Migration UserJul 05, 2011 05:52 PM

Migration User

Migration UserJul 05, 2011 05:58 PM

Migration User

Migration UserJul 06, 2011 05:19 PM

• 1.  SEP 12.1 Release

Posted Jun 23, 2011 04:17 PM

Hello All,

I am delighted to announce the RTM build of SEP 12.1 was declared today.

Product Highlights:

• Best-In-Class protection leveraging STAR technologies such as
      • Insight™ which leverages the data from hundreds of millions of files to deliver reputation
      • Sonar™ providing real-time behavior base protection
      • Browser Intrusion Protection
    • Built for virtualization and high scanning performance with technologies such as
      • Insight Cache Server
      • Scanless and Scan on Idle enabling higher virtual desktop density
    • Simplified administration with improvements such as
      • Support for SPC integration and workflow capabilities
      • Enhanced Client Deployment capabilities and Reporting
      • In Product Licensing
    • Delivered 64-bit Application and Device Control for Windows 7 deployments

Thanks to all our fantastic beta testers for your invaluable input and making SEP 12.1 a truly great product.

Please give us a few days to get things sorted with respect to downloads etc. and don't all call into support asking for it today!

We expect the product will be generally available for download by July 5th 2011.

• 2.  RE: SEP 12.1 Release

Posted Jun 23, 2011 04:51 PM

Great, I can't wait to hear from you. Especially being an internal Symantec employee. I would love to get my hands on the RTM.

• 3.  RE: SEP 12.1 Release

Posted Jun 23, 2011 04:58 PM

PM me your email address, or send me an email

• 4.  RE: SEP 12.1 Release

Posted Jun 24, 2011 08:40 AM

What is the final version of the RTM product for the Enterprise version?   12.1.????    

The final Beta I was running was version 12.1.601.4699.   Will the RTM Product carry a different version?

• 5.  RE: SEP 12.1 Release

Posted Jun 24, 2011 08:57 AM

Yes there is a different version number between beta and RTM. 

• 6.  RE: SEP 12.1 Release

Posted Jun 24, 2011 01:50 PM

Just curious what the final build number of the RTM is. Thanks, look forward to seeing it in File Connect....can't come soon enough!

• 7.  RE: SEP 12.1 Release

Posted Jun 24, 2011 03:00 PM

We are looking forward to installing in our production network.

• 8.  RE: SEP 12.1 Release

Posted Jun 24, 2011 04:39 PM

that is awesome.  I've been looking forward to 12.1 since the beta started.... i just sent you a pm.

thanks

jeff

• 9.  RE: SEP 12.1 Release

Posted Jun 25, 2011 07:01 AM

The RTM version will be 12.1.671.4971

thx

• 10.  RE: SEP 12.1 Release

Posted Jun 27, 2011 02:32 PM

I know the date in the OP says it should be everywhere by July 5th, but any idea if the Beta group will be sent a link or it will make it's way to File Connect before that? I can't wait to deploy!

• 11.  RE: SEP 12.1 Release

Posted Jul 05, 2011 02:04 PM

Any update Paul on the download? I know you said it should be around today, and am exicted to download it and start working on deployment. Thanks!

• 12.  RE: SEP 12.1 Release

Posted Jul 05, 2011 02:27 PM

Is x64 App and Device control excluive to Windows 7?

Or will this work also with Win XP x64?

Thank you.

• 13.  RE: SEP 12.1 Release

Posted Jul 05, 2011 03:15 PM

When can we expect SPC 2.0?

• 14.  RE: SEP 12.1 Release

Posted Jul 05, 2011 04:17 PM

Yes, they will work on XP x64

• 15.  RE: SEP 12.1 Release

Posted Jul 05, 2011 04:20 PM

towards the end of July at the moment, the SPC team decided to postpone their release slightly to wait for some more feedback on the newest version from their beta customers.

• 16.  RE: SEP 12.1 Release

Posted Jul 05, 2011 05:16 PM

Paul

Will the beta licenses that expire before the end of July shut down SEP and/or SEPM or will there be a grace period that will cover us?

Thanks

• 17.  RE: SEP 12.1 Release

Posted Jul 05, 2011 05:20 PM

The license you have on the public beta is a trialware license.

For the enterprise product, that is 60 days from the date of install, there is no grace period.

When the product expires, your clients will stop getting updates and you will be prompted when you login to the console.

SEP12 is out now though, you should be able to take your SEP12 serial number and license the trialware.  You can then upgrade at your leisure.

• 18.  RE: SEP 12.1 Release

Posted Jul 05, 2011 05:49 PM

A few of the companies I work for were able to upgrade their licenses, but one I do is not able to. The one that can currently have SYMC PROTECTION SUITE ADVANCED BUSINESS EDITION 3.0 cannot upgrade

The ones that can have this below:

SYMC PROTECTION SUITE ENTERPRISE EDITION 3.0

We were able to move to 4.0 for the suites listed at the bottom but not the one at the top. You have any idea what gives on that? I called support and they told me I'd have to wait till August. Doesn't make any sense? The only feature upgraded if I remember was the move from SEP 11 to SEP 12....

