Migration UserMay 15, 2009 02:08 PM

Migration User

Migration UserMay 18, 2009 07:06 PM

Migration User

Migration UserMay 20, 2009 04:18 PM

• 1.  SEP 11.0 MR4 MP2

Posted Mar 12, 2009 06:34 AM

Hi,

When is MR4MP2 getting release?? Any due-date??

We are facing some major issues with MR4MP1 as well as MR4MP1a, hence waiting for MP2 to get these issues fixed..

Pls update..

rgrds,

SAM

• 2.  RE: SEP 11.0 MR4 MP2

Posted Mar 12, 2009 08:02 AM

What type of issues are you experiencing ?

We've yet to upgrade to MP1 or MP1a so would like some feedback before I bother :)

cheers

• 3.  RE: SEP 11.0 MR4 MP2

Posted Mar 12, 2009 08:27 AM

Sam, firstly, have you been told your issues will be fixed in MR2 MP2?

Please don't assume that all your problems will be fixed if we don't know about them.  What are you experiencing? 

• 4.  RE: SEP 11.0 MR4 MP2

Posted Mar 12, 2009 08:45 AM

Sam, firstly, have you been told your issues will be fixed in MR2 MP2?

Please don't assume that all your problems will be fixed if we don't know about them.  What are you experiencing? 

Paul Murgatroyd
    Senior Regional Product Manager, Enterprise Security Group, Symantec

Hi Paul,

Ping Request time is more say around 15ms-18ms in LAN which we were not facing when we use MR3 whcih is due to NTP component. Already case been opened [Case 320-170-810].

Rtvscan.exe stop unexpectedly.case [320-168-579].

paul, we need such issues need to be addressed in SEP 11.0 MR4 MP2. And the product need to be tested thoroughly before getting officially released.

Rgrds,

SAM

• 5.  RE: SEP 11.0 MR4 MP2

Posted Mar 12, 2009 09:32 AM

The ping issue is fixed in MR4 MP2, its queued for verification by QA at the moment.

Your other issue did not generate a defect, since the engineer was able to fix the issue and you said you were happy to close the case? 

• 6.  RE: SEP 11.0 MR4 MP2

Posted Mar 12, 2009 09:48 AM

If only our faults were fixed in upgrades =P

SNAC service starting unexpectedly even though it isn't installed or configured in policies ... since MR2 this has been logged and closed each time with the reply that MR* will fix it .... still it hasn't. Similar with other logged faults.

I'm relucatant to upgrade any further due to the problems that each upgrade creates . I've been trying to get this system up and running without any intervention from myself or errors being generated for 12 months now aswell as do the rest of my day to day jobs and it just isn't happening. I've had to pass other projects on to colleagues as a result.

One prays that SEP is out of Beta stage in the near future =P

• 7.  RE: SEP 11.0 MR4 MP2

Posted Mar 12, 2009 10:04 AM

Can we get the fix list for MR4MP2?  Since its in QA that should be nailed down.  I would be helpfull in planning

• 8.  RE: SEP 11.0 MR4 MP2

Posted Mar 13, 2009 12:02 PM

Not at this moment in time, its still currently an internal only excel spreadsheet which is a direct export from our defect tracking system.  It contains all the customer names and is unsuitable for public release at the moment.

It contains all defects that are targetted for the release, not all defects that are fixed so we also don't want to run the risk of confusing people.

As well as certifying the whole build, QA also individually certify each fix once engineering tell them they can.. the whole build is not yet with QA, since we are still adding defects to the fix list. 

• 9.  RE: SEP 11.0 MR4 MP2

Posted Mar 14, 2009 12:51 PM

When we can have MR4 MP2 at last? Because of VERY slow NTP component in MP1(a) we have to uninstall it from our clients and it's really a required feature! :(

• 10.  RE: SEP 11.0 MR4 MP2

Posted Mar 14, 2009 08:04 PM

April

• 11.  RE: SEP 11.0 MR4 MP2

Posted Mar 16, 2009 03:00 AM

April

Paul Murgatroyd
    Senior Regional Product Manager, Enterprise Security Group, Symantec

Paul,

We expect MR4MP2 latest by 1st week of April as we are planning to deploy the same on 18k machines.

