Endpoint Protection

View Only
  • 1.  LiveUpdate causes pages/sec to go to 100%

Posted Nov 06, 2009 09:27 AM
    Users in our organization have complained about their computer being extremely slow at times.
    We found out that when LiveUpdate finishes the installation of virus definition updates, it does a scan.
    This scan does not seem to cause any excessive cpu usage or memory usage, but it does cause excessive pages/sec.
    We have used windows perfmon.exe to find this out.

When this happened, we stopped SEP on those computer(s) and the computers were fast again.
    We are using SEP version 11.0.4014.26.

How can we solve this problem?

• 2.  RE: LiveUpdate causes pages/sec to go to 100%

Posted Nov 06, 2009 09:36 AM
    Hi,

You can start with upgrtading the client to the latest version RU5, and let us know if the issue persists.

Aniket

• 3.  RE: LiveUpdate causes pages/sec to go to 100%

Posted Nov 06, 2009 09:45 AM
    1.Open the Symantec Endpoint Protection Manager.
    2. Select Policies from the far left.
    3. Highlight Antivirus and Antispyware under the View Policies section in the middle column.
    4. Highlight the active policy from the right side of the manager.
    5. Click Edit the Policy under the Tasks menu is the middle column.
    6. A new window will open.
    7. Select Administrator-defined Scans from the far left menu in the new window.
    8. Select the Advanced tab.
    9. From under Startup and Triggered Scans uncheck Run startup scans when users log on and uncheck Run an active scan when new definitions arrive.

• 4.  RE: LiveUpdate causes pages/sec to go to 100%

Posted Nov 06, 2009 10:34 AM

It was a bug and fixed in MR4 MP2 upgrading to latest issues should fix the issue. Please check the fix id.

Release notes for Symantec Endpoint Protection 11.0.x and Symantec Network Access Control 11.0.x

http://service1.symantec.com/SUPPORT/ent-security.nsf/docid/2007121216360648

High paged pool memory usage for Auto-Protect
    Fix ID:
    Symptom: Pool monitor shows high memory usage for SavE and SaEe pooltags.
    Solution: AV engine update.

• 5.  RE: LiveUpdate causes pages/sec to go to 100%

Posted Nov 06, 2009 10:38 AM
    Interesting that it's the LU processes I have to end in order to get control of the computer back.
    I see it quite a bit on my home computers, and a Ctrl-Alt-Del / task list shows LUCOMS and LUPROXY (or whatever it was called) and other LU related tasks pegging processor and memory.
    Ending the LU******* tasks let's me work again.