Endpoint Protection

View Only
  • 1.  SEP 12.1 & Live Update Question

Posted Jul 07, 2011 09:07 AM

In SEP 11.* you could manually run live update from \Program Files\Symantec\LiveUpdate\LUALL.exe , I've just upgraded my test machine to SEP 12.1 & There is now no \LiveUpdate\ directory & the Symantec LiveUpdate Settings link in Control Panel has also disappeared .

Is there something new with regards to LiveUpdate in SEP 12.1 ? or is the install corrupt ?

Cheers

• 2.  RE: SEP 12.1 & Live Update Question

Posted Jul 07, 2011 09:20 AM

start

run

type: Luall.exe; 

does that run?

• 3.  RE: SEP 12.1 & Live Update Question
    Best Answer

Posted Jul 07, 2011 09:43 AM

We've changed how LiveUpdate works with 12.1, so the old methods don't really work.

If you're looking at scripting LiveUpdate, you can script C:\Program Files\Symantec\Symantec Endpoint Protection\SepLiveUpdate.exe.

Are you having any specific issues with clients (beyond not seeing LiveUpdate)?

• 4.  RE: SEP 12.1 & Live Update Question

Posted Jul 13, 2011 07:34 AM

That was all I was wondering. Thanks

• 5.  RE: SEP 12.1 & Live Update Question

Posted Jul 14, 2011 03:22 PM

Two questions:

1) What are the command-line switches available for SepLiveUpdate.exe

2) Where is the name of the LiveUpdate Server kept? (I need to script a program that will allow me to toggle between our internal LU Server and the Symantec LU Servers).

Thanks,

-Mike

• 6.  RE: SEP 12.1 & Live Update Question

Posted Jul 14, 2011 04:08 PM

1.) There are no switches.

2.) C:\Program Files\Symantec\LiveUpdate\Settings.Hosts.LiveUpdate...although I haven't tested modifying this file, so I'm not sure if it'll get fixed if it's modified.

With the "old" version of LiveUpdate, it checked the settings.liveupdate file and if found to be broken/corrupt/missing, restored it with a default settings.liveupdate...thus wiping out any changes done manually.  Convinently enough, there's a settings.default.liveupdate file in the same folder as the settings.hosts.liveupdate file, and while I haven't tested yet, I'd theorize that if that file was changed as well as the settings.hosts.liveupdate file, were your modified settings file need to be replaced, it'd be replaced by the modified default file.

...again, this is all theory based on what I've seen/done/know about LiveUpdate functionality in SEP 11.

• 7.  RE: SEP 12.1 & Live Update Question

Posted Jul 14, 2011 05:03 PM

My current "LiveUpdate Toggle" utility for SEP 11 works perfectly by deleteing this file:

WinXP - %AllUsersProfile%\Application Data\Symantec\LiveUpdate\Settings.LiveUpdate
    Win 7 - %AllUsersProfile%\Symantec\LiveUpdate\Settings.LiveUpdate

and then recreating a new Settings.LiveUpdate and adding a few key settings.

I was hoping to develop a new version that worked just as well for SEP 12.1.

On 32bit XP Pro and a Win7 64bit client machine running SEP 12.1, I do not see the file "C:\Program Files\Symantec\LiveUpdate\Settings.Hosts.LiveUpdate" or "C:\Program Files(X86)\Symantec\LiveUpdate\Settings.Hosts.LiveUpdate"...in fact I searched the whole HD for anything with a .LiveUpdate extension and came up dry. Any other location/s it might be? I checked for hidden and system files too.

I did see the file (Settings.Hosts.LiveUpdate) on my 64bit SEPM that still has LU 3.3...I guess that 12.1 does it differently and the files are either encrypted or in the registry?

Thanks again for the reply!

-Mike

• 8.  RE: SEP 12.1 & Live Update Question

Posted Jul 15, 2011 08:05 AM

Sorry Mike, I was looking at my SEPM.

On a client, I only see the settings.default.liveupdate, but it's also in the C:\Program Files\Symantec\LiveUpdate folder on my machine here.

I've got to stand up an XP client a little later this morning (whenever my testbox starts behaving), so I'll double check on a fresh install there and let you know if I find something different.

• 9.  RE: SEP 12.1 & Live Update Question

Posted Jul 15, 2011 09:46 AM

So on my brand new install, there's none of these files either.  I consulted a few other colleagues and it doesn't appear to be configurable outside of a policy update at all.