Rgrds,

SAM

• 12.  RE: SEP 11.0 MR4 MP2

Posted Mar 26, 2009 10:01 AM
    Please please please please fix this issue - The URL field within the Install Packages option that is MISSING! When I updated my clients to MR3 I used this option by going to Clients > Select my group of users > Install Packages > Add Client Install Package > From here I was able to input a URL from where my clients would be able to download/install the client. This worked beutifully for me. The reason it worked beutifully is because I have endpoints at many remote locations that have minimal bandwidth between them and the SEP Manager. By being able to specify a URL to download from I could give it the URL to a PC which I set up at that remote location as an HTTP server and the clients would download from that (as opposed to traversing our small network pipe between the endpoints and manager (which would clog bandwidth)). Why did you get rid of it???? I've been told on a few different calls I have made for other issues I have had that this will come back in MR4 MP2. I'm holding you all to your word on this. So if it doesn't come back I will be a very disappointed customer.

Besides that, the other problem I have is that on a few PCs in the company the xfer folder fills up with a lot (100's even 1000's) tmp files. It quarantines all these tmp files as well. As you can imagine, this eats up the hard drive. I end up having to manually delete all these files. Unfortunately, they do come back. Lately, I think deleting the xfer_tmp and BadPatts folder helps to clear the problem as well. So this is also a big problem because the log file grows out of control with all these false-positives. Now going back to my problem with the small amount of bandwidth, these log files are huge and they're traversing that small pipe communicating with the SEPM the log files. I have to admit things have gotten better and here are some things I did that may help out some other people who are having this problem and reading this post:
    Navigate remotely into the machine (I use psexec which is a Microsoft tool. Google pstools. Within the tools is psexec. psexec into the PC in question (psexec \\pcname cmd.exe). that will take you into the command prompt on the remote computer. Now navigate to c:\documents and settings\all users\application data\symantec\
    Now within this folder go to Symantec Endpoint Protection > xfer > type in del /q /s *.* (This will delete everything in that directory)
    now go back a directory (cd ..) go into the quarantine folder and type in again del /q /s *.* (Again... this will del everything in that dir).
    Now, change directory back (cd ..) 
    rmdir /Q /S BadPatts
    rmdir /Q /S xfer_tmp

That seems to get rid of that problem

If you upgraded from SAV8, 9, or 10, there might be a Symantec Antivirus Corporate Edition folder as well. Go into that, then go into the 7.5 folder. sometimes the xfer folder in this directory is the problem. My opinion is that you can remove that whole entire directory structure (Symantec Antivirus Corporate Edition) assuming you're on MR3 or later as that directory structure isn't used. It uses the Symantec Endpoint Protection folder instead.

Hope this post emminates my frustration and also serves to help someone with problems similar to mine.

• 13.  RE: SEP 11.0 MR4 MP2

Posted Mar 31, 2009 12:30 PM
    Can someone further explain the ping response time issue to me?  We are running SEP MR4 currently and having intermittant communication issues with our branch offices where there are absurdly high ping times.

When we installed SEP shortly after its release we had a similar issue which required us to revert back to SAV10 at the branch offices.  Since then we have installed servers at each branch office and installed a SEPM on each of these servers.  I figured that would cut down on the communications issues.  To a degree it has, but there are instances when I will ping an IP address at a branch office and the response times are say 900+ms instead of the normal 14ms.

Any ideas?  Is this still a known issue with SEP?

• 14.  RE: SEP 11.0 MR4 MP2

Posted Mar 31, 2009 05:05 PM

it's due to NTP... It will be ok in MR4 MP2 (it will be available in 1st week in april).

