Endpoint Protection

View Only
  • 1.  licensing question about upgrade 11.x to 12.1

Posted Jan 29, 2012 06:38 PM

Hi All,

I currently use SEP 11 with a SEPM server and 16 clients (including the one running on the server).

I have received the opportunity from symantec to upgrade my license to the one for SEP 12.1. It refers to a 5 user business pack. In the licensing site the license SKU is:

SYMC ENDPOINT PROTECTION 12.1 I/O 5 USER BNDL BUS PACK BASIC 12 MONTHS (21196729)

I think it refers to symantec edpoint protection (not small business edition), right?

This is the last licens I've bought (and if I remember well, it was for 11.x NOT small business edition, so also the upgraded one shoud be not for SBE, right?)

Now, I have those 5 licenses for 12.1 clients, but as I said I have 16 cliens. The other licenses I think are too old to get automatic upgrade, so I should buy new ones...My questions are

1. Do I have to buy new ones or I can have a mixed environment 11.x/12.1?

2. If I can have mixed environment, what's the upgrade process? first of all I think I should upgrade SEPM server right?

3. If I can't, I can buy licenses for SEP 12 SBE and let them be managed by the normal SEMP?

4. What are the differences between non SBE and SBE? There are only client differences or also server-side differences (SEPM=SEMP for SBE?)

5. Also, some of the clients are installed on HYPER-V virtual machines. They do need a license anyway right? There is no special license for virtual machines (like SSR 2011 virtual edition in the SSR 2011 case)?

• 2.  RE: licensing question about upgrade 11.x to 12.1

Posted Jan 29, 2012 08:07 PM

1. Do I have to buy new ones or I can have a mixed environment 11.x/12.1?

No, Version 11.0 do not require any licenses. Even if you upgrade your SEPM to 12.1 the 11.0 clients would continue to communicate.

2. If I can have mixed environment, what's the upgrade process? first of all I think I should upgrade SEPM server right?

Your right, you should upgrade SEPM first and then the clients from there.

3. If I can't, I can buy licenses for SEP 12 SBE and let them be managed by the normal SEMP?

No, SEPM SBE and SEPm Enterprise edidtion are 2 different products and they cannot be mixed with each other, as per your information it seems that you have an Enterprise Edition, So even after the upgrade it would continue to remain Enterprise Edition only with version upgraded.

4. What are the differences between non SBE and SBE? There are only client differences or also server-side differences (SEPM=SEMP for SBE?)

There are quite some amjor differences. In short I would say that SBE is limited.

https://www-secure.symantec.com/connect/forums/endpoint-protection-basic-or-endpoint-protection-small-business

. Also, some of the clients are installed on HYPER-V virtual machines. They do need a license anyway right? There is no special license for virtual machines (like SSR 2011 virtual edition in the SSR 2011 case)?

No, there's no special licenses for virtual machines. If your installing SEP on the machine or upgrading, it would behave like any other normal client.

Installation and Migration Documents for Symantec Endpoint Protection 12.1

http://www.symantec.com/business/support/index?page=content&id=TECH163707&key=54619

• 3.  RE: licensing question about upgrade 11.x to 12.1

Posted Jan 30, 2012 09:12 AM

now I have a little duobt on how to perform migration: from the documents linked, it says:

Remove any packages assigned to the client groups.  In particular, if you have any packages with "Maintain existing client features when upgrading" unchecked, these packages must be removed.  See Clients show "No Symantec protection technologies are installed" after migrating the SEPM from 11.x to 12.1

removing them doesn't mean that the clients will unistall SEP 11 functionalities? How to migrate only some of them?

also it says:

Manage product licenses

Symantec Endpoint Protection 12.1 is licensed according to the number of Endpoint Protection clients that are needed to protect the endpoints at your site. Once the Symantec Endpoint Protection Manager is installed, you may immediately deploy clients. New Manager installations come with a trial license: you have 60 days to purchase and activate a license that covers all of your deployed clients. When migrating from an older version of Symantec Endpoint Protection (versions 11.x or 12.0), you start with an upgrade license that expires in 241 days. Note: Small Business Edition comes with a 30-day trial license, whether it is an upgrade or new installation.

it mean that is the manager that is trial, or clients? If not enough licenses are installed, does the entire site stop working, or only a certain number of clients?

• 4.  RE: licensing question about upgrade 11.x to 12.1
    Best Answer

Trusted Advisor
    Posted Jan 30, 2012 09:43 AM

Hello,

For SEP 12.1 EE, all clients will receive updates from the manager, but you will continue to get license warnings until you have the proper amount of licenses purchased.

If it is SEP 12.1 SBE, over deployed clients will not receive definitions.

If you are using the correct license count and SEPM is showing over deployed status see this KB. http://www.symantec.com/docs/TECH168121 

Checking License Status - http://www.symantec.com/docs/HOWTO55070

Check the Attachments.

Attachment(s)

• 5.  RE: licensing question about upgrade 11.x to 12.1

Posted Jan 30, 2012 10:37 PM

removing them doesn't mean that the clients will unistall SEP 11 functionalities? How to migrate only some of them?

No It would not uninstall the SEP client from the machines. Your just removing the package and not the install of the client.

it mean that is the manager that is trial, or clients? If not enough licenses are installed, does the entire site stop working, or only a certain number of clients?

It means that if you get overdeployed which means that if your licensed for 5 machines and you deploy 12.1 on 6 machines, you would be over deployed by 1 machine and that would work for a period of 60 days as a trial period by that time you would have to purchase an additional license or else the client would stop receiving definitions.

The same is for the SEPM, you need to update your licenses on it withing 60 days.In the SEPM once you update your license file, all your clients become licensed automatically.