Endpoint Protection

View Only
Expand all | Collapse all

Live Update Administrator 2.2.1 fails to work !

Migration User

Migration UserApr 08, 2010 06:17 AM

• 1.  Live Update Administrator 2.2.1 fails to work !

Posted Apr 07, 2010 05:23 PM

After installing the Live Update Administrator 2.2.1, I have double clicked on the icon it created on the desktop. Result is as below.

HTTP Status 404 - /lua/

type Status report

message /lua/

description The requested resource (/lua/) is not available.

Apache Tomcat/5.5.26

My configuration is:
    Brand new HP Server with 4 Gb RAM, 500 Gb HDD, Windows 2003 Server (domain).

What can be wrong ? I have seen many unsolved mysteries about this product. Was it a mistake to buy Endpoint Protection ?

I've uninstalled and installed it again, checked the LUA Apache Tomcat service and LUA PostgreSQL service (both started). Also I could not find failure message in the error logs of Windows.

I AM SURE THERE ARE PLENTY OF USERS WHICH HAVE GOT FRUSTRATED ABOUT THIS AS MUCH AS ME (HELPDESK COULD NOT SOLVE IT !!! - THE HELPDESK TOLD ME TO INSTALL IT ON AN XP MACHINE INSTEAD. WHAT A SOLUTION ! ) PLEASE HELP WITH THIS....

• 2.  RE: Live Update Administrator 2.2.1 fails to work !

Posted Apr 07, 2010 05:47 PM
    Make sure these ports are available.

Name
    LUA 2.1 Port number
    LUA 2.2 Port number
    Tomcat
    Tomcat shutdown
    PostgreSQL Database

Installing and configuring LiveUpdate Administrator 2.x

http://service1.symantec.com/support/ent-security.nsf/854fa02b4f5013678825731a007d06af/d3f7ad3afc74a5fb8825737900704853?OpenDocument

• 3.  RE: Live Update Administrator 2.2.1 fails to work !

Posted Apr 07, 2010 06:08 PM
    Thank you for your fast reply.

All of those ports are available and not used by any service else. The LUA I use is 2.2 so it uses 7070, 7071, 7072. Is there a way of testing them if they are assigned correctly ?

In my last installation try, I have actually looked at that document you have posted and I installed IIS too (although I didnt understand the reason to install IIS as Apache is a webserver too). But again the same result.

• 4.  RE: Live Update Administrator 2.2.1 fails to work !

Posted Apr 07, 2010 06:24 PM
    Hi Wiseguy,

Can you netstat -anbp tcp and verifiy listening or established connections for postgres.exe (7072), tomcat5.exe (7070, 7071)?

• 5.  RE: Live Update Administrator 2.2.1 fails to work !

Posted Apr 07, 2010 06:42 PM
    Dear Tbone65,

I have done the netstat -anbp tcp ( >netstat.txt). Here are the related info.

Active Connections

Proto  Local Address          Foreign Address        State           PID

TCP    0.0.0.0:7070           0.0.0.0:0              LISTENING       1920   [tomcat5.exe]
      TCP    0.0.0.0:8009           0.0.0.0:0              LISTENING       1920   [tomcat5.exe]
      TCP    127.0.0.1:7071      0.0.0.0:0              LISTENING       1920   [tomcat5.exe]
      TCP    127.0.0.1:7072      0.0.0.0:0              LISTENING       2856   [postgres.exe]

• 6.  RE: Live Update Administrator 2.2.1 fails to work !

Posted Apr 07, 2010 07:17 PM

I had similar issue before, re-install java runtime fixed the issue. give it a try.

• 7.  RE: Live Update Administrator 2.2.1 fails to work !

Posted Apr 08, 2010 01:04 AM
    Since this is a fresh install I recommend you to use LUA 2.2.2.9.It can be downloaded from this link.

Remove any Java present then download and install JRE 6 update 18.Then install this..

• 8.  RE: Live Update Administrator 2.2.1 fails to work !

Posted Apr 08, 2010 05:22 AM
    Thanks , but as per your advice I have uninstalled the JRE ver 6.19 and reinstalled it, the problem carries on.

AravindKM - I will test your solution and let you know immediately.  The latest JRE version is 6u19 btw.

• 9.  RE: Live Update Administrator 2.2.1 fails to work !

Posted Apr 08, 2010 06:01 AM

I have downloaded the LUA 2.2.2.9 from the link given above.

I have uninstalled the JRE and the LUA 2.2.1.

I have installed the latest JRE 6u19.

I have installed LUA 2.2.2.9 (LUAESD.EXE) (user: bsadmin pass: liveupdate)

Double clicked the link on the desktop, internet explorer opens and the Apache gives the same error message.

Problem continues. Nothing has changed.

• 10.  RE: Live Update Administrator 2.2.1 fails to work !