To solve your problem in Mr4, send command to deactivate NTP or roolback on MR3.

For information, the response ping time has been detected on MR2 MP2 and MR4.

• 15.  RE: SEP 11.0 MR4 MP2

Posted Apr 16, 2009 08:16 AM
    Hey Paul,

We're half way through April now - any update on availability of MP2?

Ta
    nick

• 16.  RE: SEP 11.0 MR4 MP2

Posted Apr 16, 2009 02:47 PM
    I agree we are half way through April and no sign of MP2

• 17.  RE: SEP 11.0 MR4 MP2

Posted Apr 16, 2009 03:50 PM
    It was said that MP2 would be released the first week and well that has been and gone.

• 18.  RE: SEP 11.0 MR4 MP2

Posted Apr 16, 2009 04:46 PM
    We said "April" originally, I don't believe I've given an exact date or week in fact.

We were planning on releasing in early April, thats true but we have had some issues with a very large customer and we are fixing these in MR4 MP2.  The result of that means that MR4 MP2 is delayed a little, it should now be end of April/early May BUT it will be a huge improvement over the original build.  We are seeing 80% improvements in performance in the areas of log processing and client management internally on the SEPM after the changes we have made recently.

Aside from that, ping issues should be fixed, the download location URL will be back in the SEPM and lots of other fixes (over 100 defects and counting) have been added thanks to the longer timescales.  Some key points to note, SmcGui CPU utlisiation at idle reduced, LiveUpdate processes less CPU intensive and quicker, extra decomposers for more archive formats, fixes to reports and exports, changes to application control to hopefully decrease lag over the network.

• 19.  RE: SEP 11.0 MR4 MP2

Posted Apr 17, 2009 07:29 AM
    Thanks for the update Paul,

Happy to wait a bit longer if all the fixes you mention make it to the release, tested and without the need for a MP2a :)

Nick

• 20.  RE: SEP 11.0 MR4 MP2

Posted Apr 17, 2009 07:59 AM
    Hi PAul,

Please try to fix this issue also if possible in MR4MP2.

https://www-secure.symantec.com/connect/forums/schedule-scan-consumes-more-90-cpu-utilisation

Rgrds,
    SAM

• 21.  RE: SEP 11.0 MR4 MP2

Posted Apr 17, 2009 08:08 AM
     I agree and hope MP2 comes out soon as it is supposed to address large amount of issues

• 22.  RE: SEP 11.0 MR4 MP2

Posted Apr 27, 2009 12:11 AM

I hope MP2 takes as long as it needs, and is the final update for a long time because no more are needed. Comparing SAV 10 to SEM 11, we seem to be constantly upgrading or rolling back to resolve issues. Take your time and make sure the product goes out clean. Here is hoping your very large customer had a lot of the same issues I am having! 

• 23.  RE: SEP 11.0 MR4 MP2

Posted Apr 27, 2009 10:06 AM

While I dont like having to update all the time.  I like the fact that they do release these fixes on a regular schedule more or less.  Means if I am waiting on one of the fixes they have been working on I am likely to get it sooner rather than later.   Reaize that no software is ever 100% perfect or bug free. and not everything can be found in a lab or testing.   I had an issue with systems blue screening that was fixed a while back that was a confilict between Veritas replication agent and SEP neither us no symantec could reproduce the problem outside of a production system.  Took us getting a few memory dumps from the system before we were able to identify the problem with the help of both symantec and microsoft support.  I was very happy when MR4 came out and fixed the problem.

• 24.  RE: SEP 11.0 MR4 MP2

Posted Apr 27, 2009 10:19 AM
     Sooner the better. We are waiting for MP2 for a wide release our endpoints

• 25.  RE: SEP 11.0 MR4 MP2

Posted Apr 27, 2009 01:06 PM
    We seem to be stuck in a never ending cycle of test, deploy, find what was missed in testing, evaluate and impliment remedial action to resolve critical issues, next version is out that fixes issues so we repeate. I don't need a make work project.

