Endpoint Encryption

View Only
Expand all | Collapse all

PGP Virtual Disk Decryption - Mac Lion 10.7

• 1.  PGP Virtual Disk Decryption - Mac Lion 10.7

Posted May 29, 2012 12:50 PM

Hi there --

I have a virtual disk on a Mac 10.7 (Lion) computer. Last week, when I mounted the disk, the icon failed to appear on my desktop. When I open PGP desktop, it shows my disk and allows me to unmount & mount (I get the password prompt, which it takes) but I can't find the icon anywhere or acces any files by typing in what I think used to be the file path (volumes/diskname/folder)

I tried changing the mounting location and reencrypting -- nothing. So now I'd like to try just decrypting the entire disk, but I can't figure out how. All of the articles I find are about decrypting when you use whole disk encryption, not just a virtual disk. I tried the File > Decrypt menu option, but it won't let me select my disk and I suspect that is more for the email functionality.....

Does anyone have any ideas on how I can get to my data? Nothing seems corrputed, the disk file size looks ok and PGP recognizes it......

Thanks

• 2.  RE: PGP Virtual Disk Decryption - Mac Lion 10.7

Posted May 29, 2012 01:18 PM

Virtual Disks are not something that you decrypt.  If you want the data contained in a virtual disk to be available outside the Virtual Disk, you mount it, and then copy or move the data from the Virtual Disk to where you want it.  When the Virtual Disk is empty, you can unmount it and then delete it. 

• 3.  RE: PGP Virtual Disk Decryption - Mac Lion 10.7

Posted May 29, 2012 01:28 PM

So basically my data is non-recoverable since I cannot access the disk when mounted?

• 4.  RE: PGP Virtual Disk Decryption - Mac Lion 10.7
    Best Answer

Broadcom Employee
    Posted May 29, 2012 02:09 PM

This is a known issue with the latest security update for Mac OSX 10.7.4 and PGP Virtual Disk. I'm enclosing a link to a Knowledge Base article that has a work around solution to help you retrieve the data. This leaves files unencrypted but you are able to access them. Symantec engineering is working on trying find a fix for this issue. You can also remove the latest update on the system if you are using file vault and role the system back to before this security update. Hope this helps

http://www.symantec.com/docs/TECH188695

• 5.  RE: PGP Virtual Disk Decryption - Mac Lion 10.7

Posted May 29, 2012 02:11 PM

If you cannot mount the virtual disk, there is no way to access its data. You may want to try moving the virtual disk container file to another location, or even to another computer with PGP installed, and then mounting it to see if this gives you access to your data.  If you have the option of mounting to a server instead of your local disk, you may want to try this.

• 6.  RE: PGP Virtual Disk Decryption - Mac Lion 10.7

Posted May 29, 2012 02:47 PM

That is clearly my problem! 

Thanks so much,

Kim

• 7.  RE: PGP Virtual Disk Decryption - Mac Lion 10.7

Posted May 30, 2012 09:17 AM

I am having the same problem - also on 10.7.4 Lion - PGP desktop says that the virtual disks are mounted, but they are not (and cannot be unmounted).  Quitting PGP does not change the status of the virtual disks - they still show as mounted (but they are not) and will not unmount.

• 8.  RE: PGP Virtual Disk Decryption - Mac Lion 10.7

Posted May 30, 2012 09:04 PM

The link provided has the answer in it: http://www.symantec.com/docs/TECH188695

• 9.  RE: PGP Virtual Disk Decryption - Mac Lion 10.7

Posted Jun 01, 2012 03:07 PM

Brian,

Can you provide an update on the status of the Virtual Disk problem with PGP Desktop 10.2.1 and MacOS X 10.7.4?

Rolling back the MacOS to 10.7.2, or leaving critical files exposed, are not good solutions at all.

Is a fix on the way?

Thank you!

Tony Affigne

• 10.  RE: PGP Virtual Disk Decryption - Mac Lion 10.7

Posted Jun 11, 2012 11:04 AM

HI Brian --

Do you know when the patch is going to be available?

• 11.  RE: PGP Virtual Disk Decryption - Mac Lion 10.7

Broadcom Employee
    Posted Jun 11, 2012 12:29 PM

Our Engineering team is still working on resolving this issue. I will post when we have a known fix for this issue.

• 12.  RE: PGP Virtual Disk Decryption - Mac Lion 10.7

Posted Jun 11, 2012 12:34 PM

@Brian_Ch, thanks for keeping us updated on this issue.