Endpoint Protection

View Only
  • 1.  SEP 12.1.7 on RHEL5 won't talk to SEPM 14.0.1

Posted Jun 13, 2018 01:19 PM

My RHEL6 and RHEL7 machines have no problem connecting to the management server running 14 and using the reverse proxy for LiveUpdates.  My RHEL5 machines running SEP 12.1.7, on the other hand, cannot seam to communicate.  I'm running the latest JRE.  Installation and logs after the fact on SEP show no errors.  However, the client never shows up in SEPM and the client is stuck in a "Malfunctioning" state - presumably because it cannot download definitions.  How do I go about troubleshooting?  The client I'm testing on is running RHEL5-11.  It's a test machines so it's a fresh installation.  I don't have ELS with RedHat so other than manually installing the latest Java it's never been patched.

FYI - The LiveUpdate log indicates it's about to connect to the reverse proxy and download but despite the lack of an error they don't install.

• 2.  RE: SEP 12.1.7 on RHEL5 won't talk to SEPM 14.0.1

Posted Jun 13, 2018 06:35 PM
    Start by downloading and running symdiag on the affected client for additional error checking.

• 3.  RE: SEP 12.1.7 on RHEL5 won't talk to SEPM 14.0.1

Posted Jun 13, 2018 06:52 PM

I would love to but it's not supported on RHEL 5.  Only 6.5+

• 4.  RE: SEP 12.1.7 on RHEL5 won't talk to SEPM 14.0.1

Posted Jun 19, 2018 07:31 AM

Hello,

A malfunction can be caused by two factors either definitions missing or additional packages missing.

I would start by checking if the reverse proxy is working by downloading one of these files below. In SEP12 there is the fallback option and it should use symantecliveupdate server from the internet (over 80 port) along with Your defined Revers Proxy server in LiveUpdate policy. I think in SEP 14.x this fallback option is not working You need to add additional LiveUpdate server in Your policy :) 

ht*p://your_SEPM_server:8014/luproxy/minitri.flg

ht*p://your_SEPM_server:8014/luproxy/masttri.zip

Check LiveUpdate logs for more info.

Additionally please check if these packages are existing in OS or just run these command below :)

yum install glibc.i686 glibc.x86_64 libgcc.i686 libgcc.x86_64 libX11.i686 nspr gcc bzip2 kernel-devel kernel-headers

• 5.  RE: SEP 12.1.7 on RHEL5 won't talk to SEPM 14.0.1

Posted Jun 19, 2018 12:24 PM

Turns out I was missing gcc when I installed.  Since RHEL and EPEL repos for RH5 are no longer available it was a total PITA but I got it.  Thank you.