Endpoint Protection

View Only
  • 1.  Manual Update of SAV 10.2 (corp) in a Domain PC

Posted Apr 27, 2009 05:13 AM
    can anybody help me on this? I downloaded the virus definition update and run it on a domain pc with a non-admin credential. It seems that the update runs forever - ie, it doesn't give any confirmation popup window. If i switch to admin credential it update accodingly without any hasle.

• 2.  RE: Manual Update of SAV 10.2 (corp) in a Domain PC

Posted Apr 27, 2009 10:24 AM
     It could be the fact that you are a normal user and are not allowed to run executables.

• 3.  RE: Manual Update of SAV 10.2 (corp) in a Domain PC

Posted Apr 27, 2009 02:51 PM
    System account should do the updates automatically, these are admin accounts.

• 4.  RE: Manual Update of SAV 10.2 (corp) in a Domain PC

Posted Apr 28, 2009 10:50 PM
    yes, I do realize that non-admin accounts can't do the update. But it is not our company intention to give admin access to every normal user as well. Is there any way to work around this?

• 5.  RE: Manual Update of SAV 10.2 (corp) in a Domain PC

Posted Apr 29, 2009 01:11 PM
    Are you using a Parent Server? you can configure this client to get updates from the parent server.

But I think your case is the computer is vista, and you want the user (non-admin account) to run liveupdate. Is this your situation?

Can you give the user access rights to vpdn_lu.exe? it's in Program Files, Live update folder.

• 6.  RE: Manual Update of SAV 10.2 (corp) in a Domain PC

Posted Apr 29, 2009 02:01 PM
    Another way is running remotly an update job with admin credential. So by the user side is not necessary gives any special permission or use the admin user locally.

• 7.  RE: Manual Update of SAV 10.2 (corp) in a Domain PC

Posted Apr 29, 2009 02:04 PM
    FFup on my post, after you gave permission to vpdn_lu.exe, then add it to scheduled tasks see if it will run liveupdate.

• 8.  RE: Manual Update of SAV 10.2 (corp) in a Domain PC

Posted Apr 29, 2009 11:16 PM
    thanks for all the suggestion. Here is our detail scenario

1. We are not using parent server. All SAV installation is an unmanage-standalone SAV. At the moment management does not want to invest on getting a full fledge SAV server infrastructure.
    2. Users can't run liveupdate as they doesn't have access to internet. We like to keep it that way as internet pose a security threat to our network. We will put an executable definition file update on a file server and users are to copy this file to their respective machine and run it there.
    3. Most of the OS on our users machine are Windows XP Pro.
    4. Yes running a manual update remotely using admin credential does work but it is not practicle. We have quite a number of pcs and limited manpower resources.

• 9.  RE: Manual Update of SAV 10.2 (corp) in a Domain PC

Posted May 01, 2009 06:23 PM
    How about scheduling a liveupdate on task scheduler and then using an administrator account to create the task.

• 10.  RE: Manual Update of SAV 10.2 (corp) in a Domain PC

Posted May 04, 2009 04:26 AM
    Create a windows schedule task to download the updates using LUALL.Exe. Else manually download and copy/paste or use exe to run it.