I quite miss the rather relaxed releases of the 10.x series.

• 26.  RE: SEP 11.0 MR4 MP2

Posted Apr 27, 2009 02:00 PM
    Im curious with SAM_SHAIKH's post regarding cpu utilization on scheduled scans, we are not facing this, when is this happening?

• 27.  RE: SEP 11.0 MR4 MP2

Posted Apr 28, 2009 11:11 PM
    Paul

When you say 80% improvement what builds are you compairing.  if your saying from initial realease thats one thing but what is the improvement from mr4mp1a which hopefully most of us are running.

• 28.  RE: SEP 11.0 MR4 MP2

Posted May 01, 2009 07:22 AM

Since we just entered May, another update would be great if you could please Paul?

cheers
    Nick

• 29.  RE: SEP 11.0 MR4 MP2

Posted May 02, 2009 06:31 PM
    we are currently tracking to mid May, with RTM planned for the 15th.  We should have RC code shortly.

Rick, in answer to your question, SEPM log handling performance increases are from MR4 MP1 to MR4 MP2

• 30.  RE: SEP 11.0 MR4 MP2

Posted May 04, 2009 08:49 AM
    Thanks for the update Paul.  Can we get a list of what all changes are expected soon?   Will help me here to get it justification for the upgrade and allow me to get  tentative dates on my change management calendar.

• 31.  RE: SEP 11.0 MR4 MP2

Posted May 04, 2009 08:52 AM
    Does anyone know whether or not it'll be possible to upgrade clients from MR3 to MR4 MP2?  Thanks!

• 32.  RE: SEP 11.0 MR4 MP2

Posted May 04, 2009 08:53 AM
    Has MR2 released, which was doe in April. What are the changes incorporated.

• 33.  RE: SEP 11.0 MR4 MP2

Posted May 04, 2009 09:10 AM
    No it hasn't been released yet.  Read Paul's most recent post above.

• 34.  RE: SEP 11.0 MR4 MP2

Posted May 04, 2009 10:18 AM
    Once it is released, all fixes will be documented in the Release Notes document, which can always be found at  http://service1.symantec.com/support/ent-security.nsf/854fa02b4f5013678825731a007d06af/2c62c4ee0e697aae882573b000034ded?OpenDocument

• 35.  RE: SEP 11.0 MR4 MP2

Posted May 07, 2009 10:46 AM
    So I am still running 11.0.3001.2224. I downloaded MR4 and MR4MP1 yesterday but after reading the posts here I am leery of performing the upgrade. My install is somewhat stable, although I do have issues with SEPM getting signature updates reliably. But a reboot of the server usually fixes that. There are few minor annoyances, but I can live with those. I don't want to make my world anymore complicated than what it already is. And, from what I am reading it does not appear Symantec is testing their upgrades thoroughly enough. But that is just my opinion. So should I upgrade or should I not?

• 36.  RE: SEP 11.0 MR4 MP2

Posted May 07, 2009 10:42 PM
    Hi puck2u, Here's the link to the release notes up to MR4 MP1a, you can review them and see if you are experiencing any bugs.

As to the testing of Symantec on the product, I am sure they have procedures which pass IT standards.

• 37.  RE: SEP 11.0 MR4 MP2

Posted May 12, 2009 03:28 PM

Do we have a confirmed date for when we expect mr4mp2 to be available to us?

• 38.  RE: SEP 11.0 MR4 MP2

Posted May 13, 2009 03:51 AM
    I do believe there is an unconfirmed date of the 15th.

I got a copy of the latest Cleanwipe utility yesterday, which had a version of x.x.4020.xx so I'm guessing it's iminant.

