install, it caused issue to me at the initial install reboot time, sometimes we had to send someone to power off and power back the system. At most of time, the install driver  take little time to register the inf file, if no one will not log onto the system immediately after RU6a install, the issue may not be observed,  I added one extra reboot after the RU6s installe, it seemed to me that hide the issue.

• 3.  RE: Just upgraded to 11.0.6a and "outlook.ost is not a personal folders file".

Posted Aug 17, 2010 03:04 PM
    I see that the upgrade to RU6a also made changes to the policy settings, (changed weekly scan settings, update server settings, etc).

have you ever heard of issues with ost files and SEPM?

• 4.  RE: Just upgraded to 11.0.6a and "outlook.ost is not a personal folders file".

Posted Aug 22, 2010 10:52 AM
    I added the exclusion, we'll see how it goes.
    Thanks.

• 5.  RE: Just upgraded to 11.0.6a and "outlook.ost is not a personal folders file".

Posted Aug 25, 2010 11:43 AM
    I too am having issues with my ost files since upgrading to 11 RU6a, however only on Windows 7 machines. I have an open case for this and i have narrowed it down to some type of corruption to the ost file after Defwatch scan or Active scan is completed. Deleting the Outlook profile and ost and re-creating fixes it until another scan occurs and poof!
    I rolled back to 11 RU5 and the problem doesn't occur. I'll let you know what comes of it.

• 6.  RE: Just upgraded to 11.0.6a and "outlook.ost is not a personal folders file".

Posted Aug 25, 2010 12:09 PM
    should have given some more background here.
    we do not install the email scanning components at all.
    we already had ost in our centralized exceptions.

• 7.  RE: Just upgraded to 11.0.6a and "outlook.ost is not a personal folders file".

Posted Aug 25, 2010 12:14 PM
    Cannot open your default e-mail folder. Outlook cannot start because a data file to send and receive mail cannot be found. To add a data file, such as a personal folder file, double-click the Mail icon in Windows Control Panel.