Endpoint Protection

View Only
Expand all | Collapse all

Problems after installing SEP 11.0.4 on Windows 7 RTM

• 1.  Problems after installing SEP 11.0.4 on Windows 7 RTM

Posted Aug 09, 2009 12:02 PM
      |   view attached
    Hello,

After successfully installed SEP 11.0.4 on Windows 7 RTM there are "PC Issues" on the Windows 7 tray flag.

One is "Turn on Windows Defender" that I guess SEP is shutting down Windows Defender, why this message must appear?

Two, when computer starts I am getting the message as appear at the attached image.

Three, does my computer is protected also One and Two problems?

Thanks for any help,
    Asaf  

• 2.  RE: Problems after installing SEP 11.0.4 on Windows 7 RTM

Posted Aug 10, 2009 01:58 PM
    Installed Win 7 X64 RTM version and Symantec SEP 11.0.4202.75

During normal window processing, the following popup appears:

----------------------------------------

Title:  Program Compatibility Assistant

This driver is blocked due to compatibility issues

Check online to see if solutions are available from the Microsoft website.  If solutions are found, windows will automatically display a website that lists steps you can take.

Driver:  Confidence Online Utility Driver
    Publisher: Symantec

A driver is installed that causes stability problems with your system.  This driver will be disabled.  Please contact the driver manufactured for an update that is compatible with this version of Windows.

----------------------------------------------------

Fixes or Updates anyone?

DDanster

• 3.  RE: Problems after installing SEP 11.0.4 on Windows 7 RTM

Posted Aug 10, 2009 05:16 PM
    I just did a clean install of Windows 7 Professional RTM and was able to install SEPP 11.0.4202_MR4_MP2 but only the AntiVirus/Anti Spyware and Proactive Threat Protection is working.  The Network Protection is not available I think because the Symantec Management Client Service refuses to stay running.  We get a popup message from the Program Compatibility Assistant that looks like this:

imagebrowser image

Right now I am not very happy with Symantec.  We may not be using them much longer at this rate.

• 4.  RE: Problems after installing SEP 11.0.4 on Windows 7 RTM

Posted Aug 11, 2009 09:52 AM
    I have the same problem with the "This driver is blocked due to compatibility issues" -> Confidence Online Utility Driver.

In addtion in my Windows 7 Action Center, I have the following message regarding virus protection (also see the image below):

"Symantec Endpoint protection is on but is reporting its status to Windows Security Center in a format that is no longer supported.  Use the program's automatic updating feature, or contact the program manufacturer for an updated version. "

I am using Windows 7 Enterprise x64 RTM with Symantec SEP 11.0.4202.75 to test the environment before release and well, I am contacting the program manufacturer for an updated version.  I am a bit surprised that Symantec's corporate antivirus program is not functioning with Windows 7 Enterprise in the RTM (release to manufacturing) release!!  If they don't have some code ready to roll out shortly, I am guessing their ears will be bleeding soon.  Get on it Symantec!

imagebrowser image

• 5.  RE: Problems after installing SEP 11.0.4 on Windows 7 RTM

Posted Aug 11, 2009 06:33 PM
    After speaking with Symantec Enterprise Tier-2 Support  they stated that Symantec will not be releasing a Windows 7 compatible version (12.0) until 30-days after the public release of Windows 7 - which is supposedly Oct. 22, 2009 which means Symantec won't have anything until 30-days later. I have been using Symantec's products for 10-years+ and this is typical for them. I too am very frustrated with their lazyness to stay updated with their products but when comparing I find it hard to beat when it actually works and when they actually release them. If anyone can recommend a viable alternative please let me know - meaning supports Exchange 2007 / 2010(future) & has a management console to push updates/installs etc... and supports MAC OS10 and All Windows platforms: 2000/2003/2008/XP/Vista/7

• 6.  RE: Problems after installing SEP 11.0.4 on Windows 7 RTM

Posted Aug 12, 2009 03:31 AM
    How long have the Beta and RC versions been in the wild? Over a year?
    That's how long Symantec has had to pull its finger out.
    The RTM was released to most corporate customers this week, and we still don't have a practical solution from Symantec.