Posted Apr 08, 2010 06:05 AM
    In services are you able to see those two services of LUA?Whether they are started?

• 11.  RE: Live Update Administrator 2.2.1 fails to work !

Posted Apr 08, 2010 06:11 AM
    In Services:

LUA Apache Tomcat - STARTED ("F:\Program Files\Symantec\LiveUpdate Administrator\tomcat\bin\tomcat5.exe" //RS//LUATomcat)

LUA PostgreSQL - STARTED (F:/Program Files/Symantec/LiveUpdate Administrator/pgsql/bin/pg_ctl.exe runservice -N "LUA PostgreSQL" -D "F:/Program Files/Symantec/LiveUpdate Administrator/pgsql/data")

• 12.  RE: Live Update Administrator 2.2.1 fails to work !

Posted Apr 08, 2010 06:17 AM
    Reboot the server once and try..

• 13.  RE: Live Update Administrator 2.2.1 fails to work !

Posted Apr 08, 2010 06:38 AM
    In the browser manually give following URL and see what happens
    http://localhost:7070/lua/logon.do

• 14.  RE: Live Update Administrator 2.2.1 fails to work !

Posted Apr 08, 2010 09:01 AM

HTTP Status 404 - /lua/logon.do

type Status report
    message /lua/logon.do
    description
    The requested resource (/lua/logon.do) is not available.

That didnt work either :(

• 15.  RE: Live Update Administrator 2.2.1 fails to work !

Posted Apr 08, 2010 09:15 AM
    check if LU service is started in services.msc

• 16.  RE: Live Update Administrator 2.2.1 fails to work !

Posted Apr 08, 2010 09:20 AM

As I have stated above, both LUA Apache Tomcat  & LUA Postgre SQL seems to have started with out any problem.

• 17.  RE: Live Update Administrator 2.2.1 fails to work !

Posted Apr 08, 2010 09:28 AM
    1. Go to WindowsSettingsControl PanelAdministrative ToolsServicesLUA PostgreSQL>PropertiesLog On
    2. Select Local System Account instead of LUASrvUser account on the screen below.
    3. Restart the service.

• 18.  RE: Live Update Administrator 2.2.1 fails to work !

Posted Apr 08, 2010 09:34 AM
    Are you install the product on the different partitions? what happens if you install it in the c:\ drive? also is your OS is 32 bit or 64 bit?

• 19.  RE: Live Update Administrator 2.2.1 fails to work !

Posted Apr 08, 2010 10:06 AM

Yes, currently I'm installing it on drive F: , but we have tried installing to drive C: many times too, the result is the same (also checked the paths in tomcat conf files).

It doesnt make a difference if its drive C: or anything else as the setup modifies the path accordingly, correctly.

Honestly, I started to think that the matter is somewhere between Apache and LUA as Apache seems to be operating as it should be, but can not contact the LUA.

• 20.  RE: Live Update Administrator 2.2.1 fails to work !

Posted Apr 08, 2010 10:09 AM

There is no user as LUASrvUser.

Its by default set to Local System Account

(Reminder: this machine is a DC).

• 21.  RE: Live Update Administrator 2.2.1 fails to work !

Posted Apr 08, 2010 12:47 PM
    Before you drive yourself crazy trying to get this to work, what are your goals for installing and using LUA? The reason I ask is that LUA is considered an optional installation.  Is to provide an alternate, internal source for content updates should the SEPM be unavailable?  Do you need to host content for (i.e.) Linux or Macintosh computers?  How many client machines do you have?  Is this intended to provide content to remote sites so they don't have to reach across a WAN to get updates?

That said--

- Are there any entries recorded in the Event Log when you try to connect?

- This is a DC--has it been hardened?  It's possible that credentials needed to access the console were unable to be created during the installation.  Please search for the file STDout.log and post it.

Thanks,
    sandra

• 22.  RE: Live Update Administrator 2.2.1 fails to work !

Posted Apr 08, 2010 03:50 PM

Ok. Where are my answers:
    • The reason for installing LUA is that I have 4 remote locations which are connected to me on 256k lines (not to internet - mpls -  yes in some parts of the world those things still exist) with about 30 users at each location. The SEPM is at where I am which I have created the policies and the install packages etc. The packages have all been sent to locations on memorysticks so that we dont wait for it to transfer in 2 days or so.
    • Each location will consist of a LUA, where the clients will be updated in regular intervals, while the distant LUA's sync'ing with the LUA or SEPM at central base. I could load SEPM on each locations server but why create discover the word over and over again ?As far as I'm concerned LUA is not an option but a part of the solution of Symantec's Live Update utility, provided for corporate/business customers and currently its not doing what it says it does on the box.
    • This is a DC but its actually a softened one. I've searched the entire machine for STDout.log but it doesnt exist. Where should it be ?
    • Just for testing, I loaded the LUA in the same manner, to a clean installed WinXP Pro32 SP3 (En). The error is the same.
    • This may be something, as I found alot of Postgre related error messages on Win2K3's Application Error Event log:
    The description for Event ID ( 0 ) in Source ( PostgreSQL ) cannot be found. The local computer may not have the necessary registry information or message DLL files to display messages from a remote computer. You may be able to use the /AUXSOURCE= flag to retrieve this description; see Help and Support for details. The following information is part of the event: LOG:  checkpoint record is at 0/79FD90