Cheers
    nick

• 39.  RE: SEP 11.0 MR4 MP2

Posted May 13, 2009 08:39 AM
    I am hoping the ability to specify a http install point for pushing from sepm is back.  I used this to update my field offices and it worked very well.  How I do it and I highly recommend this one as it worked so well was to do a SMS push after hours to all systems in the office so we could do the bulk of the upgrades after hours at a specific time we picked.  The next morning I assigned the package and had  a sever local to the office hosting the http package and that way I picked up all the laptops as they came into the office.    We had about a 99-100% sucess rate in most office only one office had a higher failure rate and I was able to explain that one away since it was the office that the bulk of IT is in and who knows what we do to our machines at time with all the stuff we test and such.

• 40.  RE: SEP 11.0 MR4 MP2

Posted May 14, 2009 08:40 AM

So hopefully we will get new version of SEP by tomorrow.
    How to get new Cleanswipe for SEP 11 MR4 MP2

I have cleanswipe which is 1622km in size, dont know how much old is this.
    Please tell how to check its version number and how can i get a new version if avaialble.

Regards
    RG

• 41.  RE: SEP 11.0 MR4 MP2

Posted May 15, 2009 07:41 AM
    today's the 15th of May ........ :-)

I'm waiting, because we had a lot of trouble with the ping-response time error with SEP11 MR4MP1, which raised from 1ms to 15 ms per packet

• 42.  RE: SEP 11.0 MR4 MP2

Posted May 15, 2009 08:46 AM
    We are on track for RTM today, but that will be the afternoon, PACIFIC time (as always).

The RTM date is the date which we release the code internally.  It normally finds its way to Platinum pretty quickly and to Fileconnect after that.

I'm happy to report that all boxes have been ticked for Fileconnect submission, so that too should be reasonably quick this time around.

• 43.  RE: SEP 11.0 MR4 MP2

Posted May 15, 2009 10:35 AM
    Is the change list available yet?

• 44.  RE: SEP 11.0 MR4 MP2

Posted May 15, 2009 02:08 PM
    I'm excited to see what's changed :)

• 45.  RE: SEP 11.0 MR4 MP2

Posted May 15, 2009 04:54 PM

The change list is not available yet.  Once it is, it will probably be posted at http://service1.symantec.com/SUPPORT/ent-security.nsf/docid_p/2007121216360648 first.

As Paul mentioned, it'll be released internally today.  Platinum customers will have availability between 0-3 days after that (which is also when the doc referenced above gets updated), then the rest of us FileConnect folks will see it anywhere from 1-7 days after the Platinum customers.  This is if recent release history holds true.  So, be patient and it will come.

• 46.  RE: SEP 11.0 MR4 MP2

Posted May 18, 2009 10:26 AM
    Just checked again this morning and we don't see the MR4 MP2 on the platinum/BCS site....

• 47.  RE: SEP 11.0 MR4 MP2

Posted May 18, 2009 10:29 AM
    This is fantastic.. Just last Friday, my Network people inform me that they are having slow ping times and they have determined SEP is the culprit:
    Here's a portion of their email:
    "The pings average from 4ms to 20ms. On the LAN, they should be under 1 ms. We traced it back to Symantec Endpoint Protection's "Network Threat Protection". Turning that off restores pings to normal times."

So I deflect the issue at first, I mean...how could it add that much time!  But I do my due diligence and search..  and what do you know...  I come across a thread started  over 2 MONTHS AGO with the exact details.

Regardless, it seems I have an answer.  I tell them I have solution (pending the release). 
    Which will be Today?????

Thanks...

• 48.  RE: SEP 11.0 MR4 MP2

Posted May 18, 2009 11:04 AM
    I, too, would love to know when this will actually become available, or at least a bugfix list..

• 49.  RE: SEP 11.0 MR4 MP2

Posted May 18, 2009 11:44 AM
    Someone just posted that it was released in this other thread...I don't see any sign of it yet though.  Not sure what's going on...

https://www-secure.symantec.com/connect/forums/antivirus-warning

• 50.  RE: SEP 11.0 MR4 MP2

Posted May 18, 2009 12:43 PM
    It has been released internally and may have gotten the go ahead already for posting to platinum, but it takes some time for the files to actually upload to platinum and for the change list to be updated as well.  These events are all handled by different folks at Symantec, so it often takes awhile for things to get into sync.

