Endpoint Protection

View Only
  • 1.  Left over Symantec 11 definitions after upgrade to 12.1.x?

Posted Sep 10, 2015 01:40 PM

Hello!

I have a Symantec Manager that was upgraded from version 11.0.6 to 12.1.4 and than 12.1.5 on windows server 2008 x64. There is low disk space on the server and I am cleaning up old data.

I found in the SEPM definition folder

C:\ProgramData\Symantec\Definitions\SymcData

4 folders dating back to 4-15-14

sesmvirdef64

1.3GB

sesmvirdef32

1.29GB

in both sub folder is binhub same size as definition folder

I suspect I can delete both of these but wanted advisement on them.

The following seem necessary based on my research but show the old date still.

sesmipsdef64

1.8MB

sesmipsdef32

1.7MB

I am less concerned about these but the next oldest folder is 5-28-15

spcBASH

8MB

sepm121RU2ApPrtlLst

50KB

Thank you for your time!

• 2.  RE: Left over Symantec 11 definitions after upgrade to 12.1.x?
    Best Answer

Posted Sep 10, 2015 02:16 PM

These could be corrupt defs from an old version so you can manually remove these directories. Shouldn't be an issue.

• 3.  RE: Left over Symantec 11 definitions after upgrade to 12.1.x?

Broadcom Employee
    Posted Sep 10, 2015 02:26 PM

Hi,

Thank you for posting your query on Symantec community.

By looking at above stats I don't think SEPM is utilizing very high disk space. It's not recommended to delete those folders.

SEP 12.1 RU5 has new featured called as Content Storage Optimization feature. As part of the upgrade to SEPM 12.1 RU5, the SEPM converts all of the content from full definitions to delta definitions. This process is resource intensive and may take an extended period of time. After this process is completed, the SEPM will use significantly less disk space

Refer this article to find more info: The LiveUpdate content optimization and content storage space optimization steps take a long time to complete when upgrading to Symantec Endpoint Protection Manager 12.1 RU5

http://www.symantec.com/docs/TECH224055

If you have recently upgraded then give some time for the SEPM to purge the database size.

• 4.  RE: Left over Symantec 11 definitions after upgrade to 12.1.x?

Posted Sep 10, 2015 03:16 PM

Chetan,

Thanks for the response, but the install from 12.1.4 to 12.1.5337.5000 Shows as being done on 5-28-15.

I have seen client upgrades of 11 to 12.1.5 leave behind the old Virus definitions in the old common folder and need to be manually scrubbed out. This seems to be the case with these. Is there no official list of what definition folders should be present on a 12.1.5 manager install under C:\ProgramData\Symantec\Definitions\SymcData ?

The link you provided notes there could be 30 definition revisions stored. This would be where the manager is actually installed and that is not on the C drive in my environment. It's on a different drive. The precise location is

D:\Program Files (x86)\Symantec\Symantec Endpoint Protection Manager\Inetpub\content

Again this is not the directory I am trying to clean up, I am trying to clean up the static, cannot be changed ever, dated definition folder that Symantec makes stay on the C drive.

C:\ProgramData\Symantec\Definitions\SymcData

I really do not want to go and setup a test database and do a fresh install of 12.1.5 just to see what folders it really needs.

• 5.  RE: Left over Symantec 11 definitions after upgrade to 12.1.x?
    Best Answer

Broadcom Employee
    Posted Sep 10, 2015 03:34 PM

You can delete those folders manually & as you mentioned those are very back dated so I don't think it may cause any issue.

• 6.  RE: Left over Symantec 11 definitions after upgrade to 12.1.x?

Posted Sep 10, 2015 03:38 PM

As I mentioned, you should be fine deleting them

• 7.  RE: Left over Symantec 11 definitions after upgrade to 12.1.x?

Posted Sep 10, 2015 04:04 PM

Brian

Sorry, I am just trying to safe than sorry.

With two advisements to go ahead and delete I have renamed the files to .old and will check results after tomorrow mornings live update runs.

Thanks!

• 8.  RE: Left over Symantec 11 definitions after upgrade to 12.1.x?

Posted Sep 11, 2015 08:37 AM

Live update completed today without any issues. I deleted the old folders and all appears well still.

Thanks Brian and Chetan!

• 9.  RE: Left over Symantec 11 definitions after upgrade to 12.1.x?

Posted Sep 11, 2015 08:42 AM

You're welcome :)

• 10.  RE: Left over Symantec 11 definitions after upgrade to 12.1.x?

Broadcom Employee
    Posted Sep 11, 2015 09:33 AM

That's a good news & thks for the update.