Discovery and Inventory Group

View Only
Expand all | Collapse all

License count: 1, in use: 1 in AMS 7.1 SP2 (7.1.7580)

• 1.  License count: 1, in use: 1 in AMS 7.1 SP2 (7.1.7580)

Posted Mar 12, 2012 11:25 AM

Dear All, 

I am getting the following error in AMS 7.1 SP2 (7.1.7580) when I try to create an object:

License Count for CMDB/Asset Management Solution has been exceeded.

Licenses owned:1, in use:1

I have found the following SymWise article that says that it has been fixed in 7.1 SP2:

http://www.symantec.com/business/support/index?page=content&id=TECH166149

Has anyone else seen this since SP2 was launched?

Kindest regards,

QuietLeni

• 2.  RE: License count: 1, in use: 1 in AMS 7.1 SP2 (7.1.7580)

Posted Mar 12, 2012 01:46 PM

Dear All,

I am wondering if the DLL in the Hotfix for 7.1 SP1 is installed on this serverat all. I cannot find it. It is called Altiris.AssetContractCommon.dll in the Hotfix, but I cannot find this anywhere on the server. All I can find is the Altiris.AssetContractCommon.Web.dll file in:

Altiris\CMDB\web\Bin

I think that this might be a completely different file, as it is half the size of the file in the Hotfix!

Can anyone shed some light on this? Should I be looking for the file on the production server or not?

Kindest regards,

QuietLeni

• 3.  RE: License count: 1, in use: 1 in AMS 7.1 SP2 (7.1.7580)

Broadcom Employee
    Posted Mar 13, 2012 03:01 AM

As the TECH166149 article says, the workaround may or may not work.

The TECH164082 gives other possible workarounds for this problem:

• Wait 5 minutes for the license to release.
    • Restart the Altiris Services to immediately release the license.

• 4.  RE: License count: 1, in use: 1 in AMS 7.1 SP2 (7.1.7580)

Posted Mar 13, 2012 05:07 AM

Triinu,

The article does discuss these things and I have been waiting for 5 minutes to release the license, however:

1) It happens for EVERY type of object!

2) I need to wait for 5 minutes EVERY time I need to make an object?! I mean, seriously?

The article also says that the issue was fixed in AMS 7.1 SP2 - I am using this version and it is DEFINITELY not fixed for me!

Kindest regards,

QuietLeni

• 5.  RE: License count: 1, in use: 1 in AMS 7.1 SP2 (7.1.7580)

Posted Mar 13, 2012 11:11 AM

Hi QuietLeni,

I have seen the same behaviour in an SP2 environment.

I had a case logged for this one, but solved the issue (through workaround) myself in this particular case.

It seems that for this environment all direct members of the Symantec administrators group were consuming 2 licenses per connection.

Once I removed these direct members and had them synched through an Active Directory group (role and account import) and made that group member of the Symantec Administrators group, the problem was solved.

You can try that one.

kr,

dawi_x

• 6.  RE: License count: 1, in use: 1 in AMS 7.1 SP2 (7.1.7580)

Posted Mar 14, 2012 05:19 AM

dawi_x,

I tried this and it worked for creating two objects, then it stopped working.

Oh well...

Kindest regards,

QuietLeni

• 7.  RE: License count: 1, in use: 1 in AMS 7.1 SP2 (7.1.7580)

Broadcom Employee
    Posted Mar 14, 2012 05:32 AM

I'm not sure if this is any help, but I found out that the "License exceeded" error is not only displayed when the license is really exceeded, but also when the request for license is sent and during 10 seconds there is no response from the service.

It's a known issue and Symantec is working on fixing it.

• 8.  RE: License count: 1, in use: 1 in AMS 7.1 SP2 (7.1.7580)

Posted Mar 14, 2012 06:21 AM

Triinu,

It seems that there are many issues with licensing AMS 7.1 SP2 and especially with companies with 1 license. I do not think that this is the case, as the response from the AMS is not over 10 seconds for this operation.

I am trying to get Symantec Licensing to give me a temporary revised license file to fix this issue according to the TECH166149 article and under the advice of Symantec Technical Support.

Kindest regards,

QuietLeni

• 9.  RE: License count: 1, in use: 1 in AMS 7.1 SP2 (7.1.7580)

Posted Mar 14, 2012 07:28 AM

bugger..

It did work for this particular customer..and kept on working..

Support also told me this was a known issue, and that the causes were different for a lot of customers. They also said they will be revising the licensing method used to resolve these kind of issues.

It should be no problem to get the temp keys as long as you have a tech support case open for it.

cheers,

dawi

• 10.  RE: License count: 1, in use: 1 in AMS 7.1 SP2 (7.1.7580)
    Best Answer

Posted Mar 14, 2012 10:24 AM

dawi_x,

Sorry, that did not fix the issue - I can see your sadness in your post that you did not get the Solution.

I applied the revised AMS license with 2 nodes and all is now well!

Thanks Symantec!

Kindest regards,

QuietLeni