Get a move on guys!  This is quite possibly the first version of Windows that actually functions well pre-SP1 milestone.  Symantec will lose our corporate clients if they don't get this resolved soon.  Other vendors are far more on the ball.

• 7.  RE: Problems after installing SEP 11.0.4 on Windows 7 RTM

Posted Aug 12, 2009 02:20 PM
    Just one small update - Microsoft released Windows 7 RTM on their MSDN website Aug 6... so that means those of us who have a subscription and need some type of anti-virus protection will need to go somewhere else for over 100 days.  I've had the Corporate Anti-Virus in the past, and it seems that Symantecs emphasis on customer support is as poor as always.

• 8.  RE: Problems after installing SEP 11.0.4 on Windows 7 RTM

Posted Aug 12, 2009 03:42 PM
    I guess it will help if all of us who have a support contract re-iterate to Symantec that we want a solution. Next to support I would also encourage everyone to speak to their respective account manager. Maybe it's useless, but that doesn't mean we shouldn't keep the pressure on!

• 9.  RE: Problems after installing SEP 11.0.4 on Windows 7 RTM

Posted Aug 13, 2009 10:04 AM
    Good call.  If every customer with a support contract and especially clients looking to renew say they want full Windows 7 support, then we may see a different priority placed on compatilibilty.

What strikes me as most comical is that the RTM release is a late in cycle release and Windows corporate customers are already getting copies for full delpoyment.  While that is on-going, many corporate IT managers have held off deploying Windows Vista for years due to complaints and because they didn't want backlash from users.  This puts symantec in a situation where they can see full Windows 7 corporate deployment in August, 2009 and potential massive corporate delpoyment much earlier in the life cycle of Windows 7 than for prior OSes.  If true, their policy of not releasing a product that works until 30 days after release is going to lead to an overload on their call centers, upset customers, upset corporate IT managers, bad PR on forums, bad PR among IT Managers. etc etc.  

I can only describe this as short-sighted and self-destructive on their part.

• 10.  RE: Problems after installing SEP 11.0.4 on Windows 7 RTM

Posted Aug 21, 2009 11:58 AM

"I can only describe this as short-sighted and self-destructive on their part."
    +1

• 11.  RE: Problems after installing SEP 11.0.4 on Windows 7 RTM

Posted Sep 02, 2009 10:34 AM
    Please do not see this as me taking up for Symantec but let me offer some rational.

First you really don't HAVE to use Windows 7, it's just that it has RTM'ed and everyone wants to use the new thing.  Use Vista or XP (yes I know eveyone has reservations about those 2 OS's and Win 7 IS pretty cool), if you are that worried about your antivirus.

I noticed everyone aying they upgraded to Win 7, but as I look at the PC manufactures websites of the 3 majors (Dell, HP, Lenovo), Lenovo is the only one offering Windows 7 drivers.  Sure using an older Vista driver will work, but I still notice some problems.  But I don't expect to see Vista drivers widley available until around the public release.

Sure you can talk to your AM and you can threaten to leave, but there is a cost associated with leaving and going with the McAfee or whoever, not to mention the reasons your orginization choose NOT to go with the others in the first place.  Also who says that the other Anti-Virus product makers have their product up to spec for Win 7?  So you leave Symantec and go to product X and find out oh this piece causes this problem or it's more work to setup rules and options, or one of their options is an all or nothing where with Symantec you can selet individualy, etc, etc.

This reminds me of when everyone was saying thye didn't like Vista cause it didn't have drivers for their old hardware, I'm like isn't that your hardware vendor's fault not Microsoft's? 

I honestly do not think Symantec wil wait until the end of November to fix the problem but who knows, only time will tell. I remember when you couldn't install SEP on Win 7 the normal way (Win 7 RC1 release).  But I just wanted to offer and opinion looking at the other side of the coin.  I know our lovely MICROWAVE GENERATION, and they want it NOW!! Just push it out and if does not work 100% just patch it, after we complain about how you released it too early...LOL

• 12.  RE: Problems after installing SEP 11.0.4 on Windows 7 RTM

Posted Sep 02, 2009 11:58 AM
    about a week ago I found windows 7 specific drivers on the dell site for my precision m2400..

