Symantec Management Platform (Notification Server)

View Only
  • 1.  Scripting HOWTO45738?

Posted Jun 22, 2017 08:52 PM

I have some old 7.1 clients out there which need to be manually removed.  Came across HOWTO45738, below, and wanted to script the 2 lines but the article is vague in terms of how long to wait before executing the second command.  Any ideas on what I should be waiting for or how long to pause after running the first command?

https://support.symantec.com/en_US/article.HOWTO45738.html

• 2.  RE: Scripting HOWTO45738?

Posted Jun 23, 2017 03:19 AM

This depends on the plugins that have to be uninstalled.

Especially a package server might take some time to uninstall.

I would not wait a fixed time ... i would wait for the aexnsagent.exe to be gone and then wait another minute (just to be sure).

Oh ... i am not using this two commands ... i just call

Aexagentutil.exe /clean

• 3.  RE: Scripting HOWTO45738?

Posted Jun 23, 2017 08:41 AM

The article is from 2011. From my experience, just use a single Aexnsagent.exe /uninstall command .It will uninstall all plugins one by one and the agent at the end. It will restart a few time during uninstall process. Once Altiris Agent folder is empty you are good to go.

• 4.  RE: Scripting HOWTO45738?

Posted Jun 23, 2017 09:13 AM

Hi Clint.

I think you can use the script bellow.

cd/

cd "%ProgramFiles%\Altiris\Altiris Agent"

AexAgentUtil.exe /uninstallagents

timeout /t 60 /nobreak

AexAgentUtil.exe /clean

exit

The "uninstallagents" will remove all the plugins installed  "clean" will remove the agent. As Tomasz said, usually the "uninstall or clean" uninstall the plugins and agent too, but I preffer run both to be sure.

Regards,

• 5.  RE: Scripting HOWTO45738?

Posted Jun 23, 2017 03:04 PM

Hey guys,

I appreciate everyone chiming in!  One of my Symantec contacts told me that the uninstall method varies depending upon the agent version which explains why everyone responded a bit differently.  Apparently it's best to run the 2 commands in that HOWTO I mentioned for 7.1 clients whereas you can just use "AeXNSAgent.exe /uninstall" for 7.5 and later.

Anyhow, the real reason for my post is due to my AppID account frequently getting locked out because of old 7.x clients out there in my SMP 8.0 environment.  Unfortunately the source of these lockouts all point to our BlueCoat proxy server instead of the workstations themselves where both Symantec Support and my security guys couldn't help me (i.e. would be nice if I had proof or a list of these source PCs).

So what I'm doing now is going through the Agent Version report and what the 32/64-bit agent upgrade policies are showing as targets to compile what I think is a complete list of these rogue 7.x clients that are failing to upgrade.  Already tried uninstalling via the SMC which got to a few of them so have to manually remove Altiris from the rest.  Very frustrating when my AppID account can lock within a minute and it all started when I reset my AppID password to the exact same thing late last month...waaah.

• 6.  RE: Scripting HOWTO45738?

Posted Jun 24, 2017 06:14 AM

Have you tried:

start "" /wait AexAgentUtil.exe /uninstallagents

Or try and find out from log files which files get deleted last and

start "" /wait AexAgentUtil.exe /uninstallagents

:wait

IF Exist lastfile.ext ping -n 10 127.0.0.1 & goto wait

Aexnsagent.exe /uninstall

• 7.  RE: Scripting HOWTO45738?

Posted Jun 27, 2017 08:38 PM

I'll give this a shot.  I had used "start /wait" for another purpose years ago and had totally forgotten about it.  Thanks for the reminder!