Endpoint Protection

View Only
  • 1.  SEP 11.0.x and SEPM 12.1.5... LiveUpdate

Posted Apr 17, 2015 02:47 AM

Hi all,

i work for a few month now for a worldwide company, with Headquarters and agencies located all over the world, connected to the company network with slow network DSL lines.

We have :

- 2 Symantec SEPM server located on our Datacenter

- somes GUP located on each Country HeadQuarters, with hundreds of SEP clients

- Thousands of SEP clients located in the agencies.

On January 5th 2015, SEP clients 11.0.x didn't get any updates from SEPM Server, which was in 11.0.6 version.

We then upgraded SEPM servers and GUP to version 12.1.5.

Since then, all is working again.

We are upgrading old SEP 11.0.x clients to version 12.1.5, but it's a huge work...

My Question :

Will old SEP 11.0.x clients continue to get updates from SEPM servers ?

Is there a known date at which Symantec SEPM servers will stop to give updates for old clients 11.0.x ?

Regards,

MrPochpoch

• 2.  RE: SEP 11.0.x and SEPM 12.1.5... LiveUpdate

Posted Apr 17, 2015 03:40 AM
    Will old SEP 11.0.x clients continue to get updates from SEPM servers ? Sep 11.x client received untrusted defenition from sepm 12. Is there a known date at which Symantec SEPM servers will stop to give updates for old clients 11.0.x ? There is no known date.I suggest you can upgrade sep 11 to sep 12.x using autoupgrade feature. Upgrade Symantec Endpoint Protection 12.1 clients using AutoUpgrade http://www.symantec.com/docs/TECH96789

• 3.  RE: SEP 11.0.x and SEPM 12.1.5... LiveUpdate

Posted Apr 17, 2015 04:40 AM

Thanks for your answer.

"Sep 11.x client received untrusted definition from sepm 12". "There is no known date"

If yes, i don't have problems anymore... ;-)

Migration Project from SEP 11.0.x to SEP 12.1.5 is in progress ... But will long a few months...

We don't want to use AutoUpgrade Feature, as it is creating WAN overconsumption. We could use it for our HeadQuarters in each countries, where there is hundreds of SEP clients located in the same local network.

But for our thousands stations located worldwide, and only connected to our Network through slow DSL lines, this autoupgrade feature is not usable, as it will create WAN overconsumption...

Regards,

MrPochpoch.

• 4.  RE: SEP 11.0.x and SEPM 12.1.5... LiveUpdate

Posted Apr 17, 2015 05:16 AM

Hello,

the main concern is that SEP 11.0 is not supported anymore, hence even if your clients can get the definitions from SEPM 12.1, they are not tested for SEP 11.0, thus you won't be entitled for any assistance in case of issues with the definitions or any other SEP 11.0 feature. Of course, you are also missing all new features and improved protection offered by SEP 12.1.

• 5.  RE: SEP 11.0.x and SEPM 12.1.5... LiveUpdate

Posted Apr 17, 2015 06:57 AM
    There is no date and you won't get a definitive answer to this. I have a SEP 11.x client which gets periodic updates from a12.1 SEPM. At this point you're rolling the dice on whether it gets updated or not. Best bet is to get to 12.1 asap.

• 6.  RE: SEP 11.0.x and SEPM 12.1.5... LiveUpdate

Posted May 07, 2015 09:15 AM

Thanks for all your answers ...

Regards.

• 7.  RE: SEP 11.0.x and SEPM 12.1.5... LiveUpdate

Trusted Advisor
    Posted May 07, 2015 09:44 AM

June was the date we recieved for full cut off of SEP 11 defs from Symantec.

Advice would be to upgrade asap as although defs are still being released they are currently untested by symantec and there are variations of risks that are not detected by SEP 11 current defs that are detected by SEP 12 which we have tested and proven.