Ghost Solution Suite

View Only
  • 1.  Poweredge R310 Deploy Anywhere

Posted Jul 27, 2010 01:12 PM

we got these new servers and they seem nice but i am having a heck of a time getting them to accept my image.  I was able to boot the machine to ghost and image the machine normally, that was the easy part.  i downloaded the new storage controller drivers from dell and integrated them into Win-PE, ghost detects the hard drive and i can image to it using PE so i would assume that i got the correct driver.  When using Deploy Anywhere i started with the /eval command and it just sits there running the evaluation until i stop it, no errors or crashing.  Removing the /eval command results in the same indefinate wait.  I assume something is broken but there isn't any useful diagnostic information, is there a log for DA? has anyone else imaged one of these yet?

Dell Poweredge R310
    Perc S300 storage controller Ven_1028&DEV_0016
    Server 2008r2

• 2.  RE: Poweredge R310 Deploy Anywhere

Posted Jul 27, 2010 01:37 PM

i removed the /eval switch and let it run, eventually it gave me an error that just says "exception caught" with no other helpful information

• 3.  RE: Poweredge R310 Deploy Anywhere
    Best Answer

Posted Jul 27, 2010 05:22 PM
    Hi Kurby,

Please check if Windows has been installed on C:\. Also find the below attached document that might be of interest to the issue that is being faced during the use of DeployAnywhere.

http://service1.symantec.com/support/on-technology.nsf/854fa02b4f5013678825731a007d06af/1ee24002b720e81d87257539006f3026?OpenDocument

Hope this helps !

• 4.  RE: Poweredge R310 Deploy Anywhere

Posted Jul 27, 2010 05:32 PM

I verified all paths before i executed the DA command.  my windows directory is actually on F: and drivers located in G so i compensated for that in the command.

your article to the problematic driver sounds plausable since i already doubt the worth of these dell drivers.  Ill look thru the driver files for any hard coded drive letters.  i wonder if it would just be easier to assign the windows partition to the letter C though.

• 5.  RE: Poweredge R310 Deploy Anywhere

Posted Jul 27, 2010 05:58 PM

Venkatanathan, you nailed that one.  For those playing the home edition of the game: Your article basically said DA failed because of a static drive designation in the driver file, specifically the intel e1q6032.inf.  The actual fix is to hand edit that file to remove the drive designation but since i already had the machine booted to PE i used diskpart to change the drive letters around, forcing my OS to reside on C:.  After the drive letter swap DA worked normally.

• 6.  RE: Poweredge R310 Deploy Anywhere

Posted Jul 27, 2010 06:20 PM
    Hey Kurby,

Nice to hear that my post helped you get over your issue. You are welcome !