Endpoint Protection

View Only
  • 1.  SEPM 12.1.3 LiveUpdate Return code=4

Posted Jul 30, 2015 01:52 PM

My SEPM server is stuck on definitions from 27/07/2015 r20. We have two SEPM servers, primary and secondary both are having the same issue. Confirmed that internet traffic is not being blocked. I opened a ticket with Symantec waiting for them to contact me.

Anyone else having trouble downloading updated definitions? 

• 2.  RE: SEPM 12.1.3 LiveUpdate Return code=4

Posted Jul 30, 2015 01:55 PM

Can you run the symhelp tool on it to troubleshoot?

Is there anything in the log.liveupdate log file?

• 3.  RE: SEPM 12.1.3 LiveUpdate Return code=4

Posted Jul 30, 2015 02:16 PM

Open control Panel -> select Symantec Live update icon. In general tab set it to "Interactive mode" make sure the update cache size is set at leat to 500 MB. then run the luall.exe command. if the live update fails post the log.liveupdate and sesmLu.log files so that we can guide you in the right direction.

• 4.  RE: SEPM 12.1.3 LiveUpdate Return code=4

Posted Jul 31, 2015 08:01 AM
      |   view attached

Thanks to PraveenAyappan suggestion I found that there was something corrupt  with LiveUpdate, from control panel it would not lunch. So I  uninstalled LiveUpdate then reinstalled it from the orginal SEPM media. Once it was installed I made the changes to settings. Set it to Interactive mode and incressed the Cache size from 10 MB to 1024MB. 

I tryed again to run Liveupdate but it came back same code. Return code 4. I left it over night and this morning I ran live update again from SEPM console, this time LiveUpdate was succesfully but my windows Defs are still date 07/27/2015 I am not sure whats happening. 

July 31, 2015 7:35:39 EDT AM:  LiveUpdate succeeded.  [Site: Site TPASEPM1]  [Server: TPASEPM1]
    July 31, 2015 7:35:39 EDT AM:  LUALL.EXE finished running.  [Site: Site TPASEPM1]  [Server: TPASEPM1]
    July 31, 2015 7:35:38 EDT AM:  LUALL.EXE finished.  There were no new content updates. Return code = 1.  [Site: Site TPASEPM1]  [Server: TPASEPM1]
    July 31, 2015 7:35:33 EDT AM:  LUALL.EXE has been launched.  [Site: Site TPASEPM1]  [Server: TPASEPM1]

Attachment(s)

txt
    SesmLu_7.txt   4.35 MB 1 version

• 5.  RE: SEPM 12.1.3 LiveUpdate Return code=4

Posted Jul 31, 2015 08:39 AM

Have you had a look-see at this trousbleshooting article yet?

http://www.symantec.com/docs/TECH105924

Also, I know this is basic, but have you checked free disk space and the like?  The only reason I ask is that the sesmlu log you posted only covers 8th to 12th July.

• 6.  RE: SEPM 12.1.3 LiveUpdate Return code=4
    Best Answer

Posted Jul 31, 2015 08:52 AM

it indecates that the SEPM has not re-registered itself witht the live update compoment as to what to download. please follow the below steps to fix this. if it still fails then post the log.liveupdate and sesmLu.log

Uninstall Liveupdate

Re-register Liveupdater with SEPM by following the procedure

* Open a command prompt window, then browse to:

For 32 bit Operating System 
    C:\Program Files\Symantec\Symantec Endpoint Protection Manager\bin

and for the 64 bit

C:\Program Files(X86)\Symantec\Symantec Endpoint Protection Manager\bin

* Execute lucatalog -cleanup

Reinstall Liveupdate

* Open a command prompt window, then browse to:

For 32 bit Operating System 
    C:\Program Files\Symantec\Symantec Endpoint Protection Manager\bin

and for the 64 bit

C:\Program Files(X86)\Symantec\Symantec Endpoint Protection Manager\bin

Execute lucatalog -forcedupdate
    * Run LiveUpdate from the console or execute LUALL.exe to verify that there are no errors.

• 7.  RE: SEPM 12.1.3 LiveUpdate Return code=4
    Best Answer

Posted Jul 31, 2015 02:17 PM

In the end this how it was solved, following the steps in the artical below.Same steps PraveenAyappan had given just diffrent order. Thanks for all the help!& PraveenAyappan

https://support.symantec.com/en_US/article.TECH171060.html

• 8.  RE: SEPM 12.1.3 LiveUpdate Return code=4

Posted Jul 31, 2015 04:00 PM

Hi Jkeane,

I am happy to hear the issue is resolved for you.