Ghost Solution Suite

View Only
  • 1.  Need Some Help With Ghost Solution Suite 2.5 and Dell E6420

Posted Jun 01, 2016 12:31 PM

Hey all. I was hoping to get a bit of help with using Symantec Ghost on some Dell E6420 laptops.

First off, I am sure most of the first advice people will offer will be to search the forums. I have been doing that for the last three days. Everything I have found has not worked for me.

The laptops I am trying to send the Windows 7 ghost image to are Dell E6420 with the Intel 82579LM NIC. I have narrowed down the driver I need by matching the Vendor IDs, Device IDs, and Subsystem IDs from a couple E6420s with Windows installed on them. Windows 7 uses e1c6232, so I chose e1c6032 since I need the driver to work with Vista 32-bit. When I check the .inf file all the IDs are there.

I have tried adding the driver through Ghost Boot Wizard and also by this method: http://www.symantec.com/connect/forums/manually-add-usb-nic-driver Both methods do not work.

The E6420 laptops do connect to the network, and ipconfig shows no network interfaces. We have been using ThinkPad T400 laptops fine. I can ping a T400, but cannot ping the E6420.

Could anyone offer some advice on where to go from here? If I can't get this working I will have to go back to the way we have been ghosting before: transfering the image to a hard drive in a T400, then swapping the hard drive into the 6420. It adds time, and isn't economical when we have to ghost 50 or 60 laptops.

Thanks.

• 2.  RE: Need Some Help With Ghost Solution Suite 2.5 and Dell E6420

Posted Jun 02, 2016 05:26 AM

Search the forum on 82579 as there have been some past posting which identified sources of Vista compatible drivers for this chipset, which has proved to be one of the most troublesome to find drivers for.  Alternatively, consider the option of updating your WinPE version from 2.x to 3.x by following this article:

https://www.symantec.com/connect/articles/creating-and-using-winpe31-image-gss-251

Then you can use Win 7 drivers.  Remember that WinPE drivers need to be appropriate to the version of WinPE being used, and NOT the version of operating system being deployed.

I would however, point out that the most common issue with your chipset is not having a working driver set.+