Endpoint Protection

View Only
  • 1.  SEP 14.2 MP1 Distribute Upgrades Over

Posted Nov 12, 2018 02:18 PM

I just configured deployment of the SEP 14.2 MP1 client.  A couple of test groups I set up to distribute immediately (0 days).  Others, I configured between 7 and 14 days. 

To my surprise, I found that SEPM decided to deploy all of the upgrades immediately ignoring the "distribute upgrades over" setting and it is killing my network.

• 2.  RE: SEP 14.2 MP1 Distribute Upgrades Over

Trusted Advisor
    Posted Nov 13, 2018 05:10 AM

What version were you upgrading the clients from and how many machines are you distributing to? 

• 3.  RE: SEP 14.2 MP1 Distribute Upgrades Over

Posted Nov 13, 2018 03:13 PM

The majority of the clients were going from 14.2.770 to 14.2.1023. 

When I checked today, there are some clients that SEPM decided not to distribute the upgrade to yet.  But, it definiately did way too many yesterday.  One group that has two systems in it was set to 7 days and it did them both yesterday.  Another with 8 servers in it was set to 14 days and all were upgraded yesterday.  Antoher group with 19 systems in it was set to 50 days and it did 5 yesterday.

• 4.  RE: SEP 14.2 MP1 Distribute Upgrades Over

Trusted Advisor
    Posted Nov 14, 2018 06:28 AM

Bit of an unusal one I have heard of older versions of SEP in the past like SEP 11 going to the higher versions ignoring the distribute rule but no the newer versions. 

Might be one you have to take up with symantec support. As would expect it to do a load of machines if there were thousands of machines but doesn't seem like there are many on your SEPM. 

• 5.  RE: SEP 14.2 MP1 Distribute Upgrades Over

Posted Nov 15, 2018 09:15 AM

Found this:

https://www.symantec.com/docs/TECH251998

If you migrated to the latest version then clients would still be affected but should be good for future upgrades.

• 6.  RE: SEP 14.2 MP1 Distribute Upgrades Over

Posted Nov 15, 2018 11:05 AM

Cool!  Thanks for finding that.

• 7.  RE: SEP 14.2 MP1 Distribute Upgrades Over

Posted Nov 15, 2018 11:13 AM

You're welcome.

• 8.  RE: SEP 14.2 MP1 Distribute Upgrades Over

Trusted Advisor
    Posted Nov 19, 2018 03:57 AM

Good find that Brian :) 

• 9.  RE: SEP 14.2 MP1 Distribute Upgrades Over

Posted Nov 19, 2018 11:36 AM

Ideally this is how it works..

Upgrade Schedule, assist controlling the time of the client computer upgrade.

• From, To

Specifies a range of time over which to install packages. If the From and To times match, the upgrades start immediately.

• Distribute upgrades over:

Specifies the number of days over which the packages can be distributed. The following formula calculates time:

(Package Size/Server Transfer Rate) * Number of Computers as MB / MB per second * Num = seconds