File Share Encryption

View Only
  • 1.  PGP Full Disk -SymantecEncrDesktop10.3. - disable messaging popup

Posted Sep 12, 2016 03:31 PM

Hello

I normally encrypt the full laptops hdd and set user and passwords and thats it for my use of this suite.

I have however accidentally enabled pgp messaging option.

I have removed the config via GUI, and turned of the suites services.

User logs on, then the popup asking to allow or deny encrypted emails pops ups. When i try to open the management portal on the users logon profile, it states services are off, but then how dows the popup occur......argh

Any registry cleanup i may need to do. Dont want to reformat and re-encrypt for something so trivial :(

Thanks

• 2.  RE: PGP Full Disk -SymantecEncrDesktop10.3. - disable messaging popup

Posted Sep 13, 2016 04:47 AM

This article provides MSI switches for changing the installed components:

http://www.symantec.com/docs/HOWTO84112

Though if these were centrally managed via the SEMS, you could also have disabled the function by policy instead.  Just incase you choose to enable management via the SEMS in the future, you might find the below article useful:

http://www.symantec.com/docs/TECH149792

• 3.  RE: PGP Full Disk -SymantecEncrDesktop10.3. - disable messaging popup

Posted Sep 14, 2016 10:10 AM

hmmm, Thanks for the reply.

Yes, the machine is not managed. I saw the switches, but that is only to install and would be good moving forward, but will not fix this issues as the whole suite is already installed.

Any chance to do a repair on the install to remove components?

I mainly use this just for WDE, so if i could uninstall Desktop portion without effecting the disk encryption, that would be awesome

• 4.  RE: PGP Full Disk -SymantecEncrDesktop10.3. - disable messaging popup

Posted Sep 14, 2016 10:15 AM

The article suggests to me it should be possible to remove components as well as add them.  Taklng the example at the end of the article, but switching in a zero, perhaps try the below on a test machine (that has both WDE and MAPI components installed):

msiexec /i pgpdesktop.msi PGP_INSTALL_MAPI=0

• 5.  RE: PGP Full Disk -SymantecEncrDesktop10.3. - disable messaging popup

Posted Sep 14, 2016 11:54 AM

ah, but im sure i used the .exe installer GUI vs the CLI msi installer to begin with.

This may also cause issues. Ill try gui repair to remove components and if not available test my luck with msi

Thanks for the assistance

• 6.  RE: PGP Full Disk -SymantecEncrDesktop10.3. - disable messaging popup

Posted Sep 14, 2016 12:00 PM

It won't matter eitehr way.  Both use msiexec, so using the command above on a machine that was originally installed via the GUI will work fine (as long as it's the same MSI file).