Endpoint Protection Small Business Edition

View Only
Expand all | Collapse all

SEP 12.1 SBE Release

• 1.  SEP 12.1 SBE Release

Posted Jun 23, 2011 04:19 PM

Hello All,

I am delighted to announce the RTM build of SEP 12.1 SBE was declared today.

Product Highlights:

• Best-In-Class protection leveraging STAR technologies such as
      • Insight™ which leverages the data from hundreds of millions of files to deliver reputation
      • Sonar™ providing real-time behavior base protection
      • Browser Intrusion Protection
    • Built for virtualization and high scanning performance with technologies such as
      • Scanless and Scan on Idle enabling higher virtual desktop density
    • Simplified administration with improvements such as
      • Enhanced Client Deployment capabilities and Reporting
      • In Product Licensing

Thanks to all our fantastic beta testers for your invaluable input and making SEP 12.1 a truly great product.

Please give us a few days to get things sorted with respect to downloads etc. and don't all call into support asking for it today!

We expect the product will be generally available for download by July 5th 2011. 

• 2.  RE: SEP 12.1 SBE Release

Posted Jul 07, 2011 08:42 AM

Thanks Paul, excited about this launch.  Just watching the sales presentation and am wondering if there is a comparison document available that details the difference between 12.1 and 12.1 SBE so that we can make an informed decision on which to select for specific situtions beyond the number of PCs?

• 3.  RE: SEP 12.1 SBE Release

• 4.  RE: SEP 12.1 SBE Release

Posted Jul 07, 2011 05:53 PM

Thank you Paul, that was exactly the concise info I needed.  It shows I need to understand carefully the "built for virtual environment" part as pretty much all new SBS sites we do are virtualised now, no matter how small the business.  Perhaps that virtualisation features are just for larger deployments, but at least I knwo I need to study that before selling the licences.  Thanks!  Time to research what each of those options exactly means in the new versions.

• 5.  RE: SEP 12.1 SBE Release

Posted Jul 07, 2011 06:01 PM

No problem, I'd suggest your best place to start for virtualisation is to have a read of this best practices

https://www-secure.symantec.com/connect/sites/default/files/SEP%2012.1%20Virtualization%20Best%20Practices.pdf

Note that Virtual Image Exception and Shared Insight Cache are Enterprise only and not in the SBE version, so if you think your customers could gain benefits from them, they would need the full SEP 12.1, not SBE.

Feel free to post any further questions you may have.

• 6.  RE: SEP 12.1 SBE Release

Posted Jul 08, 2011 04:23 AM

Thanks again.  Looks like these features will not be essential for the sites I manage so as long as the SBE version is "virtual aware" then it should be ok.  Can you do client grouping and tagging for virtual server clients in SBE as detailed in that document?

I am going to install it now on our internal server and see how it goes.

• 7.  RE: SEP 12.1 SBE Release

Posted Jul 08, 2011 10:09 AM

Delivered 64-bit Application and Device Control for Windows 7 deployments

Application & Device Control in the SBE of SEP12.1? Is that really true?

• 8.  RE: SEP 12.1 SBE Release

Posted Jul 08, 2011 09:22 PM

Application & Device Control in the SBE of SEP12.1? Is that really true?

Not according to the above comparison.

• 9.  RE: SEP 12.1 SBE Release

Posted Jul 11, 2011 12:54 PM

Good spot Martin, my apologies for getting people excited - I have corrected the post.

• 10.  RE: SEP 12.1 SBE Release

Posted Jul 11, 2011 12:55 PM

yes, the client will upload the information that allows the server to determine its hypervisor platform.

• 11.  RE: SEP 12.1 SBE Release

Posted Jul 18, 2011 08:21 AM

I knew it was only a Test from you Paul =)

• 12.  RE: SEP 12.1 SBE Release

Posted Aug 02, 2011 02:49 PM

I currently have 12.0, is there a white paper of the issues that are addressed in the new version?

thanks.