Endpoint Protection

View Only
  • 1.  SEPM v11.0.5002.33 and LiveUpdate Manager on same server? Yes or No

Posted Nov 24, 2009 05:32 PM
    When I attempt to log on to my SEPM v11.0.4 I get this error message:

"Failed to connect to the server"
    "Make sure that the server is running and your session has not timed out. If you can reach the server but cannot log on..."

The iiS is up and running.   I've look over all the configuration screens but everything looks okay.

The Symantec Support Technician wants me to uninstall the LiveUpdate Manager from this server  but I've been running SEPM v11.0.4 and LiveUpdate Manager on the same Win 2003 Std SP2 server for over a year and they have been working together okay until about a week ago.

The first question is: Can I have both SEPM and LiveUpdate Manager on the same server?

Any suggestions on the other problem will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

• 2.  RE: SEPM v11.0.5002.33 and LiveUpdate Manager on same server? Yes or No

Posted Nov 24, 2009 05:42 PM
    Can I have both SEPM and LiveUpdate Manager on the same server?

Yes without no problem and you have been running it for without any issues.

however if you are using livupdate administrtor to update just SEPM it does not make sense becuase livudpate will download and use some space, after that manager will take dowloads from liveupdate admin and take additional space, this is why sometimes they dont recommened and thats why the tech guy asked to uninstall, otherwise fine , no issues.

for failed to connect to the server issue, please place the scm-server0.log found under
    F:\Program Files\Symantec\Symantec Endpoint Protection Manager\tomcat\logs

• 3.  RE: SEPM v11.0.5002.33 and LiveUpdate Manager on same server? Yes or No

Posted Nov 24, 2009 05:48 PM
     You can have both LUA and SEPM on the same server without any issues.
    Now to check what happened with SEPM.
    Check the event log and check when was the first time you got Java -1 , Semsrv error in event log then check what just happened before that...

Did you install any application recently that uses tomcat on port 8005 is yes then change the SEPM port to something else or have you installed any program that uses Sybase database ?
    also paste the scm-server log over here as suggested..

• 4.  RE: SEPM v11.0.5002.33 and LiveUpdate Manager on same server? Yes or No

Posted Nov 24, 2009 10:36 PM
    You can also try repairing the SEPM and then try to login.

Repair the install of the Symantec Endpoint Protection Manager in Add or Remove Programs
    Open the Control Panel
    Open Add or Remove Programs
    Highlight Symantec Endpoint Protection Manager and click the Change button
    Click Next
    Select Repair
    Click Next
    Click Install
    Click Finish

For changing the port this screenshot should be useful.

Tomcat Port.JPG

• 5.  RE: SEPM v11.0.5002.33 and LiveUpdate Manager on same server? Yes or No
    Best Answer

Posted Nov 25, 2009 04:16 AM

Although technically possible to run both LUA and SEP Manager on the same physical server, this is not a recommend or supported configuration because:

A very high probability the server will run out of Java Heap space.

Server performance with both SEPM and LUA will suffer due to high I/O load and RAM requirements.

For redundancy it is recommended to install LUA on another server.

Security implications if the SEPM/LUA server fails (clients will not receive updates or all clients will attempt to retrieve updates direct from Symantec)

Potential Network performance issues on the segment the SEPM/LUA server is located (e.g. The initial download of definitions to an LUA server is between 600MB - 1.5GB)

If both LUA 2.x and the SEPM are installed on the same physical server, it is recommended that all content delivery (product and AV updates) take place through the LUA 2.x server and that the SEPM is used only to administer the network's SEP clients. Configuring both SEPM and LUA to deliver content updates adds no benefit for the SEP clients and places a heavy burden on the server.

Title: 'LiveUpdate Administrator 2.x and Symantec Endpoint Protection Manager on the Same Physical Server'
    Document ID: 2008060510124848
    > Web URL: http://service1.symantec.com/support/ent-security.nsf/docid/2008060510124848?Open&seg=ent