Endpoint Encryption

View Only
  • 1.  pgp 8.1 to 10.3

Posted Jan 21, 2014 09:16 AM

Hello, I'm having some issues going from windows xp with pgp encrypt version 8.1 to windows 7 pgp version 10.3.1

On our XP machine we right click the file we want to encrypt, then select encrypt. We always get an error saying default key can not be found, but we just okay this message. We then get to the PGPshell screen and drag down a couple recipeints and let the file encrypt. That is all we do with this software!

I downloaded the 10.3 trial, and wow, nothing like 8.1 First off, during the install, it didn't ask me for previous keys. So after installing the trial version i went to PGP keys section and did an import of our .skr and .pkr files (of course all the receipients didnt populate so I had to go back and add each one that was missing one at a time)

Okay, so from what I've read online so far, this is what I need to do with public and secure key rings. Is this correct?

Next, I just want to encrypt a file, I'm guessing I missed a step because 1.) i dont have the option to Right click file > PGP > Encrypt 2.) within the console itself I don't see an option to just encrypt a file, I have to set up a folder, but I get stuck in the "signer" section because I can only select one signer when I need 2 or more to awlays be able to view these files.

I didn't initially set up this software, it kind of just fell into my lap and I was told to make it work with windows 7. Usually I can just browse the web and bring myself to some resolution, but this software is killing me! Can anyone help me out, point me to some articles or a how-to, maybe even a pgp 10.3 for dummies?! Any help would be appreciated.

Thank you!!!

Regards,

Sam

• 2.  RE: pgp 8.1 to 10.3

Posted Jan 21, 2014 09:53 AM

That is indeed a massive jump, that's akin to Windows 95 straight to Windows 7!

The user guide is here: http://www.symantec.com/business/support/resources/sites/BUSINESS/content/live/DOCUMENTATION/6000/DOC6205/en_US/symcEncrDesktop_103_win_usersguide_en.pdf

That might be the best place to look at first.  Assuming you installed it right also.

There IS a right click context menu, so you might need to look if you installed it correctly.  Try reinstalling.  Every  time I right click on a file I get the "Symantec Encryption Desktop" context menu with a bunch of sub menu options.  The context menu will only appear on actual files, not shortcuts to these files.