Endpoint Protection

View Only
  • 1.  SEPm 11.5 to 12.1 migration questions

Posted Nov 29, 2011 12:39 PM

I've been searching the support and the community and can't find answers to a couple questions:

1. Does the administration guide for SEP 12.X exist?  I see all the faqs and techdoc's but where is the real admin guide? Or is the product similiar enough to use the 11.6 admin guide that the support site keeps linking me back to?
    2. Can someone with 12.x experience please share how the GUP functionality now works with 12.X or if it's been replaced by a new mechanism or topology. One of our primary reasons to upgrade is for more control of branch office deployments that currenly have GUPs updating each location. 

Please point me in the right path or let me know if I have to open a support ticket to get the answers.  Thanks in advance.

• 2.  RE: SEPm 11.5 to 12.1 migration questions

Posted Nov 29, 2011 01:03 PM
    1. Does the administration guide for SEP 12.X exist?  I see all the faqs and techdoc's but where is the real admin guide? Or is the product similiar enough to use the 11.6 admin guide that the support site keeps linking me back to?

It is different new features such as sonar added in it with enhanced firewall component

http://www.symantec.com/business/support/index?page=content&id=DOC4321

2Can someone with 12.x experience please share how the GUP functionality now works with 12.X or if it's been replaced by a new mechanism or topology. One of our primary reasons to upgrade is for more control of branch office deployments that currenly have GUPs updating each location. 

Gup is same as it was basic of Gup port 2967 should be open from gup machine and its clients

gup and sepm should be communicating on 8014 port and should be up to date

Shared updates folder should get created once machine is set to gup (reboot required for gup machine once configured )with enough space on it .

• 3.  RE: SEPm 11.5 to 12.1 migration questions

Posted Nov 29, 2011 01:07 PM

There are list of Troubleshooting Articles which may be worth Reading for Troubleshooting the Issues related to Symantec Endpoint Protection version 12.1: 

http://techcenter.symantec.com/ecampus/enterprise?siteName=sena&courseNo=SAV6000

1) Troubleshooting Symantec Endpoint Protection

2) Symantec Endpoint Protection Manager 12.1 Communication Troubleshooting

3) Troubleshooting communication problems between the management server and the client

4) Troubleshooting communication problems between the management server and the console or the database

5) Recovering client communication settings by using the SylinkDrop tool

6) Troubleshooting reporting issues

7) Troubleshooting issues with Shared Insight Cache

8) Troubleshooting context-sensitive help for the reporting console

9) Symantec Endpoint Protection: LiveUpdate Troubleshooting Flowchart

10) How to clear out definitions for a Symantec Endpoint Protection 12.1 client manually

11) About commands you can run on client computers

12) Downloading the Symantec Endpoint Protection Support Tool to troubleshoot computer issues

13) Investigating protection problems using the troubleshooting file on the client

14) SEPM: poor database performance

15) Performing disaster recovery

16) Maintaining the database

http://www.symantec.com/business/support/index?page=content&id=TECH163580

• 4.  RE: SEPm 11.5 to 12.1 migration questions

Posted Nov 29, 2011 01:08 PM

Note all above issue in 12.1 are majorly fixed in 12.1ru1

if you are at 11.0.7 it cannot be upgraded to 12.1 but can be to 12.1 ru1

• 5.  RE: SEPm 11.5 to 12.1 migration questions

Posted Nov 29, 2011 01:49 PM

Thanks for all the info Swapnil!

I guess the implementation guide is the same as the admin guide...they used to be 2 seperate pdfs.

Regarding the GUP, is there any new functionality to it?  Can updates be "seeded" to the GUP?  Can the time be scheduled when to allow the GUP to get updates from SEPm?  A big issue for our office is using GUP over slow wan links, does this information below still apply?

https://www-secure.symantec.com/connect/articles/tips-installing-sep-low-bandwidth-environment

Hopefully 12.1 RU1 will bring back some more of the control and flexibility of SavCE.

Thank again,

• 6.  RE: SEPm 11.5 to 12.1 migration questions

• 7.  RE: SEPm 11.5 to 12.1 migration questions

Broadcom Employee
    Posted Nov 30, 2011 05:01 AM

Please find the attached PDF file might help you.

Attachment(s)

• 8.  RE: SEPm 11.5 to 12.1 migration questions

Posted Nov 30, 2011 09:57 AM

Hello!

Actually when you are start to download the product from fileconnect you will find all documentation and tools in a self extractor exe.