The description for Event ID ( 0 ) in Source ( PostgreSQL ) cannot be found. The local computer may not have the necessary registry information or message DLL files to display messages from a remote computer. You may be able to use the /AUXSOURCE= flag to retrieve this description; see Help and Support for details. The following information is part of the event: LOG:  redo record is at 0/79FD90; undo record is at 0/0; shutdown TRUE

The description for Event ID ( 0 ) in Source ( PostgreSQL ) cannot be found. The local computer may not have the necessary registry information or message DLL files to display messages from a remote computer. You may be able to use the /AUXSOURCE= flag to retrieve this description; see Help and Support for details. The following information is part of the event: LOG:  next transaction ID: 0/1202; next OID: 17644
    The description for Event ID ( 101 ) in Source ( Automatic LiveUpdate Scheduler ) cannot be found. The local computer may not have the necessary registry information or message DLL files to display messages from a remote computer. You may be able to use the /AUXSOURCE= flag to retrieve this description; see Help and Support for details. The following information is part of the event: error; Failed unregistering service..

The description for Event ID ( 0 ) in Source ( PostgreSQL ) cannot be found. The local computer may not have the necessary registry information or message DLL files to display messages from a remote computer. You may be able to use the /AUXSOURCE= flag to retrieve this description; see Help and Support for details. The following information is part of the event: LOG:  next MultiXactId: 1; next MultiXactOffset: 0

Is there an extra internal event log in Postgres or Tomcat that I can post ?

• 23.  RE: Live Update Administrator 2.2.1 fails to work !

Posted Apr 08, 2010 04:18 PM
    If you are going to use a local LU Server at each site that will gets its' definitions from a master LU server or the SEPM, would there be any reason not to just install the SEP client on this server and instead designate it as a GUP?  Then only it would come across the pipe for definitions and all clients would get definitions from the local GUP.  No hassling with LUA.  You can also set bandwidth throttling for the GUP so he doesn't use the whole 256K getting the definitions from the main SEPM.

• 24.  RE: Live Update Administrator 2.2.1 fails to work !

Posted Apr 09, 2010 01:10 AM
    Your setup is like this .One central office and 4 branch offices which is connecting to central office with 256kbps link and 30 pc is present in each location.Am I right?
    In this scenario it is better to install SEP Manager in central office connect all clients to it,use GUP for definition distribution.Have a look in this article also ,you will get a lot of good points from it.
    Tips For Installing SEP In A Low Bandwidth Environment

You can use a computer already using in the brach as GUP.This GUP funsionality will not add any additional load..

• 25.  RE: Live Update Administrator 2.2.1 fails to work !

Posted Apr 09, 2010 02:53 PM

Well, I think your justification for using LUA is a pretty strong one, as it gives you central management (i.e. 1 SEPM) between all of your sites but eliminates content from passing over the slow network link even once (which would need to happen with GUPs), and only sends policies (which are very small). And yes, I can assure you--LUA does install and work ;)

I can't find any reference to the errors you're seeing in our KB.  If it happened on two different machines, one thing in common is your domain login credentials.  Perhaps you are a member of a group with lesser rights and permissions than your Domain Admin account (presumably with Local Admin rights), ie. Everyone.  What happens if you log in as the local Administrator account and try to install?

sandra

• 26.  RE: Live Update Administrator 2.2.1 fails to work !

Posted Apr 09, 2010 03:13 PM
    Well he speaks of each remote LUA syncing with the central SEPM or central LUA, so I think he's saying it's alright for ONE computer to come across the pipe for definitions and if that's the case, I can't see why you couldn't use a GUP.  It will be way easier to manage then LUA, and you can designate certain clients as GUP's in a matter of minutes (poilcy update time) in case your GUP goes down.

• 27.  RE: Live Update Administrator 2.2.1 fails to work !

Posted Apr 09, 2010 04:04 PM

True, true... I would tend to steer people away from LUA just because of the extra administrative overhead.  As long as they keep enough revisions in the SEPM in order to build deltas for machines that (for example) shut down over the weekend, then clients on the remote sites won't have to request a full definition download.

sandra
    ps. Sorry, I somehow completely missed your previous post about this :-/