Patch Management Solution

View Only
  • 1.  SB16-002 Failures - Odd hash at end of patches and packages

Posted Nov 16, 2016 01:19 PM

I'm still testing patches for November...what a mess. My test 2008r2 server failed to install SB16-002 with this error message: Windows update  could not be installed because of error 2147942413 "The data is invalid." (Command line: "wusa.exe windows6.1-kb3197867-x64_6f8f45a5706eeee8ac05aa16fa91c984a9edb929.msu /quiet /norestart")

Note the odd hash at the end of the patch install before .msu. Patches and packages were not named like this last month. I've searched high and low for issues or documentation about this change. I am seeing other failures as well. What is causing this...it looks like corruption of some sort. Anyone seeing this or seen it before?...going to open a case.

• 2.  RE: SB16-002 Failures - Odd hash at end of patches and packages

Posted Nov 17, 2016 12:05 PM

OK...Opened a support case and worked all day yesterday and today so far. The hashes are normal, what is not: the staging mechanism is reporting success even if it does not download the entire package. I compared sizes of updates and found they were incorrect. After lots of effort actually deleting the download directory on the server and re-downloading, I finally got SB16-002 to download the ENTIRE patch and my client successfully installed it. Now I'm working on CR16-002. On my last attempt, I got less than 20MB of a 133.94MB file before the system declared it a success. Wiping out and starting again. I can see this only becoming a bigger problem and the size of the updates increase. Sigh. 

• 3.  RE: SB16-002 Failures - Odd hash at end of patches and packages

Trusted Advisor
    Posted Dec 01, 2016 08:27 AM

@datadrudge - I had seen something similar before and our malware/web filter was getting in the way of certain downloading packages (can't remember, but I think it was adobe in my case)  I'd similarly get partial downloads.  Just an idea, not sure if it applies to you.