Endpoint SWAT: Protect the Endpoint Community

View Only
  • 1.  SEPM 12.1.5: Email Server settings only work if blank user

Posted Sep 30, 2014 11:05 AM

While troubleshooting another issue, I came across this one where I'm trying to send a test email via SEPM console.  I tried different variations of the username field (user, user@externalfqdn.com, etc.) with no luck.  Verified password is correct.  UUltimately the only thing that worked was to leave the User and password fields blank . The sender email address is still populated.  I do not have the checkmark in the "require SSL" box. 

What's up with that?  I suspect this works with blank user/pw due to the Receive Connector on the Exchange 2010 being configured to allow Anonymous Users, however I don't know what to do to force something other than that. 

I should note that when I upgraded SEPM a couple days ago from 12.1.3 I think it was, to 12.1.5, when I noticed emails weren't processing and went to the Email Server tab in SEPM, I saw that the Email Sender field was blank, the username field has just alerts (not alerts@domainfqdn.com for example) and the password was populated.  The upgrade process had to have done this, unless it was working fine prior to the upgrade like this.  But then what changed so now the same does not work, and in fact only the opposite does? 

Monkey business.  :)

• 2.  RE: SEPM 12.1.5: Email Server settings only work if blank user

Posted Sep 30, 2014 11:10 AM
    Maybe something on the exchange side doesn't play nice with this version?

• 3.  RE: SEPM 12.1.5: Email Server settings only work if blank user
    Best Answer

Posted Sep 30, 2014 11:21 AM

In your other thread, I think you mentioned that the Receive Connector is not configured to prompt for authentication, right?  If so, and Anonymous Users are allowed, then there should be no need for the SEPM to submit creds.

• 4.  RE: SEPM 12.1.5: Email Server settings only work if blank user

Posted Sep 30, 2014 11:47 AM

If you're curious, and assuming you have the ron the rights to enable it, you could put a tick in "Basic Authentication" on the receive connector in Exchange.

That should allow you to cofigure the SEPM to use creds.  With the permissions set to allow Anonymous users though, it's really not required.

• 5.  RE: SEPM 12.1.5: Email Server settings only work if blank user

Posted Sep 30, 2014 02:25 PM

Damn I lost my post due to accidental webpage closure.  Ugh. 

Anyway, I think I will stick with anonymous.  Right now my scheduled report emails come from SEPM_SERVER@domain.local which is not an AD user while my other alerts come from a certain user name that does exist in AD.  Just easier to leave as is.  If somebody is already so local on the network that they can somehow snoop SEPM traffic then I am in bigger trouble than that!

Thanks very much.