I guess I could install the upgrade but leave the license file out until I get it as I have 60 days, but it seems silly they are leaving that one out?

Thanks for any help you can give.

• 19.  RE: SEP 12.1 Release

Posted Jul 05, 2011 05:52 PM

can you PM me their SPS ABE license key please?

• 20.  RE: SEP 12.1 Release

Posted Jul 05, 2011 05:58 PM

Done, thanks Paul.

• 21.  RE: SEP 12.1 Release

Posted Jul 05, 2011 06:26 PM

Paul;

We currently have SEP 11 licenses.  Do I contact Customer support for a license upgrade?  I have not seen an email from customer support with upgrade information.  I looked at the Symantec site this morning and did not find any information on the release of SEP 12.

Thanks

• 22.  RE: SEP 12.1 Release

Posted Jul 06, 2011 04:23 AM

no, you should be able to version upgrade your license online.

Follow the steps here to do so: https://www-secure.symantec.com/connect/articles/how-upgrade-your-sep11-license-sep12-online

and you should be good.

• 23.  RE: SEP 12.1 Release

Posted Jul 06, 2011 06:24 AM

Upgrading was very easy, took 2 minutes. Thanks Paul

• 24.  RE: SEP 12.1 Release

Posted Jul 06, 2011 09:05 AM

Hi Paul,

Does it supports Itanium processors?

Rgrds,

SAM

• 25.  RE: SEP 12.1 Release

Posted Jul 06, 2011 09:11 AM

No support for Itanium.

Customers using Itanium with Windows should continue to use SAV 10.2 which supports Itanium and Windows Server 2008 R2 (which is the last version of Windows to support Itanium).

Since most of our customers are using Itanium today with non-Windows platforms, there is very little demand for this, as opposed to Mac or Linux for example.

• 26.  RE: SEP 12.1 Release

Posted Jul 06, 2011 11:13 AM

I looked at our SEP 11.x renewal, tried the M#### code, 12.x does not appear on FileConnect.

I looked at our SEP 11.x cert_nam pdf file, associated its customer/order number with my account, no notification/license key etc. information appears.

When will we all be emailed about this upgrade?? 3 months from now??

Thank you, Tom

• 27.  RE: SEP 12.1 Release

Posted Jul 06, 2011 11:17 AM

Tom, notifications are being sent out for all customers in alphabetical order - we have hundreds of thousands of customers, it could take a while for everyone to receive them.

If you have your SEP11 license key registered on the licensing portal you should be able to get your version upgrade key using the steps here: https://www-secure.symantec.com/connect/articles/how-upgrade-your-sep11-license-sep12-online

• 28.  RE: SEP 12.1 Release

Posted Jul 06, 2011 11:48 AM

I tried to register it...I put in customer ID and order ID and got no notification number etc., I will try again...

Thank you on the alphabetical order explanation -- alphabetical on WHAT?? -- company?? last name?? favorite color?? :) :)

Thank you, Tom

• 29.  RE: SEP 12.1 Release

Posted Jul 06, 2011 12:37 PM

You need to register your M number for SEP11 to a licensing portal account - if you dont have one or cannot remember it you can create a new licensing account.  Once you have that done, you need to go through the version upgrade button and your SEP12 license key should be shown.

Its alphanbetical based on company, so if you work for Zebbedees Zebra Supplies it may take for us to get to you!  Regardless of that though, EVERY customer should be able to do their own version upgrade through the portal without recieving the notification.

• 30.  RE: SEP 12.1 Release

Posted Jul 06, 2011 01:01 PM

I guess I must wait a few months. :)

I registered the M number of our most current renewal into the licensing portal, I don't get any response of a new key etc. when I choose the customer number associated with the M number.

Conclusion: Symantec's license etc. system is neither well organized nor easy to use.

Thank you, Tom

P.S. Love your forum handle :) :)

• 31.  RE: SEP 12.1 Release

Posted Jul 06, 2011 01:08 PM

thanks Tom.

Can you PM me your license key please, and we will look into this.

Let me definitely check though, once you are in the LP, you are clicking the Version Upgrade button and clicking "I don't have an upgrade notification ID" ?

• 32.  RE: SEP 12.1 Release

Posted Jul 06, 2011 02:43 PM

yeah I followed the link above as well, and I entered my M number that gets me into FileConnect and it told me the serial # was incorrect.  I also placed the customer # that is already listed in the licensing portal for me and it told me I had an invalid customer #.  I clicked on Get Software, entered the same M number and it brought me directly into my FileConnect page, so I know my serial is legit and valid.  Should I PM you the info?