After this happens, and a possible delay to give the Platinum folks some time to bang away at the release, it'll get posted to FileConnect for the Gold maintenance folks.

If I had to guess, I'd say Platinum will get access later today or tomorrow and FileConnect will see it by the weekend.  This estimate is strictly based on past experience and no knowledge of where the process is currently at Symantec.

• 51.  RE: SEP 11.0 MR4 MP2

Posted May 18, 2009 01:39 PM
    I pinged the group that updates the builds on Platinum. I will let everyone know as soon as it is available for download.

Thomas

• 52.  RE: SEP 11.0 MR4 MP2

Posted May 18, 2009 04:19 PM
    Is it possible to downgrade a client from MR4 to MR3 from the console?  It would seem I could just change the installation package to MR3, but that seems a bit too 'simple'.
    thx

* apologies - - this should have been a new topic, but I was too quick...didn't know how to delete the post nor did I want 2 of the same questions sitting out here.

• 53.  RE: SEP 11.0 MR4 MP2

Posted May 18, 2009 06:45 PM
    Selecting the product shows MR4 MP2 is available but no link within the product yet

MR4 MP2 release notes now available

http://service1.symantec.com/SUPPORT/ent-security.nsf/docid_p/2007121216360648

• 54.  RE: SEP 11.0 MR4 MP2

Posted May 18, 2009 07:06 PM
    Downloading MR4 MP2 now.

• 55.  RE: SEP 11.0 MR4 MP2

Posted May 19, 2009 09:34 AM

• 56.  RE: SEP 11.0 MR4 MP2

Posted May 19, 2009 09:46 AM
    SKLassen: I am using SEP 11.0 MR4, can you please suggest what is the easiest / less volumenous way to upgrade to MR4MP2? Thanks

• 57.  RE: SEP 11.0 MR4 MP2

Posted May 19, 2009 10:05 AM
    SEP 11 MR4 MP2 CD's are now available for download from Platinum.

• 58.  RE: SEP 11.0 MR4 MP2

Posted May 19, 2009 11:10 AM
    There is an issue with the download of CD number 2. Support is working to resolve the issue.
    I will update here when the problem is resolved.

Thomas

• 59.  RE: SEP 11.0 MR4 MP2

Posted May 19, 2009 02:21 PM
    I just tested the Platinum site. Both CD's are now available for download.

https://www-secure.symantec.com/platinum/login.html

Cheers,
    Thomas

• 60.  RE: SEP 11.0 MR4 MP2

Posted May 19, 2009 03:14 PM
    rakeshg1553:  The absolutely easiest way is by using the auto-upgrade feature.  To use this method, you'll have to wait until you can access the full package.  If a Platinum support customer, you have access now.  If Gold support, then it will probably be a few days before it shows up on FileConnect.

After you have the full install media, the basic steps are as follows:
    1)   Read the readme.txt on CD1.
    2)  Upgrade your SEPM install first.
    3)  Assign the new MR4MP2 client install packages to your client groups.

As your client systems check in with the server, they will recognize that there a new package and will install.  Fairly easy and intuitive.

• 61.  RE: SEP 11.0 MR4 MP2

Posted May 19, 2009 03:34 PM
    I ran the upgrade from CD1 and it went smoothly. I've got one server running the front end and another server running SQL 2005 and both were upgraded without any issues.

• 62.  RE: SEP 11.0 MR4 MP2

Posted May 19, 2009 04:01 PM
    Is anyone seeing this on file connect yet? So far I only see 11.0.4 MR4 MP1

• 63.  RE: SEP 11.0 MR4 MP2

Posted May 19, 2009 04:51 PM
    File Connect runs a few days behind Platinum. Keep checking back near the end of the week.

