Endpoint Protection

View Only
Expand all | Collapse all

SEPM 12.1.5 "embedded database services" status is starting only

Migration User

Migration UserNov 22, 2014 12:32 AM

• 1.  SEPM 12.1.5 "embedded database services" status is starting only

Posted Nov 20, 2014 08:34 PM

This happen 3x already in span of 3 months, happen since SEPM has been migrated from Windows Server 2008 to Windows Server 2012 R2.

When said issue occurs, symantec embedded database service has a status "starting only",  unable to stop or start said services, unable to logon on SEPM Manager.

I was able to fix issue by reinstallating SEPM and restored working database (I usually do manual backup)

I'm using Symantec embedded database with 150 currently active clients out of 170 available seats.

• 2.  RE: SEPM 12.1.5 "embedded database services" status is starting only

Posted Nov 20, 2014 08:37 PM

Enable advanced debugging

How to debug the Symantec Endpoint Protection Manager

Post the log here for review

• 3.  RE: SEPM 12.1.5 "embedded database services" status is starting only

Posted Nov 20, 2014 09:27 PM

Hi Brian

Did the following;

1. Stop the Symantec Endpoint Protection Manager service
    2. Open the file C:\Program Files\Symantec\Symantec Endpoint Protection Manager\tomcat\etc\conf.properties and find the line which readsscm.log.loglevel=WARNING and change it to 
      scm.log.loglevel=FINEST. If this line does not exist, add the line to the bottom of the file.

• 4.  RE: SEPM 12.1.5 "embedded database services" status is starting only

Posted Nov 20, 2014 10:32 PM

Try this

Solution

1) Stop the Symantec Endpoint Protection Manager and Symantec Embedded Database services.
    2) Rename or delete the current sem5.log
    3) Click Start > Run and type CMD then click OK
    4) In the Command Prompt type:
    For 32-bit: CD C:\Program Files\Symantec\Symantec Endpoint Protection Manager\ASA\win32\
    For 64-bit: CD C:\Program Files (x86)\Symantec\Symantec Endpoint Protection Manager\ASA\win32\
    5) Press Enter. This will change directories to the folder containing dbsrv11.exe.
    6) To force the recreation of sem5.log, type:
    For 32-bit: dbsrv11 -f "C:\Program Files\Symantec\Symantec Endpoint Protection Manager\db\sem5.db" (There is a space after -f and "C:\...)
    For 64-bit: dbsrv11 -f "C:\Program Files (x86)\Symantec\Symantec Endpoint Protection Manager\db\sem5.db" (There is a space after -f and "C:\...)
    7) Press Enter
    8) Click Start > Run and type services.msc then click OK
    9) Start the Symantec Endpoint Protection Manager and Symantec Embedded Database services

https://www-secure.symantec.com/connect/forums/sepm-embedded-db-not-starting-hangs-starting

• 5.  RE: SEPM 12.1.5 "embedded database services" status is starting only

Posted Nov 21, 2014 02:36 AM

Hi James007,

Nice solution,however would it guarantee that issue may not occur again?, 

Thanks

• 6.  RE: SEPM 12.1.5 "embedded database services" status is starting only

Posted Nov 21, 2014 03:06 AM

May be you can't received problem again,We you will find any problem again you can raised thread or symantec ticket.

• 7.  RE: SEPM 12.1.5 "embedded database services" status is starting only

Posted Nov 21, 2014 03:44 AM

Hi James,

Haven't try your solutions yet, I just managed to fix issue by reinstalling SEPM and restoring the working database, but like I posted it happens 3x already so there's a possibility the issue might occur again.

• 8.  RE: SEPM 12.1.5 "embedded database services" status is starting only

Posted Nov 21, 2014 03:47 AM

I suggest you can try above solution if solution work you can upgrade SEPM 12.1.5 latest version.

or you can post log as per suggest brian.

• 9.  RE: SEPM 12.1.5 "embedded database services" status is starting only

Posted Nov 21, 2014 04:19 AM

I facing now the issue, SEPM and embedded database services are currently "not running", I got this message when I try to start "Error 1069: The service did not start due to a logon failure".

• 10.  RE: SEPM 12.1.5 "embedded database services" status is starting only

Posted Nov 21, 2014 04:26 AM

tried this solution but still unable to start SEPM and Embedded database services.

Try this

Solution

1) Stop the Symantec Endpoint Protection Manager and Symantec Embedded Database services.
    2) Rename or delete the current sem5.log
    3) Click Start > Run and type CMD then click OK
    4) In the Command Prompt type:
    For 32-bit: CD C:\Program Files\Symantec\Symantec Endpoint Protection Manager\ASA\win32\
    For 64-bit: CD C:\Program Files (x86)\Symantec\Symantec Endpoint Protection Manager\ASA\win32\
    5) Press Enter. This will change directories to the folder containing dbsrv11.exe.
    6) To force the recreation of sem5.log, type:
    For 32-bit: dbsrv11 -f "C:\Program Files\Symantec\Symantec Endpoint Protection Manager\db\sem5.db" (There is a space after -f and "C:\...)
    For 64-bit: dbsrv11 -f "C:\Program Files (x86)\Symantec\Symantec Endpoint Protection Manager\db\sem5.db" (There is a space after -f and "C:\...)
    7) Press Enter
    8) Click Start > Run and type services.msc then click OK
    9) Start the Symantec Endpoint Protection Manager and Symantec Embedded Database services

I have dbsrv16 not dbsrv11

dbsrv16 -f "C:\Program Files (x86)\Symantec\Symantec Endpoint Protection Manager\db\sem5.db"

• 11.  RE: SEPM 12.1.5 "embedded database services" status is starting only
    Best Answer

Posted Nov 21, 2014 04:26 AM

Check this

Troubleshooting log on as a service permissions for Symantec Endpoint Protection Manager

Article:TECH216042  | Created: 2014-03-24  | Updated: 2014-11-14  | Article URL http://www.symantec.com/docs/TECH216042

• 12.  RE: SEPM 12.1.5 "embedded database services" status is starting only

Posted Nov 21, 2014 10:40 PM

Hi James,

Kudos James007, Article:TECH216042 provided the solutions to this.

• 13.  RE: SEPM 12.1.5 "embedded database services" status is starting only

Posted Nov 22, 2014 12:32 AM

Thanks Happy to help you