Endpoint Protection

View Only
  • 1.  SEP 12.1 - Location Awareness polling setting

Posted Jul 07, 2014 07:27 PM

Hi

I have a question about how often should location awareness check happen?

Currently it is set as 900 sec. I am assuming that is the default.

And the only check it does is to check for connection to SEPM to determine if onsite or offsite.

I was hoping to reduce this to something like 10 seconds or lower. I wasn't sure if this would cause any flooding to network or not.

We have around 1500 clients all over several sites on 1 SEPM server.

Thanks, DM.

• 2.  RE: SEP 12.1 - Location Awareness polling setting

Posted Jul 07, 2014 07:32 PM

Default is 4 seconds, looks like someone modified that setting. This determines how often the client checks its location. This could be problematic if you have clients coming and going and need to grab different policies based on location.

Personally, I would set it back to 4 seconds unless you have it documented as to why it was changed.

More about Location Awareness in Symantec Endpoint Protection (SEP)

Changing a default location

• 3.  RE: SEP 12.1 - Location Awareness polling setting

Posted Jul 07, 2014 08:03 PM

Thanks for the quick response Brian.

4 seconds sounds good to me.

But if a client polls every 4 seconds to to SEPM server, and you have 1500 clients... wouldnt this put some kind of strain on the network or the server?

Do you know if the check actually attempts connection to SEPM server every 4 seconds?

Thanks, DM.

• 4.  RE: SEP 12.1 - Location Awareness polling setting

Posted Jul 07, 2014 08:11 PM
    Not to my knowledge, the client simply checks against whatever conditions you setup to determine what location it should switch to. This is done only at the client, it won't check in to the SEPM.