Thomas

• 64.  RE: SEP 11.0 MR4 MP2

Posted May 20, 2009 01:27 PM
    Symantec is still experiencing issues with the Platinum site. Please keep trying the link, as the issue only  happens when two customers are requesting the download at the same moment.

Thomas

• 65.  RE: SEP 11.0 MR4 MP2

Posted May 20, 2009 04:18 PM
    It's up on file connect now.

• 66.  RE: SEP 11.0 MR4 MP2

Posted May 20, 2009 05:04 PM

I'm downloading it now, but them saying date of posting was the 19th just seems cruel.

• 67.  RE: SEP 11.0 MR4 MP2

Posted May 21, 2009 12:33 PM
    It's listed above on SKlassen's post.  Paul M also has a "stickied" thread that is updated whenever a release is made:
    https://www-secure.symantec.com/connect/forums/info-latest-sep-version-details-and-language-availability-27-feb-2009

We'll keep that thread "at the top" for all to view.  However, it includes the same notes as the Release Notes URL found here:
    http://service1.symantec.com/support/ent-security.nsf/854fa02b4f5013678825731a007d06af/2c62c4ee0e697aae882573b000034ded?OpenDocument

Best,

Eric

• 68.  RE: SEP 11.0 MR4 MP2

Posted May 21, 2009 02:44 PM

After upgrading I am still getting the red slash on the shield and the waiting for update for the proactive piece, however it will update and I get the green dot  eventually .  Is there anyway to speed up this process besides changing client check in time?  I was hoping MP2 would fix this problem per release notes.

Proactive Threat Protection displays the status "Waiting for Update" after a client migration

Fix ID: 1456698
    Symptom: Proactive Threat Protection displays the status "Waiting for Update" after a client migration.
    Solution: After migration, Proactive Threat Protection should be "on" and should display the latest version.

Thanks

• 69.  RE: SEP 11.0 MR4 MP2

Posted May 22, 2009 04:52 AM
    Dear all,

One interesting question is after you upgade the SEP server to MR4 MP2 (or some other version), you may want to upgrade the client too.

There are 2 methods to upgrade the client remotely, one is "Auto upgrade" by the SEPM console and the other method is Deplotment Wizard.

However, the Auto Upgrade method will cause the client PC network connection disconnect for 1 second and then connect again. Normally this is no problem for many application, but it will be a nighmare for some telnet session or application from client to server rely on a very stable network.

Would you please share together to see how to upgrade the client can totally transparent to the users, no network disconnect.

Thank you.

• 70.  RE: SEP 11.0 MR4 MP2

Posted May 22, 2009 05:01 AM
    I've not seen this myself in the relatively small testing I've done so far, but the fact that someone is reporting disconnects worries me.

Network disconnects during install were a symptom we had with the disastrous MP1, and since it didn't happen in MP1a, I had assumed was caused by the dodgy code that required a quick bug fix.

Has anyone tested that the bug fixed by MP1 to MP1a hasn't actually re-surfaced?

Nick

• 71.  RE: SEP 11.0 MR4 MP2

Posted May 22, 2009 05:09 AM
    The disconnect time is very short, just 1 - 2 second, and normally most application through TCP or UDP has no problem. For example the MS Windows application or telnet or ssh to some Cisco or Solaris device.

But this is a problem if a SEP client (MS WIndows) using some application connecting to IBM AS/400 application, this will be the problem. Because even the disconnection time is very very short, those application need to reconnect to the server again.

• 72.  RE: SEP 11.0 MR4 MP2

Posted May 22, 2009 08:19 AM
    I performed an upgrade to MP2 on a few machines and the ping times were improved immediately.  I assume this will also improve the performance at my remote (branch) offices as well.

