Endpoint Protection

View Only
  • 1.  LiveUpdate tool in client machine unable to contact liveupdate after SEP 12.1 upgrade

Posted Apr 16, 2012 11:47 PM

Hi All,

We have updated our SEPM and SEP client to version 12.1.1000.157 RU1. On a particular client, which is MS Windows Server 2003 R2 with Exchange server 2003 and Symantec Mail Security for MS Exchange version 6.5.2.96 installed, the LiveUpdate tool is not able to contact liveupdate.symantecliveupdate.com to download virus definition updates, for both SEP as well as SMSME, after the upgrade.

The log that I got from SEP system log is the following:

LiveUpdate encountered an error: Failed to resolve proxy server name (0xA100000C).

Even after I have changed the proxy setting and authentication detail in LiveUpdate tool, I am still unable to connect to liveupdate.

I had also went and compare the LiveUpdate tool setting to another server (which has not been upgraded to SEP version 12.1) and noticed that it was able to connect to liveupdate with the same settings. 

Can someone please shed some lights on this?

Thanks in advance,

HW

• 2.  RE: LiveUpdate tool in client machine unable to contact liveupdate after SEP 12.1 upgrade

Posted Apr 17, 2012 04:53 AM

Check this document:

Mail Security or Scan Engine product no longer receives new virus definitions after installing Symantec Endpoint Protection 12.1 or Higher

http://www.symantec.com/docs/TECH161644

And here is a thread related to the topic:

https://www-secure.symantec.com/connect/forums/after-installing-sep-121-beta-mail-security-exchange-not-getting-live-updates

• 3.  RE: LiveUpdate tool in client machine unable to contact liveupdate after SEP 12.1 upgrade

Posted Apr 17, 2012 05:45 AM

Hi HW,

SEP 12.1 RU1 uses a new version of LiveUpdate called LUE.  SMSMSE uses the older/traditional Windows LiveUpdate client.  The two differnt tools do not share any settings or files, so if both are experiencing connectivity trouble regarding the proxy, my first impression would be that the root is an underlying issue with the server rather than any misconfiguration in the new SEP/LUE.  Do any other programs on that server have trouble with connectivity/resolution/proxy-?

On an unrelated but important note: the next release of SMSMSE, 6.5.7, is expected to be available within the coming weeks.  Definitely do download and upgrade to this release once it is out, as it includes important definition-related improvements.

Hope this helps!