• 33.  RE: SEP 12.1 Release

Posted Jul 06, 2011 02:55 PM

Yes please, but to start with.. where are entering the M number the first time?

Have you logged into the licensing portal with your SymAccount?

• 34.  RE: SEP 12.1 Release

Posted Jul 06, 2011 04:13 PM

yeah I'm sorry.  This is in the Licensing Portal that I am doing this.  It only showed my SAV for NAS serial there, so I am trying to enter the one I have for SEP license.

Manage Licenses > Add Licenses To Your Catalog

That's where I am getting the above errors.

• 35.  RE: SEP 12.1 Release

Posted Jul 06, 2011 04:24 PM

ok thanks.. can you PM me your license key and I will take a look

• 36.  RE: SEP 12.1 Release

Posted Jul 06, 2011 05:00 PM

Paul;

I had to call customer service to get my SEP 11 serial number corrected.  When they found the correct one they issued me an upgrade notification right there.  I am installed and licensed.

Thank you for all your help on this.

• 37.  RE: SEP 12.1 Release

Posted Jul 06, 2011 05:19 PM

awesome, thanks for letting us know.

• 38.  RE: SEP 12.1 Release

Posted Jul 06, 2011 05:45 PM

Hey Paul one last question if I may. I have one client who I upgraded to SEP 12.1 from SEP 11 and noticed that they have 1 more client than their license allows after swapping a few new machines in today. What will happen to this client that is over the amount? Will it cut it off? Will it stop updating? I will get the amount recified but didn't know what would happen in the short term.

• 39.  RE: SEP 12.1 Release

Posted Jul 06, 2011 06:37 PM

Love SEP and 12.1 is great. No problem with license or key but outlook was taking 10 min to download a simple email - 3 hours with a great guy on tech support and the only solution was to disable internet email auto-protect. Running Win7 Ultimate with Office 2010 on a new i7 machine. Any others with this problem? Is this a defect? Will it be fixed? Is there another soution? Do I still have full protection?

• 40.  RE: SEP 12.1 Release

Broadcom Employee
    Posted Jul 06, 2011 07:19 PM

Not to hijack this thread and turn it into a random troubleshooting area, but...

You still have full protection in the sense that our email scanning is redundant. Once you actually try and download the attachment to execute it, then regular File System Auto-Protect will come into play.

I would disagree that the solution is to simply disable that component though. That's a workaround. The technician you are working with should collect WPP and VPdebug logs for additional information to determine what is causing the slow down and see if we can do something about it. I would recommend you re-engage support so that further investigation can be performed.

Hope that helps!

• 41.  RE: SEP 12.1 Release

Posted Jul 06, 2011 07:20 PM

I have been using SEP 12.1 beta on Win 7 Enterprise 64-bit and have had no problems with the Internet email scanning option for POP3 email with Outlook 2010 pre or post SP1 from MS.

• 42.  RE: SEP 12.1 Release

Posted Jul 06, 2011 07:32 PM

Ran the beta for  3-4 days before the new release and actually tried the fix which worked today on the fianl product and it didn't work on the beta so maybe they are working toward a solution.

Where is the right thread?

• 43.  RE: SEP 12.1 Release

Posted Jul 08, 2011 04:57 PM

Hi Paul,

We could hardly wait to upgrade to 12.1.

However, we are experiencing some weird issues with Version Upgrade in Symantec Licensing Portal and have not been able to upgrade at all.  Perhaps you could help us look into the issue if at all possible.  I would be happy to PM you the details (there was a case logged with Symantec Customer Care, but the issues still haven't been resolved.)

Back in 2010, we had Version Upgrade'd our SAV 10.2 to SEP 11.0.

Every year (since we first purchased SAV originally) we have purchased essential support renewal for SAV/SEP.  In fact we recently purchased a 3-year support renewal for SEP, so our support is valid until August 2014.

1>

When we tried to Version Upgrade our SEP 11.0 to 12.1 via the Licensing Portal, we received this error message:

"There are additional license(s) for this product which are associated with earlier upgrade notifications. You must process these upgrades before you may get the latest license(s). View a list of Earlier Upgrade Notifications"

--> Then the Licensing Portal kept telling us that we could not upgrade to 12.1 unless we upgrade SAV 10.2 to SEP 11.0 first (which we had already done in 2010, and Symantec Licensing had confirmed that).

When we went ahead anyway to do what the Licensing Portal instructed us to do (i.e. to attempt to upgrade 10.2 to 11.0 using an older Version Upgrade Notification ID #), of course that didn't work (naturally, because that serial number for 10.2 had already been upgraded to 11.0).

