Ghost Solution Suite

View Only
  • 1.  Latitude D830 / GSS 1.1 / Virtual Partition Problem

Posted Jul 03, 2007 09:46 AM

Hello,

I have several new Dell Latitude D830 notebooks. They came with integrated Broadcom BCM57XX Gigabit Ethernet cards. I am using Symantec Ghost Solution Suite 1.1.

I had to use the newest Broadcom drivers (v10.03) provided by Dell in order to create a bootable CD using the Ghost Boot Wizard. Using this CD, I can successfully boot a machine, and perform a GhostCast.

I've also successfully created a Console Boot Partiton. If the Console Boot Partiton is restored to a machine, it will boot into DOS, connect to the network, and contact the Ghost Console. From that point, the machine is visible within the console, and can be imaged normally.

However, I'm having a problem from re-imaging a machine from within Windows. The machine appears in the console, and I can execute an imaging task. Upon reboot to the virtual partition (into DOS), the machine cannot find the network card, it reboots into Windows, and the task fails.

I've selected the same driver that I used for the bootable CD, and the console boot partition. However, booting into the virtual partition always fails.

I've performed some searching, and this thread seems to contain a similar error. However, the solution is not working properly.

https://forums.symantec.com/syment/board/message?board.id=109&message.id=384&query.id=2065#M384

Does anyone have any suggestions? Thanks for your help.

• 2.  RE: Latitude D830 / GSS 1.1 / Virtual Partition Problem

Posted Jul 06, 2007 12:55 PM
    Any ideas?

• 3.  RE: Latitude D830 / GSS 1.1 / Virtual Partition Problem

Posted Jul 06, 2007 01:01 PM
    First I have a question.  In your description above you say that you created a Console boot partition and restore it to a machine and it will image properly.

You say that later you issue an image command from the console and the machine reboots to the "Virtual Partition."  Is it booting to the virtual or to the console boot partition?  Are you overwriting the console boot partition with your image command the first time?

• 4.  RE: Latitude D830 / GSS 1.1 / Virtual Partition Problem

Posted Jul 09, 2007 09:14 AM
    I started with a brand new Latitude D830.

I created a "Network Boot Package" using the Ghost Boot Wizard. (To create a bootable CD).
    I created a "Console Boot Partition" using the Ghost Boot Wizard.

I started the D830 from the CD, and restored the Console Boot Partition image file to the Latitude D830. I overwrote the entire drive.

From that point, the machine booted from it's Hard Drive, with the DOS-based Ghost client. It appeared in the Ghost Console.

I used the Ghost Console to execute an imaging task. The D830 rebooted itself, ran the Ghost.exe program, ran Ghostwalker, and then booted into Windows XP. (Again, the entire drive was overwritten)

When the task was finished. I checked the machine. The Windows image had the Ghost Client for Windows installed. The machine still appeared okay in the console. (Icon in Ghost Console showed "connected").

From this point (while the D830 is running Windows), I've tried to execute an imaging task. The Ghost Console starts the task, and the D830 reboots by itself into DOS (into the virtual partition). When rebooting into DOS, an error message appears. The machine cannot find its network card.

From that point, the machine reboots back into Windows, and the Ghost task fails.

• 5.  RE: Latitude D830 / GSS 1.1 / Virtual Partition Problem

Posted Jul 16, 2007 09:55 AM
    I was able to contact Symantec support, and we solved the issue.

(I also upgraded to Symantec GSS 2.0.1 with a 2-year support contract, but the upgrade wasn't necessary to solve this issue.)

We tried several troubleshooting steps, but this worked:
    ========================================

- Deleted the Console Boot Partition (named GHOSTBOOT in the Computer Management Control Panel).
    - Uninstalled the GSS client, and then re-installed.

Since I originally created the Console Boot Partition on a Latitude D820, it had the older Broadcom driver (v8.28). I needed the newest (v10.03) Broadcom driver for the D830. However, even thought I manually chose a driver template within the Ghost Console, the Console Boot Partition would only use the old driver (v8.28).

After I manually deleted the GHOSTBOOT partition, the Ghost Console detected that the Ghost Boot Partition was not installed. (Which means the virtual partition would be used). I executed the imaging task, and it worked fine. The correct DOS driver loaded.

The Symantec tech recommended checking "Overwrite Ghost Boot Partition." It's located under Task --> Clone Tab --> ADVANCED button.