Deployment Solution

View Only
  • 1.  Marvell Yukon 88E8042 and Linux Pre-Boot

Posted Jun 12, 2009 11:55 AM

We recently got a new HP laptop, the 6735S, and it has a Marvell Yukon 88E8042. The included sky2/sk98lin drivers do not seem to support the driver.

So, we got the kernel version 2.6.18.8, and compiled the latest driver from Marvell and added it to a new Boot Disk configuration. No luck getting a network connection.

So, I then went into the sky2.c file, added the device ID 4357 for the card, and compiled that driver and added it to a new Boot Disk. I also made it first priority in the Network Card driver list, but still no ethernet connection.

I'm wondering if anyone can point me in the right direction -- are we using a wrong driver here? Is there some sort of step to actually have the driver load that I am missing?

Thank you!

• 2.  RE: Marvell Yukon 88E8042 and Linux Pre-Boot

Posted Jun 12, 2009 12:49 PM
    I've been told by Symantec the Yukon drivers don't follow the normal Linux driver layout or standards (?) and that it wouldn't work to compile it. I was finally able to get sk98lin to compile but it didn't work right. There were posts all about this with feedback from a Symantec employee, but it appears to be gone after the juice revamp. The google cache doesn't pick them up anymore either. In short, it won't be supported until they go with a newer kernel in a future DS build. I switched to WinPE2.1 myself. I resisted it at first, but now driver support is much easier.