Endpoint Protection

View Only
  • 1.  Server 2008 R2 and SEP 11.0.5

Posted Oct 19, 2009 08:24 AM

When trying to deploy thru "Find Unmanaged Computers". deployment status says "Failed"

Server:
    Running server 2008 R2
    SEPM 11.0.5002.333

Clients tried:
    Windows 7 x64
    Windows 7 x86

Under the folder "C:\Windows\temp", the file "sep_inst.log" never appear as it did with the former SEP releases.
    No firewall is installed on the clients.

anyone having any ideas what causing this?

• 2.  RE: Server 2008 R2 and SEP 11.0.5

Posted Oct 19, 2009 08:30 AM
    Hi portent,

can you try creating a new package and try deploying it using migration and deployment wizard( once package is created , save it, in migration and deployment wizard, select existing package option)

find unmanged computer option does not give reason for why it failed, migration and deployment will let us know the cause.
    most of the times, it will be authentication...check these steps and let me know

• 3.  RE: Server 2008 R2 and SEP 11.0.5

Posted Oct 19, 2009 09:26 AM
    Greetings portent,

We have an internal document on getting this deployed to Windows 7, I believe UAC is preventing the deploying from going through. I would suggest either temporarily disabling UAC or giving us a call and we can provide you with a registry key that will circumvent UAC and allow the install to go through.

• 4.  RE: Server 2008 R2 and SEP 11.0.5

Posted Oct 19, 2009 09:33 AM
    then it should be this key.

1. Run Registry Editor (RegEdit) by typing regedit at command prompt or at startmenu->run
    2. Locate following registry key:
    HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Policies\System
    3. Locate the following REG_DWORD value:
    EnableLUA
    4. Set the value of EnableLUA to 0.
    Optional step to suppress UAC permission prompt dialog,
    1. Locate the following REG_DWORD value:
    ConsentPromptBehaviorAdmin
    2. Set the value of ConsentPromptBehaviorAdmin to 0 (optional).
    Now Exit from Registry Editor and Restart the computer.

• 5.  RE: Server 2008 R2 and SEP 11.0.5

Posted Oct 19, 2009 05:55 PM
    look for any other log file starting with  a number .log

• 6.  RE: Server 2008 R2 and SEP 11.0.5

Posted Oct 19, 2009 08:05 PM
    Try deploying to Win XP or Win 2003 and update the status

• 7.  RE: Server 2008 R2 and SEP 11.0.5

Posted Oct 19, 2009 08:41 PM
    You said the deployment status was failed
    That means the package never reached the client hence there wont be any logs getting created on the client side.
    You will need to make sure that the on the client the windows firewall is turned OFF & the simple file sharing is disabled.
    if still its not working then try to install the client locally.

• 8.  RE: Server 2008 R2 and SEP 11.0.5

Posted Nov 19, 2009 05:44 PM
    Ok, sorry it took a while for any feedback here.

Have now disabled the UAC without any luck using the "find unmanaged computers" tool.

Deployed throu the Migration and deployment wizard" and this works as it should. (deployed to a win 7 computer)

I have been using the "find unmanaged computers" tool since Symantec released their first Endpoint Protection and I have not encontered any problems until now, when trying to deploy from a new server 2008 R2 server.