Endpoint Protection

View Only
  • 1.  Product updates for unmanaged client - SEP 11.0.5 - how do I?

Posted Mar 10, 2010 12:26 PM

Hello all,

I have a small number of unmanaged clients that were installed directly from the CD1 directory (i.e. not using SEPM).    They are getting content updates directly from the Symantec LiveUpdate server.   

How can I set these unmanaged clients to get product updates directly from the Symantec LiveUpdate server?   Is there a setting in the client's LiveUpdate to enable product update retrieval without having to use SEPM to set a LiveUpdate policy.

It is my understanding that in eariler releases of SEP that even though the product update policy field existed in SEPM, it was ignored because the feature had not been implemented.

So - in SEP 11.0.5 can (1) unmanaged clients retrieve product updates through LiveUpdate and (2) can I configure an unmanaged, stand alone client to get product and content updates directly from the Symantec LiveUpdate server without using SEPM to set the LiveUpdate policy?  Or, is the default for unmanaged clients already set to retrieve product updates?

Otherwise, my assumption is that product updates will be distributed as msp patch files that can be downloaded directly from Symantec.

Thanks.

• 2.  RE: Product updates for unmanaged client - SEP 11.0.5 - how do I?

Posted Mar 10, 2010 01:21 PM
    Unmanaged clients will not get product updates.
    it will just download virus definitions, SEPM has the capability of downloading it,
    Unmanaged clients wont have much options. 

• 3.  RE: Product updates for unmanaged client - SEP 11.0.5 - how do I?
    Best Answer

Posted Mar 10, 2010 01:25 PM
     What are you referring to as Liveupdate server ?

<<they are getting content updates directly from the Symantec LiveUpdate server.   >>

<<How can I set these unmanaged clients to get product updates directly from the Symantec LiveUpdate server?>>

<<directly from the Symantec LiveUpdate server without using SEPM to set the LiveUpdate policy>>

If you are referring to Liveupdate Administrator then yes..you can update virus definition on your Unmanaged Clients using Liveupdate Administrator.

In the LUA you will have to export the settings.liveupdate and you will have to replace it on all the clients.

Read Liveupdate Admin's User guide for details on how to do it.
    ftp://ftp.symantec.com/public/english_us_canada/liveupdate/lua_2.1/

• 4.  RE: Product updates for unmanaged client - SEP 11.0.5 - how do I?

Posted Mar 16, 2010 01:50 PM

I am referring to Symantec's LiveUpdate server.   The unmanaged clients get their virus definition updates directly from Symantec by default without having to go through LiveUpdate Administrator.

So, what I'm trying to do is set the unmanaged clients to get their product updated directly from Symantec (manual LiveUpdate) without going through LUA.  

I think you're telling me I can use LUA to generate the appropriate settings to enable an unmanaged client to download product updates directly from Symantec rather than from LUA.   I seem to remember reading somewhere that the product updates will come from Symantec as MSP files.  If they come through LUA they are delivered as microdefs.

I also think there are some setting in SEPM to manage the product updates.   I'll have to dig a little further.

Thanks for your input.

• 5.  RE: Product updates for unmanaged client - SEP 11.0.5 - how do I?

Posted Mar 16, 2010 04:25 PM

According to the SEPM Admin guide (pp. 120-127), the SEPM can configure a LiveUpdate Settings Policy that will allow an unmanaged client  to pull product updates directly from Symantec under the "Automatic Product Upgrades" advanced settings (p. 126).     I.e., it appears that an unmanaged client can press the LiveUpdate button in the client's UI and get content and product updates.   

I think I'm going to try this instead of LUA.

• 6.  RE: Product updates for unmanaged client - SEP 11.0.5 - how do I?

Posted Mar 16, 2010 04:44 PM

Vikram -

Latest update...

I found this registry tweak posted by you in the forum - on my unmanaged clients, it looks like I can set EnableProductUpdates to 1 without having to use LUA or SEPM.  This appears to be the far simpler route.

http://www.symantec.com/connect/fr/articles/symantec-endpoint-protection-few-registry-tweaks

Thanks,

Wally

• 7.  RE: Product updates for unmanaged client - SEP 11.0.5 - how do I?

Posted Mar 16, 2010 04:55 PM

Hello Rafeeq -

Vikram posted some registry tweaks for the SEPM Client.  It looks like I can set EnableProductUpdates to 1 to allow the unmanaged clients to get product updates directly via LliveUpdate.

I'm assuming that this is the registry setting that the SEPM LiveUpdate Settings Policy "Automatic Product Upgrades" (P. 126 SEPM Admin. guide) sets.

I'm going to try this - if it works it will be a great solution for me. 

Here's the link to the registry tweaks.

http://www.symantec.com/connect/fr/articles/symantec-endpoint-protection-few-registry-tweaks

Thanks for your reply.

Wally

• 8.  RE: Product updates for unmanaged client - SEP 11.0.5 - how do I?

Posted Mar 16, 2010 04:57 PM

Well..yeah thats right..It will download the product update from Internet..

• 9.  RE: Product updates for unmanaged client - SEP 11.0.5 - how do I?

Posted Mar 17, 2010 02:04 AM

Hi Vikram,

so is this a work around if somehow 64 bit client is having problem with push install from the SEP Mgr ?

if yes then it is good to know.