We do want it now. One of the great things about being customers is we CAN demand/threaten if a particular company (who we are paying maintenance to) isn't prepared. This is similar to users stomping around demanding seemingly unreasonable things. However, the users aren't unreasonable really. They are paying me money to provide them a service and I will lose them if I do not offer a solution.

One of Symantec's base products depends on another company's base product (MS - Windows 7) to make money. Windows 7 has already been released to the very group of people who are most likely decision makers (or partly) on renewing that maintenance. I would think Symantec would want to be ahead of things a bit but what do I know. Symantec is also behind on BEWS officially supporting Exchange 2007 SP2 too. Of course this is the wrong thread to discuss that.

But just like the above poster said, we can choose to move to another company who does support Windows 7 or whatever new thing that the other doesn't. hmm, what to do..

• 13.  RE: Problems after installing SEP 11.0.4 on Windows 7 RTM

Posted Sep 05, 2009 05:11 PM
    I have a company license for 350 users and running into the same problem with Windows 7. We develop programs so we need to keep up to date with the latest things going on in the software world. Symantec is now giving us 100 days of unsecurity because of their update policy.

I hate seeing that they dare to announce full support for Windows 7 on their retail products.

They should definitely remove this link from their site: http://www.symantec.com/norton/theme.jsp?themeid=windows7

As a coprorate customer I'm upset with this!

• 14.  RE: Problems after installing SEP 11.0.4 on Windows 7 RTM

Posted Sep 05, 2009 06:28 PM
    Symantec MR4 and above can be installed on Windows 7, But it is not supported.

Symantec Endpoint Protection 11.0.4 can be installed on Windows 7 Beta, either 32-bit or 64-bit.

To install MR4 on Windows 7
    1. Copy the contents of the Symantec Endpoint Protection folder to your local hard drive or a network share.
    2. Run LUSETUP.EXE to install LiveUpdate.
    3. Restart the computer.
    4. Run SETUP.EXE to install Symantec Endpoint Protection.

Support for Symantec Endpoint Protection 11.0.4 on Microsoft Windows 7 Beta
    http://service1.symantec.com/SUPPORT/ent-security.nsf/docid/2008120412002648

SEP MR5 which will  be released by the End of this month , It  will have full support for windows 7.

• 15.  RE: Problems after installing SEP 11.0.4 on Windows 7 RTM

Posted Sep 17, 2009 04:21 PM
    Hi Prachand,

Thanks for the notice. I am looking forward to MR5 for SEP released for Win 7. Will the steps for deploying MR4 on a Win 7 beta system be required as well? Or is it install as usual for unmanaged clients? Thanks.

Eric

• 16.  RE: Problems after installing SEP 11.0.4 on Windows 7 RTM

Posted Sep 17, 2009 06:02 PM
    I also heard that I should be able to download it within the next week from file connect.

• 17.  RE: Problems after installing SEP 11.0.4 on Windows 7 RTM

Posted Oct 11, 2009 07:23 PM
    I installed the new Endpoint Protection Small Business 12 over 11.0.2 due to the problem with the driver compatibility error in Windows 7 Enterprise x64. I still have the problem. I did call in prior to downloading the new version and they said that this was the fix. HA!

I resell several Symantec products to my clients and here lately I've been forced to rely on some of the features of these products that we bought and sold them for and are now finding the products just don't function the way they should. We're going to have to re-evaluate are support of Symantec products and start reselling something else. I think our clients will be switching to another vendor when we upgrade them. I'm sick of paying for support and getting someone that knows less about the product than I do. Not only that but backing up server product is getting harder to rely on. A cheap 25 dollar virus scanner seems to solve more problems than this one anyway. Seems like every malware program release these days is able to disable the Symantec services.

If I'm exaggerating at all I'm sorry but I'm no longer confident in the programs I've been selling for years.

Maybe uninstalling SEP 12 and reinstalling will fix the driver compatibility issue but come on, why don't these product check to see if something else is already installed. I've ruined computers by accidentally installing Symantec antivirus corporate over Norton Antivirus. Am I the only one that's done this?

• 18.  RE: Problems after installing SEP 11.0.4 on Windows 7 RTM

Posted Oct 11, 2009 11:01 PM
    Try this, Release Update 5 (RU5) is available

The release notes for Release Update 5 can be found here.