Endpoint Protection

View Only
  • 1.  SEPM unable to deploy to Win7 / Svr2008-R2

Posted Jan 26, 2010 10:08 PM
    Hi all,
      Has anyone actually managed to successfully deploy SEP to either Win7 or Svr2008-R2?

Even on a newly installed domain with minimal policies and newly installed servers and clients I am unable to get SEPM to remotely deploy to either Win7 x64 or Svr2008-R2 x64 under any circumstance.

On my production environment deployment doesn't get very far either.

And before anyone asks, yes I have attempted to disable UAC, and yes I am running the latest build of SEP.

All my Win7 deployments are massively delayed at this point of time due to SEP not working as usual, and it is starting to become very difficult for us to justify our upcoming license renewal for all our Symantec products.

First it was the whole definition huh-hah past 20091231, and now this. What exactly are we paying for every single year again?

So far every posting I've stumbled upon on this forum with regards to this issue yields to no resolution either.

• 2.  RE: SEPM unable to deploy to Win7 / Svr2008-R2

Posted Jan 26, 2010 10:24 PM
    Hi,

Check a couple of things.

1. See if the installation files get copied to the windows 7 machine or not. You can check that in C:\clt-inst folder.

2. Get the inmstallation logs from the machine. You can get it from start->run-> sep_inst.log

Those logs could be very helpful in determining the cause of the issue.

Also, let us know what symptoms did you observe when you tried to deploy the SEP client remotely from SEPM.

Did you try copying the package locally to a Win 7 client and double click on it?

If that way it wors, then we can look into network level permissions. If it fails locally as well, then it could a system level issue.

Cheers,
    Aniket

• 3.  RE: SEPM unable to deploy to Win7 / Svr2008-R2

Posted Jan 26, 2010 10:27 PM
    When push the packge what happesn? It fails or rolls back

Go the run and type %temp% and look for a file called SEP-inst.log
    Serach for rteurn value 3 and paste all the instances of that

• 4.  RE: SEPM unable to deploy to Win7 / Svr2008-R2

Posted Jan 26, 2010 10:28 PM

Title: 'What are some installation Issues faced during and after installation of Symantec Endpoint Protection 11 RU5 on Microsoft Windows 7'
    Document ID: 2009111012170848
    > Web URL: http://service1.symantec.com/support/ent-security.nsf/docid/2009111012170848?Open&seg=ent

Title: 'Windows 7 / 2008 R2 - SEP Client installation rolls back.'
    Document ID: 2009110411364348
    > Web URL: http://service1.symantec.com/support/ent-security.nsf/docid/2009110411364348?Open&seg=ent

• 5.  RE: SEPM unable to deploy to Win7 / Svr2008-R2

Posted Jan 27, 2010 04:13 AM
    I did eventually manage to get it deployed... but only after manually transferring the package over to the client.

The firewall was already disabled in my previous tests by the way.

The issue seems to have been with LU as described above.

Unforunately, successfully installing SEP has caused even more problems than deploying it.

On two test systems I installed the client on (one deployed, the other unmanaged), both systems displayed eratic behaviours after the installation of SEP. The primary and most common issue displayed after installing SEP was that there was a chance (roughly 25%?) during login that Windows would not be able to load my user profile, and a default user profile would be loaded instead. This is happening on both my test clients, even after one of them has been reinstalled from scratch. This issue definitely did not occur prior to installing SEP as I had done hundreds of logins prior testing other software.

I haven't bothered look into the issue further as during testing today a decision was made to phase out all products with the "Symantec" brand name in it.

Symantec has already lost us as a Backup Exec customer a few months ago for being incredibly slow (versus competitors) in releasing a version of Backup Exec that would be compatible with Server 2008-R2. Symantec is now losing us as a Entpoint Protection customer for not only being late (versus competitors) in 7/2008-R2 compatibility, but (and more importantly) also for releasing barely operable software despite the sheer amount of time spent in gaining compatibility in 7/2008-R2.