Endpoint Protection

View Only
  • 1.  SEP Client Version 11.0.5002.333 installation problems

Posted Nov 15, 2009 02:04 AM

Hi: 
    Im working on a Vista 32 Ultimate machine and was trying to install the latest unmanaged client.  At first I got the issue where the install was telling me that I had uncommitted changes and needed to restart.
    Did that, didn't work.  Read the recommended course of action - removing registry info about pendingrename... and did that.  Client installed successfully, but now the PC would not connect to the internet.  Attached my notebook to verify that the internet connection was good - it was.  Restarted the PC in question, still no connection.  Disabled the client and had the connection repair itself worked.   Renabled the client and the connection dropped again.  Removed the client connection has worked since then.  Tried to reinstall the client but got the same message about uncommitted changes - for right now not willing to go thru this excercise again.  Installed another av product with no problem, no uncommitted changes message - none.  Would prefer to go back with the Symantec may reinstall 11.0.4 since that was stable on this pc, but not ready to go thru the excercise again tonight.  Any thoughts?

Mike

• 2.  RE: SEP Client Version 11.0.5002.333 installation problems

Posted Nov 15, 2009 02:31 AM
     Try by in stalling AV/As and see ....

• 3.  RE: SEP Client Version 11.0.5002.333 installation problems

Posted Nov 15, 2009 03:37 AM
    It seems that NTP is blocking the your network connection , that's the reason you are not able to connect to the internet.
    Installed SEP again and go for custom install and select AV and AVS and PTP do not select NTP>

Coming to the Pending chnages requires a reboot is concerned , this is caused bu OS and not Symantec.I feel that there might have been some installation/up-gradation that was done and the system was not restarted  so the value is still in the registry.
    Rename the value for PendingFilerenameoperation  and try the install

• 4.  RE: SEP Client Version 11.0.5002.333 installation problems

Posted Nov 15, 2009 04:56 AM
    Hi Mchean,

Have you checked the SEP firewall's logs?  If a conenction is being blocked, there will generally be an entry recorded there.  In most cases that information will be the key to knowing which NIC, process, etc needs its settings adjusted.

The "pendingrename" is a roadblock that many customers have experienced. Though the issue does come from a third-party's behavior, I understand that in the next release of SEP the way in which our code eacts to pending reboots has been improved. 

Thanks and best regards,

Mick

• 5.  RE: SEP Client Version 11.0.5002.333 installation problems

Posted Nov 15, 2009 11:12 PM
    The NTP(Network Threat Protection) feature is similar to that of a Firewall. It has the ability to block both incoming and outgoing traffic. In case this feature is installed uninstall it and then check for the stability of the internet connection.

http://service1.symantec.com/SUPPORT/ent-security.nsf/docid/2008111808135348