View Only
Expand all | Collapse all

SEPM 12.1.5 - Where to get information to upgrade client

ℬrίαη

ℬrίαηDec 03, 2014 10:54 AM

• 1.  SEPM 12.1.5 - Where to get information to upgrade client

Posted Dec 03, 2014 09:40 AM

Good morning everyone,

Posting here because I'm becoming increasingly frustrated with my ability to find the information needed to do this. Had some problems with our previous 12.1.4 version of SEPM. Contacted Support and they were able to get 12.1.5 installed on our server. Now that we have 12.1.5, I need to push the 12.1.5 client out to upgrade our desktops.

The problem: I can't find any information on how to get the 12.1.5 client into SEPM so that I can then push it out to the desktops. I had seen something about finding a .info file, but the files I downloaded from fileconnect do not have a .info file within them.

Can someone please help me do this?

Thanks!

• 2.  RE: SEPM 12.1.5 - Where to get information to upgrade client

Posted Dec 03, 2014 09:41 AM

Check the Admin tab >> Install Packages

It will be here otherwise you can access https://symantec.flexnetoperations.com using your serial and download the client package only.

Once downloaded, follow this guide to import into SEPM:

How to manually import client packages into Endpoint Protection Manager (SEPM)

• 3.  RE: SEPM 12.1.5 - Where to get information to upgrade client

Posted Dec 03, 2014 10:06 AM

You first need to upgarde your SEPM to 12.1.5 once thats done you will find the packages under

admin - servers - install packages, do you see those?

all the informations here, use the auto upgrade feature

Upgrade or migrate to Symantec Endpoint Protection 12.1.5

http://www.symantec.com/business/support/index?page=content&id=TECH224034

• 4.  RE: SEPM 12.1.5 - Where to get information to upgrade client

Posted Dec 03, 2014 10:32 AM

Brian,

I'm wondering if I downloaded the wrong file and that's why I'm having an issue. From the fileconnect website, which do I need to download in order to be able to import the package information?

• 5.  RE: SEPM 12.1.5 - Where to get information to upgrade client
    Best Answer

Posted Dec 03, 2014 10:33 AM

Easiest way is to download the SEPM install or do you already have it available?

If so, within the SEPM folder there is a directory called Packages which contain .dat and .info files. You just need to import the .info file per the article I linked.

• 6.  RE: SEPM 12.1.5 - Where to get information to upgrade client

Posted Dec 03, 2014 10:34 AM

Rafeeq, 

I don't see admin - servers - install packages. I do have admin - install packages, but the only thing I see here is 12.1.4013.4013. Symantec has already been upgraded to 12.1.5.

Thanks!

• 7.  RE: SEPM 12.1.5 - Where to get information to upgrade client

Posted Dec 03, 2014 10:36 AM

Yes, it's admin >> install packages

Try this, on the SEPM server navigate to C:\Program Files\Symantec\Symantec Endpoint Protection Manager\bin and run the file called upgrade.bat

See it adds the packages after running it.

• 8.  RE: SEPM 12.1.5 - Where to get information to upgrade client

Posted Dec 03, 2014 10:52 AM

Brian,

This was the fix, thank you. I was looking in the program files directory for SEP, not the actual extracted installation folder. I was able to import the new packages into SEPM at this point.

Thanks!

• 9.  RE: SEPM 12.1.5 - Where to get information to upgrade client

Posted Dec 03, 2014 10:54 AM

Good deal, happy to help :)

• 10.  RE: SEPM 12.1.5 - Where to get information to upgrade client

Posted Dec 03, 2014 11:52 AM

Brian,

I'm working on trying to deploy packages. I moved my client to a test group and specified both the 32bit and 64bit client to apply to the group (just to test to make sure the right client gets handed out). How long does it approximately take for it to start updating a client? Is there a way to kick it off?

Thanks for all of your help!

• 11.  RE: SEPM 12.1.5 - Where to get information to upgrade client

Posted Dec 03, 2014 11:55 AM

It depends on when the client checks in (heartbeat process). Once it does, the ball will get rolling. You can force the client to check in by right clicking the icon in the task tray and selecting "Update Policy"

If you left it at the default of 1 day, it may take up to that long for the process to fully complete.

• 12.  RE: SEPM 12.1.5 - Where to get information to upgrade client

Posted Dec 03, 2014 12:07 PM

Heartbeat interval was briefly changed to 1 minute. I'm going to change it back to 5.

Reason: When you suggested running the update.bat (I believe I ran that before), I ran it again to see if it would import the packages. It did not, but this could be because I manually imported them using the .info files. No biggie. Anywho, this reset the push / pull settings and all of the clients had to reconnect. For some reason the default was 5 minutes, not 1 day.

Mine has since reconnected for the test, but it hasn't done anything to download the client. I thought about updating the client policy by the way you suggested, however I wanted to see what would happen as the goal here is to not have to interact with each client locally.

Off topic but if I move the original .info files, will that affect the package deployment, or should I be fine since it was already imported into SEPM?

• 13.  RE: SEPM 12.1.5 - Where to get information to upgrade client

Posted Dec 03, 2014 12:10 PM

If you open the client properties you should see that it accepted or rejected the upgrade package. And eventually you will see that it needs to be rebooted after being upgraded. It's not a quick process, will take some time :)

Yes, you can move those since you already imported the packages.

• 14.  RE: SEPM 12.1.5 - Where to get information to upgrade client

Posted Dec 03, 2014 01:03 PM

Brian, thanks for showing me that. Symantec support did show me that part however I had forgotten.

My client on SEPM does say that the targeted version is 12.1.5. I'm just in a rush to see if this deployment will work. Our clients do NOT have administrative privileges. I want to make it as seamless as possible. I didn't change anything with the deployment settings and left default. I don't know if the client is going to ask the user to interact with it, or if it'll even work since they don't have administrative privileges. 

Once I see that this works is when I would start rolling it out slowly but surely. I'd probably make duplicates of every group we have but set the duplicate group to have the new client pushed out and wait and see.

• 15.  RE: SEPM 12.1.5 - Where to get information to upgrade client

Posted Dec 03, 2014 01:07 PM

From what you've described it is working as expected.

If you want to make it happen instantly, set the "Distribute upgrades over x days" to 0

Keep in mind if you're upgrading a lot of clients at once, you will saturate your bandwidth quickly so I wouldn't advise doing this.