Endpoint Protection

View Only
  • 1.  Problem with Apple Customer - SEP 12.1 -

Posted Oct 12, 2011 11:47 AM

In our network we have computed with Mac OS Leopard and Tiger.
    I know that Apple customers do not receive updates from the SEPM 12.1 and it is necessary to use the LiveUpdate Administrator.

I am using LiveUpdate Administrator, I have done all possible configurations but customers can not get any update LiveUpdate Administrator.

LiveUpdate Administrator can perform all updates, but the only Ditribution Center located in the connection is "clu-prod" and "test-prod" the desfault. Port 7070.

If I try to create the ISS with a door 80, 8080, or 7070, nothing works, time to test theDitribution Center, reports: Connection failed.

The scheduling of Distribution Center, reports 100%, but the Last Connection reports:NEVER CONNECTION.

Someone help me.

• 2.  RE: Problem with Apple Customer - SEP 12.1 -

Broadcom Employee
    Posted Oct 12, 2011 01:37 PM

Hope you have followed the installation of LUA as per this link

http://www.symantec.com/business/support/index?page=content&id=TECH102701

Enable the product definition to download.

Do you see the files ( definition) in the clu-prod folders?

• 3.  RE: Problem with Apple Customer - SEP 12.1 -

Posted Oct 12, 2011 07:22 PM

I've followed all the steps manually.

I have enabled the downloads of the products

Yes, it has files in the Clu-prod.

• 4.  RE: Problem with Apple Customer - SEP 12.1 -

Posted Dec 06, 2011 06:13 AM

Here is a new resource that may help followers of this thread:

Troubleshooting "Connection Failed" Messages when Configuring LiveUpdate Administrator 2.x Distribution Centers
    Article: TECH176188 | Created: 2011-12-05 | Updated: 2011-12-06 |
    Article URL http://www.symantec.com/docs/TECH176188

That is specific to situations where all attemtps to connect to the remote DC fail.

• 5.  RE: Problem with Apple Customer - SEP 12.1 -

Posted Dec 06, 2011 06:08 PM

Hello DiegoCS,

How many Mac computers do you intend to update using LUA?

If you intend to update fewer than around 1,000 Mac clients, then it is actually more efficient (from a network utilization perspective) to send the clients to LiveUpdate directly rather than install a LUA server and have it download definitions.

It's also a lot simpler to do it this way since it's one less server to manage.

Regards,

James

• 6.  RE: Problem with Apple Customer - SEP 12.1 -

Posted Dec 07, 2011 04:53 AM

I'd actually recommend using an LUA 2.x server (preferably the new LUA 2.3.1, just released!) any time there are more than a handful of Mac clients on the network. 

The decision is ultimately up to the network admin, or course.  This article may help:

When is it Recommended to Use LiveUpdate Administrator 2.x with Symantec Endpoint Protection?
    Article: TECH154896 | Created: 2011-03-07 | Updated: 2011-11-11 |
    Article URL http://www.symantec.com/docs/TECH154896  

• 7.  RE: Problem with Apple Customer - SEP 12.1 -

Posted Dec 07, 2011 12:14 PM

Hi Mick,

I don't mean to be disagreeable, but may I ask why you'd recommend using LUA if only a small number of Mac clients are being updated?

My understanding is that you won't start saving bandwidth until you have at least several hundred (and quite probably more like 1,000) Mac clients going to the LUA server for updates.

LUA has to download a huge amount of data (generally several hundred megabytes to several gigabytes) since it is mirroring all content it finds for Macs from our LU servers. An individual client, in this instance a Mac client, only needs to download the latest update file (generally only a couple megabytes) in order to begin using the latest definition set.

Regards,

James

• 8.  RE: Problem with Apple Customer - SEP 12.1 -

Posted Dec 08, 2011 05:11 AM

No trouble at all, James!

The initial download that LUA 2.x must perform for any product is always quite large - several GB.  After that, its daily downloads are only the same size that one client/endpoint would make.  If that one LUA download prevents even 10 SEP for Mac clients from making duplicate downloads, 30 days per month, it saves a great deal of bandwidth.    

Once per month, when new "hub" definitions are released, there will be a large download by LUA (again, measured in GB).  That is the same with all SEP and SAV products, though, not just SEP for Mac.

Admins will have to weigh the options for "One rare very large download from the internet and then small daily downloads" (LUA) versus "Many duplicate downloads from the Internet" (all SEP for Mac clients going straight to the Internet).  Which option is better for the bandwidth really depends on the number of Macs.

That's my logic, anyway!  &: )