• 73.  RE: SEP 11.0 MR4 MP2

Posted May 28, 2009 07:56 PM

Can I ask an obvious question? Why are we all still installing this product? We have had nothing but problems since version 11 was released. There are other anti virus products on the market which are easier and quicker to install and that are not as resource intensive on a PC/Server. The fact we are now at SEP 11 MR4 MP2 and still having problems says it all. Its almost 1am in the morning where I am and i'm currently trying to upgrade 2 customer sites to MR4 MP2 (Company i work for sells it unfortunately). Just sat and watched it build a 500mb database for several minutes. Trying to install the client to servers and it just fails - no error message or any indication why it failed. Guess I will have to go back to MR4 MP1 and try again!

• 74.  RE: SEP 11.0 MR4 MP2

Posted May 28, 2009 10:07 PM
    Just got them MR4MP1a...
    now we would be updating to MP2 again...
    just reading this thread tires me already...
    but challenging though...

• 75.  RE: SEP 11.0 MR4 MP2

Posted May 30, 2009 09:47 PM
    Hi Paul

I just tried to access your latest version thread and it says access denied, where is it now located with MR2 MP2?

• 76.  RE: SEP 11.0 MR4 MP2

Posted Jun 02, 2009 02:32 PM
    So am I correct in saying that there is no way to do an upgrade without having the short (1-2 second) network disconnect?  If anyone knows if this can be done I would appreciate your input.  Thanks!

• 77.  RE: SEP 11.0 MR4 MP2

Posted Jun 03, 2009 12:41 AM
    In my testing I have found that the network connection drops twice over approximately 3s period and for less than 1s each time. We have not been able to get over this problem while most applications are resilient to this event one application Lotus Notes Client v6.x is not. Lotus Notes mail see's the network drop and errors when closing the mail database.

The only way we are comfortable deploying MR4 MP2 is while our users are logged off which means an extended deployment because of user compliance as we are not able to force user to log off.

• 78.  RE: SEP 11.0 MR4 MP2

Posted Jun 03, 2009 09:57 AM

With the MR4 MP2 release it seems I have to make sure IE and Outlook are both closed or the end user will get a pop up "The following applications should be closed before continuing the installation...".  I don't think I had to close down IE with the older installer versions of SEP.  Anyone else having this problem? is there a way around this, do they really need to be closed? I want to roll this out in the middle of night and this could cause some issues.  Thanks!

• 79.  RE: SEP 11.0 MR4 MP2

Posted Jun 11, 2009 05:36 PM
    I've had the same issue that a few others have mentioned - during the upgrade installation, the network disconnects twice for a couple of seconds.  The Novell network connection re-establishes, however Lotus Notes is very sensitive and crashes when the network drops.  So I can't distribute the upgrade this way.

In working with tech support, they had me build an install package, but leave out the Lotus Notes scanner.  With that package, my pings to a couple servers stayed up.  So right now it looks like it might be the Notes scanner.  This is a setting in the Install Feature Set, under the Antivirus Email Protection section.  If you have this issue, are you using the Notes scanner as well?

I'll follow up with Symantec tech support and see if they have a way to install with the Notes scanner (obviously we need this installed).  Thanks!

• 80.  RE: SEP 11.0 MR4 MP2

Posted Aug 31, 2009 05:25 PM
    Hi,

Refer to this discussion thread:

http://www.symantec.com/connect/forums/windows-7-rc-client-and-sep-11-mr4

Kind regards,
    Kenneth A.
    www.symantec.com

• 81.  RE: SEP 11.0 MR4 MP2

Posted Sep 14, 2009 02:13 PM

We tried putting the old MR4MP1 on a MS 2008 Server as an unmanaged client several months ago.

The application we run on that server is a mobile facilities request app.  It has high I/O access and everytime the app. ran more that a few hours or few days - access to users went away.  The Server never went down but the users were unable to gain access.

As soon as we loaded MR4MP2 client to that server - Of course we removed all reference to MR4MP1, then the access problems totally went away.

MR4MP2 solved thiis particular problem which was discussed in several forums - obviously another great reason to keep these forums going, and current.

Thanks