Endpoint Protection

View Only
  • 1.  SEP 12.1 - FreeExtractor Error

Posted Jul 12, 2011 04:36 PM

I exported SEP 12.1 x64 client to the file setup.exe on my Windows 7 x64 laptop. When I double-click to run the exported setup.exe ZIP file, I get the following error:

An error prevents this program from continuing:
    Can't write temp file The system cannot find the path specified.

I'm able to workaround the issue in one of two ways:

1. I can right-click the setup.exe ZIP file and choose Run as Administrator which then works.
    2. I can use 7-Zip to extract the contents of the setup.exe ZIP file and then run the actual Setup.exe installer within.

While both of those workarounds resolve the issue, if this happens frequently, it's going to cause some issues with our 150+ remote locations, as the local admins attempt to deploy/upgrade to SEP 12.1.

Any ideas?

• 2.  RE: SEP 12.1 - FreeExtractor Error

Posted Jul 14, 2011 06:49 AM

Hi,

SEP must be deployed with administrator's rights, as you wrote, it works.

• 3.  RE: SEP 12.1 - FreeExtractor Error

Posted Jul 14, 2011 08:48 AM

But why isn't a UAC prompt appearing? That's how it worked with SEP 11 install packages.

Actually, when I tried this on a Windows 2008 R2 SP1 server, the same package did give a UAC prompt. For some reason, the SEP 12.1 setup.exe package isn't doing that on my Windows 7 machine.

It would help if I knew which "temp" directory it was trying to expand to.

• 4.  RE: SEP 12.1 - FreeExtractor Error

Posted Jul 14, 2011 09:19 AM

The temp directory is specified in the install settings pane on the SEPM, generally its C:\WINDOWS\TEMP, but the client package may also be trying to use %temp%