Endpoint Protection

View Only
  • 1.  migration from 10.1 to SEP now or later?

Posted Oct 04, 2009 05:16 AM
    Hi,

I am justwondering if SEP matured enough to migrate over,
    we are still using 10.1 and were thinking about migration
    but seeing how many bugs there is in SEP we are wondering
    if it's time to deploy?

Did anyone think that they were to fast with migration?
    What are your experiances now that you are on SEP for some time?

Last thing I would do is to migrate and then later had to downgrade...
    Maybe its just better to wait for some period?

Is SEP management server more demanding on resources than the one
    from 10.1?

(would be good to know if ok to place it on the same server
    or another one)

Pls. let me know how you think.

Regards,

• 2.  RE: migration from 10.1 to SEP now or later?

Posted Oct 04, 2009 06:46 AM
    Just set up a test environment with machines having different OSs and critical apps in your environment, and test it for a while, then go ahead.

There aren't major bugs which had happened after an upgrade, due to the migration itself :) g luck

• 3.  RE: migration from 10.1 to SEP now or later?

Posted Oct 04, 2009 01:04 PM
    I will say you are already late.

sepm does require more resources to run smoothly.
    I will recomend to place sepm on another server.

I upgraded  sav to sep when mr4 was released and thought i was a bit late to do so.

do you still fell sav is doing good job on your network ?

Use SEP with NTP installed on clients otherwise sav and sep both will function same( as per my experience). If sep detects then sav can also detect the same threat. but with ntp installed you can use firewall to great effect. also ntp can block  attacks on microsoft products.

• 4.  RE: migration from 10.1 to SEP now or later?

Posted Oct 04, 2009 01:30 PM
    From MR5 SEP has come to a matured state where it can be called a 0-bug release.

• 5.  RE: migration from 10.1 to SEP now or later?

Posted Oct 04, 2009 05:36 PM
    I would agree that the latest releases are stable enough for deployment to environments that demand high-stability.  That said, I have deparments that refuse to move to SEP until support for SAV is retired.

• 6.  RE: migration from 10.1 to SEP now or later?

Posted Oct 04, 2009 10:45 PM
    I suggest  you to use SEP as soon as possible because SEP provides Network Threat Protection as a firewall of many new features.  It's good for a solution of UTM solutions.
    Good luck and post a question when you encounter an issue on migrating to SEP.

KS Choi

• 7.  RE: migration from 10.1 to SEP now or later?

Posted Oct 05, 2009 03:31 AM
    THIS IS THE THE TIME.

It has about 2 years that the Product  has been released. And it has been stable for more then an year or so.
    In last 2 years there has been 5 major release for SEP and 6 Minor releases.
    What ever issue that SEP intially had have all been fixed. It is now more stable, with better performance , takes less resorces also supports the latest OS  realesed by MS ( Windows 7 and 2008 R2).

So you should go with SEP 11 RU5,

Installing and configuring Symantec Endpoint Protection 11.0 for the first time
    http://service1.symantec.com/SUPPORT/ent-security.nsf/docid/2007082915561148

Symantec Endpoint Protection 11.0 Frequently Asked Questions
    http://service1.symantec.com/SUPPORT/ent-security.nsf/docid/2007071909500548

REVIEW 
    http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,2817,2234123,00.asp#