Endpoint Protection

View Only
  • 1.  SEP 11 MR4 MP1 freezes SBS 2008 server

Posted Mar 22, 2009 08:27 PM

I installed SEP 11 MR4 MP1 on an Small Business Server 2008 server on Thursday evening (3/19) at a client site.  We get a call Friday at about 11:15 am that their network was down.  They had two problems that appear to be unrelated: the UPS supporting one of their switches had failed and the server was completely locked up (couldn't even hit Ctrl+Alt+Del to log on).  I had to hit the power switch to reboot it.  I stopped and disabled all the SEP services except the SEP client service which wouldn't allow me to do so.  I didn't have time on Friday to troubleshoot and fix it...I had planned to remote into the server today (Sunday) to work with Symantec Support to uninstall it and reinstall it right (I know very little about SEP and SEPM).  However, when I tried to remote into it, I couldn't connect and I suspect that it is locked up again.  No one is there on the weekends, so I'll show up bright and early tomorrow to reboot and uninstall SEP.  I will then call Symantec Support to have them walk me through installing it correctly.  I plan to install 11.0.4000 (MR4) instead of MR4 MP1 because of all the stuff I see on this site.

It is very likely that I didn't configure it correctly and that is most of the reason that it locked up the server (the server was running fine for a couple of weeks before installing SEP).  I think part of that is Symantec's fault because I think that SEPM is much more complex than nessessary for smaller clients (this client has about 30 users).

Any advice?  Any idea what is causing the server to lock up (it seems that it is running out of resources)?

• 2.  RE: SEP 11 MR4 MP1 freezes SBS 2008 server

Posted Mar 23, 2009 12:38 AM

HI,

Can you please uninstall-Restart and re-install only AV/AS componenent on the server.

Rgrds,

SAM

• 3.  RE: SEP 11 MR4 MP1 freezes SBS 2008 server

Posted Mar 23, 2009 04:21 PM
    I will be reinstalling it tomorrow with Symantec support on the line.

Drew