We tried 4 times and simply couldn't get it to upgrade to 12.1

2>

Symantec Licensing re-sent us the Version Upgrade Notification e-mail (with a Serial Number for SEP 12.1).  When we attempted to register that number directly, we received the error message:

"The serial number you entered is for a version upgrade. In order to receive your version upgrade license key, please go to Get a Key for a Version Upgrade from the homepage or the top navigation."

Of course, we had already tried Version Upgrade, but it didn't work (as described in # 1 above)

At this point we are more lost and confused than ever.  laugh  Any help you could provided would be greatly appreciated.

• 44.  RE: SEP 12.1 Release

Posted Jul 08, 2011 11:11 PM

Hi,

I also had the same issue during the upgrade of 12.1, but after i done the previous upgrades it allowed me to do the 12.1...

check correctly whether all the previous licenses are upgraded, if not you can check with licensing support..

• 45.  RE: SEP 12.1 Release

Posted Jul 13, 2011 11:45 AM

menteth/David-Z

If you're using Microsoft Exchange or Domino server for email, and you're using Symantec Mail Security or the Symantec SMTP scanning product to scan the message store/mailflow against your email server, I can't think of a reason the Symantec client email autoprotect should be used.  We generally don't have anyone using POP to get their email via Outlook, and we have always found - in every version of SAV/SEP - enabling the email autoprotect scanning for clients cause serious delays in email for those users.

If you are protected at the email server, I don't see a reason to use that Symantec feature. 

• 46.  RE: SEP 12.1 Release

Posted Jul 15, 2011 05:32 PM

Two questions.

1. If we're on 11.6, how much incentive is there to upgrade sooner rather than later? I get there's a little improved performance, and reportedly better VM support (though we've never had real problems with SEP on VMs). Are those compelling enough, or are there other compelling reasons, to hurry up and upgrade now? If things are kind of busy and we want to drag our feet for a while, how long until we *have* to upgrade?

2. Do we have to upgrade everything at once -- SEPM plus all clients? I haven't been able to find the documentation yet, but that's a big consideration for us, if we can hit the SEPM and do clients at our leisure, or if we need to plan for a company-wide upgrade all at once.

Thanks.

• 47.  RE: SEP 12.1 Release

Posted Jul 15, 2011 06:20 PM
    You can upgrade the backend (SEPM) to 12.1 and manage 12.1 and 11 clients. This would allow you selectively upgrade clients to 12.1 like VM's and wait for the others. You could always upgrade SEPM to 12.1 and leave 11 clients in place and just get advantage from infrastructure features like SPC 2.0, alerts that can be read on any mobile device, etc.... SEP 11 is supported until 2014 I believe. The above strategy is what I plan to take for our clients.

• 48.  RE: SEP 12.1 Release

Posted Jul 17, 2011 10:57 AM

Hi,

Can you send me a PM with your license details please and I will see what we can do.

• 49.  RE: SEP 12.1 Release

Posted Jul 17, 2011 11:00 AM

You have plenty of time to upgrade.  The drivers will be different for everyone, for some its the increased performance generally or just when updating.  For others its having all functionality working on 64 bit platforms, for some its our virtualisation features.

SEP12 really is greater than the sum of its parts and its description - you should at least test it out in a small environment if you have a couple of hours - I think you will be pleasantly surprised :-)

• 50.  RE: SEP 12.1 Release

Posted Aug 16, 2011 09:50 AM

I downloaded and installed SEPM and went through the version upgrade.  Entered our Upgrade Notification ID, downloaded the new .slf file.  When I activated the license, it shows we only have 5 licenses instead of the 15.  I've clicked through everything I can find, but just can't seem to get all our licenses on there.

Is there something I can check?

I followed the steps here:

https://www-secure.symantec.com/connect/articles/how-upgrade-your-sep11-license-sep12-online

• 51.  RE: SEP 12.1 Release

Posted Aug 25, 2011 02:41 PM

All,

I've depolyed V12.1 out to all the clients (without them being centrally managed) and I'm having 80% of the users getting scans to be performed mutliple times a day.  Scans starting at 12:30 PM and have 5-6 scans done within 5 min. of each other.

I've double checked the scan settings and see nothing.

Thanks for your assistance.

Cordt

• 52.  RE: SEP 12.1 Release

Posted Aug 25, 2011 04:09 PM

In your AV policy under the scheduled scans, make sure "Scan until finished..." is checked and uncheck "Scan for up to X hours"

• 53.  RE: SEP 12.1 Release

Posted Aug 26, 2011 01:34 PM

I just registered the most current serial number (with an expiration date at the end of 2011) at Symantec licensing portal. I then clicked Version Upgrade tab and entered my Upgrade Notification #.

The next page (Licenses Available for Upgrade Now) shows a serial number of my expired SEPM license (expired in 2010). I don't see the new SN that I just entered with an expiration date of 2011.

Do I have to wait for the new one to show up?

EDIT

IGNORE please. I have got the new serial number for version 12.x