Ghost Solution Suite

View Only
  • 1.  Problem with GHWALK32 and Dell Optiplex 780

Posted Jul 28, 2010 12:36 PM
    Searched around a bit, but couldn't fine a similar post...

I've created a Windows 7 Enterprise image on a new Dell Optiplex 780.  Booted with a Ghost Boot Wizard created bootable USB.  Ran Ghost32 and created the image successfully.  By the way, I also changed the SATA operation to "Legacy" in the BIOS prior to creating the image.  Image creation worked fine.  Image restore works fine.  After restoring the image I typically run Ghwalk32.exe to change the SID and sometimes the computer name.  This procedure works fine on most of my workstations (various models of Dell desktops and laptops). 

However, on this model I'm getting an error when running ghwalk32 --> no bootable 9x or NT volume found.  Any ideas what might be going on?  The computer will boot up just fine and I can change the computer name after booting.  The only thing I'm missing is the SID change.

Btw, I'm running Ghost SS version 2.5.2269.

Thanks in advance.

• 2.  RE: Problem with GHWALK32 and Dell Optiplex 780

Posted Jul 28, 2010 03:03 PM

Are you running Ghwalk32.exe from the WinPE command prompt? If the bios is still set to legacy ATA, the sector mapping may not present the volume as a viable NT partition which would account for the error you are seeing.
    You should ensure that your WinPE boot system has any required drivers added to allow the WinPE command prompt to "see" the SATA hard disk volumes with the bios set to AHCI mode and not legacy mode, then create your image, restore it, and try running GHWalk32.exe

Alternatively, you may need to move to a build where you run sysprep before imaging and then use mini setup to sort out the SID and Computername issues.

• 3.  RE: Problem with GHWALK32 and Dell Optiplex 780

Posted Jul 28, 2010 04:41 PM

Actually, it turned out to be a missing Win7 recovery partition.  When the workstation was first set up, the recovery partition was not created.  We've recreated the workstation, took a new image and have successfully restored it, including running ghwalk32.

Thanks.