Ghost Solution Suite

View Only
  • 1.  Restoring file image to RAID5 = Error: 29005

Posted Jun 15, 2007 09:33 PM
    I am able to successfully restore a file image from a RAID1 file image to our RAID1 target drive, but when I try to restore a file image from a RAID5 file image to our RAID5 target drive, I get a write sector failure (Error: 29005).  We are using an on-board Intel raid array.  I start writing the image and it begins to write $Logfile.  Then the lights on one of the drives in the array stays on and I get an alarm at the controller level.  When I get down into the intel controller GUI, it thinks there is a foreign configuration present, which cannot be read.

Anybody doing file copies of RAID5 and restoring to same on Intel computers with an Intel raid array?

Thanks.

• 2.  RE: Restoring file image to RAID5 = Error: 29005

Posted Jun 16, 2007 03:17 AM
    Hi Mike,

What pre-OS do you use for cloning? Is that DOS/Ghost or WinPE/Ghost32?

Krish

• 3.  RE: Restoring file image to RAID5 = Error: 29005

Posted Jun 16, 2007 01:18 PM
    Krish,

It is BART PE/Ghost32.

Originally I went the route of DOS/Ghost, but I needed an environment where I could load the Intel raid driver.

Thanks.

• 4.  RE: Restoring file image to RAID5 = Error: 29005

Posted Jun 18, 2007 04:37 AM
    Hi Mike,

Yes, this is a better option.

When using WinPE, we use the driver to access the disk rather than going direct. So the dependency of the RAID driver is much higher under Windows. Ghost would not see the individual disk under a RAID.

I presume that you used the newest driver. Your BartPE disk is created with XP or 2k3? By any chance do you have access to WinPE 2.0 (Vista PE, which is downloadable from MS now) to try?

Krish

• 5.  RE: Restoring file image to RAID5 = Error: 29005

Posted Jun 18, 2007 01:18 PM
    I am using the same driver that was used on the source machine.  The raid controller versions are identical as is the hardware.

I am using SATA, is that a problem?  I would rather not try WindowsPE as I don't understand if that would buy me anything.

Thoughts?

• 6.  RE: Restoring file image to RAID5 = Error: 29005

Posted Jun 19, 2007 03:34 AM
    Hi Mike,

Since Ghost would not access disks individually, type of the disk in the RAID controller is not important. It is how the Controller presents the array to Windows through the driver, as a single disk.

When Ghost32 accesses the drive through OS under WinPE (and Windows) OS plays a bigger role than DOS when cloning. Using WinPE 2.0 would give you a more current version of Windows. Probably it would be same if BartPE was built using Vista, but I haven't heard of it yet.

I think you can build BartPE with 2k3, is that what you use or a version built using XP?

Krish

• 7.  RE: Restoring file image to RAID5 = Error: 29005

Posted Jun 19, 2007 09:00 PM
    Krish,

You can build a 2k3 environment with BartPE, which is what I am using.

Actually I think I found the problem.  I did a low level consistency check on the source raid5 array, and there were so many parity errors that the tool turned off logging.  That was the problem, I was capturing the errors in the Ghost image and transfering them to the target raid5 array.  I created an image from an array with no low-level parity errors and I also rebuilt that original array and am now Ghosting an image onto it.  This is happening as I am typing this, I am waiting for it to finish. 

I think the problem was creating an image from an array with raid level parity errors.

I'll let you know if that was what the problem was.