Expand all | Collapse all

remotely uninstall symantec endpoint protection 11.0 MR2 using msiexec

Migration User

Migration UserApr 22, 2009 10:33 AM

Migration User

Migration UserApr 23, 2009 03:38 AM

• 1.  remotely uninstall symantec endpoint protection 11.0 MR2 using msiexec

Posted Apr 22, 2009 10:32 AM
    I need to remotely uninstall symantec endpoint protection 11.0 MR2 from roughly 100 client (XP) machines. The symantec cleanwipe tool doesnt seem to work for me at all, and also doesnt run silently.

I want to use the following msiexec command:
    msiexec /x /norestart {76B2BC31-2D96-4170-9C44-09E13B5555F3} /qn REMOVE=ALL /l*v C:\SEPuninstall.log

The problem is, the clients have an uninstall password set. I know the password. I dont know how to pass that to msiexec, if at all possible.

In previous Symantec products there was a reg key you could edit to disable the uninstall password. I cannot find that key or a related key in SEP that I can edit to remove the password requirement.

Any idea if I can remove the password requirement via reg hack? Ive poured through the cleanwipe utility scripts and dont see anything to point me in the right directoin.

• 2.  RE: remotely uninstall symantec endpoint protection 11.0 MR2 using msiexec

Posted Apr 22, 2009 10:33 AM
    msiexec

• 3.  RE: remotely uninstall symantec endpoint protection 11.0 MR2 using msiexec

Posted Apr 23, 2009 02:06 AM
    Can you pls disable the uninstalltion password from SEPM>Clients>Policies> General Settings tab.

Right click the client group>Run command on a group>Update content>On

Then try to run the script and check.

Check for the belwo URL..

http://service1.symantec.com/SUPPORT/ent-security.nsf/docid/2008090908381148?Open&seg=ent

Rgrds,
    SAM

• 4.  RE: remotely uninstall symantec endpoint protection 11.0 MR2 using msiexec

Posted Apr 23, 2009 02:22 AM
    You can do that or as you had the original idea of changing the registry to 0 via a script

The key to take out the password is:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Symantec\Symantec Endpoint Protection\SMC\smc_exit_test

• 5.  RE: remotely uninstall symantec endpoint protection 11.0 MR2 using msiexec

Posted Apr 23, 2009 02:28 AM
    I am not much familiar with sripting. I have installed SEP in my company. We have approximately 120 pc.

Can anyone provide me instructions and necessary scripts to uninstall the clients from all the pcs?  I'm very much new to the field. Please help.

Thanks!

• 6.  RE: remotely uninstall symantec endpoint protection 11.0 MR2 using msiexec

Posted Apr 23, 2009 02:52 AM
    I am trying to disable the uninstalltion password from SEPM>Clients>Policies> General Settings ta, but once I close the SEP Management Console and reopen, it is showing the old configuration.

• 7.  RE: remotely uninstall symantec endpoint protection 11.0 MR2 using msiexec

Posted Apr 23, 2009 03:03 AM
    Hi,

I cannot find that key from my SEP MR4 install. If I add that, what should the type and value be?

- Jukka

• 8.  RE: remotely uninstall symantec endpoint protection 11.0 MR2 using msiexec

Posted Apr 23, 2009 03:25 AM
    I think Binayak will help u on this matter cuz he is Microsoft Expertise.

• 9.  RE: remotely uninstall symantec endpoint protection 11.0 MR2 using msiexec

Posted Apr 23, 2009 03:30 AM
    Ideally it should be there irrespective of the password set or not.

Are you sure this is not a self managed client?

• 10.  RE: remotely uninstall symantec endpoint protection 11.0 MR2 using msiexec

Posted Apr 23, 2009 03:38 AM
    Hi Sandeep, the same thing is happening with me. I am not getting the key and the client is a managed client.

• 11.  RE: remotely uninstall symantec endpoint protection 11.0 MR2 using msiexec

Posted Apr 23, 2009 03:38 AM
    i am having doubt on it

• 12.  RE: remotely uninstall symantec endpoint protection 11.0 MR2 using msiexec

Posted Apr 23, 2009 03:43 AM
    Doubt on what?

SymInstData is another key that has to be taken out for the uninstall routine to begin but the key has to be there.

• 13.  RE: remotely uninstall symantec endpoint protection 11.0 MR2 using msiexec

Posted Apr 23, 2009 04:29 AM
     Any help please..?? 

"I am not much familiar with sripting. I have installed SEP in my company. We have approximately 120 pc.

Can anyone provide me instructions and necessary scripts to uninstall the clients from all the pcs? I'm very much new to the field. Please help.

Thanks!"

• 14.  RE: remotely uninstall symantec endpoint protection 11.0 MR2 using msiexec

Posted Apr 23, 2009 05:46 AM
    Sandeep,

I'm 110% sure :) Troubleshooting data in client shows that it's connected and everything is working correctly.

- Jukka

• 15.  RE: remotely uninstall symantec endpoint protection 11.0 MR2 using msiexec

Posted Apr 23, 2009 06:30 AM
    Hi,

Can anyone provide me Script to uninstall Trend Micro 8.0.

Because we have to deploy SEP.

• 16.  RE: remotely uninstall symantec endpoint protection 11.0 MR2 using msiexec

Posted Jun 09, 2009 07:55 AM
    HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Symantec\Symantec Endpoint Protection\SMC\smc_exit_test

The key resets itself on reboot, and the uninstall still requests a password if run without reboot after changing the key...
    Is there anything else I am missing?

• 17.  RE: remotely uninstall symantec endpoint protection 11.0 MR2 using msiexec

Posted Jun 09, 2009 08:07 AM
    First u disable the uninstalled password from administrative login in the console manager, there after u use the tools.

• 18.  RE: remotely uninstall symantec endpoint protection 11.0 MR2 using msiexec

Posted Jun 09, 2009 08:13 AM
    Dear kajal

We will be very happy if you could mention the steps to disable the uninstalled password from administrative login in the console manager, there after u use the tools and how it works.