Endpoint Protection

View Only
  • 1.  More Trojan.FakeAV issues (IS2010 infection and removal)

Posted Feb 08, 2010 06:06 PM
    In the past week I have had 2 more infections of Trojan.FakeAV (IS2010) and have developed my own disinfection/cleanup process that I thought I would share.  Its not necessarily the most quick or efficient cleanup, however it does seem so far to be fairly effective.

STAGE 1 (disinfection)
    -- have copies of MalwareBytes and Hitman Pro downloaded to USB stick and burned on CDROM
    -- reboot infected PC, install and run both MalwareBytes and Hitman Pro and remove all infected files

I have found that after doing this, the PCs were still having some problems.  In one case there was a rootkit detected in ATAPI.SYS (how? dunno!) that couldn't be removed using the above software, nor could it be fixed by anything else.  I didn't trust that they were clean ... so I moved on to:

STAGE 2 (reinstall Windows XP)
    -- locate correct install disk (e.g. XP+SP2 or XP+SP3) which matches the O/S installed already
    -- boot off the CD, reinstall XP, choosing the option to repair the existing installation
    -- go through all the Windows activation nonsense, etc
    -- yada, yada, ydda, rebooting, etc

After reinstallation, I find that the infected stuff is all gone (no more rootkit alarms), however the PC has been set back to either IE6 or IE7 level and now Internet Explorer will not work properly.  So:

STAGE 3 (collect patches via Automatic Updates)
    -- get your XP automatic updates running and use it reinstall all available patches
    -- especially get IE8 upgrade installed, so you can use Windows Update again
    -- yada, yada, more reboots, etc

After all that, the PC seems to be clean, at least according to all the legit anti-virus/spyware tools that I can find.  The whole process takes me about 4 hours (based on sample of 3 PCs infected thus far, but I will probably get faster at it if they keep happening).

Hope this helps someone.

• 2.  RE: More Trojan.FakeAV issues (IS2010 infection and removal)

Posted Feb 08, 2010 06:22 PM
    ·         Does Symantec Endpoint Protection protect me from fake anti-virus programs?
    http://service1.symantec.com/SUPPORT/ent-security.nsf/docid/2010020116202748

• 3.  RE: More Trojan.FakeAV issues (IS2010 infection and removal)

Posted Feb 13, 2010 04:56 PM
    After over a dozen infections of IS2010 and a few similar and sometimes nastier programs over the last 6 months on some of our computers, I now have 2 approaches. Both use UBCD4WIN, a disk which I made a couple of years ago and I don't remember the details but I think it generates an ISO file that uses the Bart PE (Pre-Environment) that you burn to a CD and it has a bunch of utility programs on it and supports the use of USB drives.

1. Full reinstall; sometimes I can copy the user's files from within Windows, lately I have had to boot from a UBCD4WIN CD to copy the user files before doing the full reinstall

2. Use a UBCD4WIN, Bart PE bootable CD with utilities that allow access to files and the registry to delete some things and change others, then reboot into Windows and install and run the latest MalwareBytes program from a USB drive to try to find anything you missed. Note that deleting the files and registry entries may not be enough; if you get caught in a Login/Logoff loop you may have to modify the registry:
    HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Winlogon
    Userinit string value should be:
    C:\WINDOWS\system32\userinit.exe,

(I am hoping a. SAV starts detecting and preventing this REAL soon and b. I might get recovery time down to less than an hour instead of the current 4 hours c. Our users get smarter)

I got this information from this forum; it doesn't mention smss32.exe but that showed up at the same time as the is2010.exe and is in many of the same registry areas and folders, sorting by DATE helps spot it and its accompanying files in the WINDOWS and SYSTEM32 folders:
    -  -  -  -  -
    INTERNET SECURITY 2010 fake AntiVirus
    Submit and delete these files:
     NOTE: deleting these caused the Can't Login problem, see fix below

c:\WINDOWS\system32\41.exe
    c:\WINDOWS\system32\winhelper86.dll
    c:\WINDOWS\system32\winlogon86.exe
    c:\WINDOWS\system32\winupdate86.exe
    c:\Program Files\InternetSecurity2010
    c:\Program Files\InternetSecurity2010\IS2010.exe
    %UserProfile%\Application Data\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Quick Launch\Internet Security 2010.lnk
    %UserProfile%\Desktop\Internet Security 2010.lnk
    %UserProfile%\Start Menu\Internet Security 2010.lnk 

Remove These Internet Security 2010 Registry Values:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run “winupdate86.exe” 
    HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\IS2010
    HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run “Internet Security 2010?

I forget where I found this:
    CAN'T LOGIN TO WINDOWS
    This is happening because spyware eddited the register of your computer. I had the same problem.

Everytime i logged into windows xp it logged me out right away.
    I got rid of the problem by :

Booting the pc with your start disks created with windows xp *1 or Booting the pc using your windows xp cd-rom *2

*1 - at the command prompt goto c:\windows\system32\
    copy userinit.exe wsaupdater.exe

now reboot your pc , you should be able to log into windows

goto start , run then type regedit

find the following registerkey :

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Winlogon

Userinit string value should be:

C:\WINDOWS\system32\userinit.exe,

On the damaged installations it's one of these:

C:\WINDOWS\system32\wsaupdater.exe,
    C:\WINDOWS\system32\userinit.exe,C:\WINDOWS\system32\wsaupdater.exe,

In this case edit the string to :

c:\windows\system32\userinit.exe,

Everything should work fine now !
    Do install some good anti spyware software and do a virus check as mine was infected with a trojan as well.

*2 Boot the pc from the windows setup disk , at the setup screen press R for recovery

at the recovery console type cd system32
    type copy userinit.exe wsaupdater.exe
    type exit

then follow the instructions under *1 with the regedit.

• 4.  RE: More Trojan.FakeAV issues (IS2010 infection and removal)

Posted Feb 14, 2010 03:12 PM
    ATAPI.SYS is an indication of TDL3/TDSS rootkit and Hitman Pro should be able to detect and remove ALL current versions. Get the latest build, (89 at the time or writing it) and use it in "Force Breach" mode with EWS scan, it should clean your system just fine. 
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m6eRWTv2STk

• 5.  RE: More Trojan.FakeAV issues (IS2010 infection and removal)

Posted Feb 14, 2010 04:04 PM
     I found references to Hitman Pro while doing more research, ran it on the latest infected computer and it found things that the MBAM missed, including fixing a WINSOCK problem that was stopping the computer from going on the internet. It also ran into the BSOD 6 out of 8 scans at about the same point according to the files-scanned counter. It does not require an install which is a huge plus but apparently it requires an internet connection to use "cloud" processing which is a huge minus for me since disconnecting the network cable is the first thing I do when the infection is brought to my attention. I am a one-man IT department at a non-profit and I don't have the expertise to isolate infected computers in a more elegant manner.

• 6.  RE: More Trojan.FakeAV issues (IS2010 infection and removal)

Posted Feb 14, 2010 07:10 PM
    I usually immediately put infected machine on an external wireless network and do all my work there for this very reason. I think Hitman guys are working on a core-engine that is available even when Internet connection is unavailable, but the multi-engined cloud detection part is obviously the major power behind the product. 

P.S. If you're positive that machine is infected, I suggest you run Hitman in Forced Breach mode with EWS scan. That should be able to take care of those BSOD errors you've been seeing.