Endpoint Protection

View Only
  • 1.  Should We Upgrade to Endpoint Protection Manager v14.0.0MP1 ?

Posted Apr 03, 2017 12:50 PM

Hi all.

We have Endpoint Protection Manager 12.1 RU6MP5.  As its performance is dreadful and it's riddled with bugs, I'm considering upgrading to v14.0.0MP1.  Is it worth upgrading ?  Does the newer version have better performance and fewer bugs ?

The issues I'm referring to relate the SEPM console.  Often information does not display and workarounds have to be employed, such as rescaling and refreshing the browser.  The console is achingly, painfully slow.  The console connection timeout setting is ignored and and admin user is randomly chucked out after a few minutes of inactivity.  And the list goes on ... Point being I'm just telling you about these issues as I know someone will ask.

So is it worth upgrading ?  Is v14 any better ?  Honest and impartial answers only please!!!

• 2.  RE: Should We Upgrade to Endpoint Protection Manager v14.0.0MP1 ?

Posted Apr 03, 2017 12:54 PM

SEP 14 MP1 appears to be stable now. SEP 14 RTM had some issues that were corrected in MP1.

I've not had issues with performance in 14. Have you seen the new interface? It's changed with 14.

I suppose if you have a test environment it may be best to start here.

• 3.  RE: Should We Upgrade to Endpoint Protection Manager v14.0.0MP1 ?

Posted Apr 04, 2017 05:36 AM

Thanks Brian.  What browsers have you tried it with ?  Is the UI and browser support improved ?

I haven't seen the new interface.  I'm going to read up on installation prerequisites and stuff and hopefully I'll get a few more opinions on this thread as to v14's quality control (if there has been any).  SEPM 12.1 RU6MP5 was a dreadful release.  Hopefully this one is an improvement.

• 4.  RE: Should We Upgrade to Endpoint Protection Manager v14.0.0MP1 ?

Posted Apr 04, 2017 06:28 AM
    Hi huddie, You can check new fixes in sepm 14 mp1 here - https://support.symantec.com/en_US/article.INFO4193.html We have upgraded multiple SEPM to MP1 with no issues, you can always try Mp1 it's loaded with new features

• 5.  RE: Should We Upgrade to Endpoint Protection Manager v14.0.0MP1 ?

Posted Apr 04, 2017 07:36 AM

Should be supported in all 3. I generally stick to the remote console. Accessing via browser is not ideal for me.

• 6.  RE: Should We Upgrade to Endpoint Protection Manager v14.0.0MP1 ?

Posted Apr 06, 2017 06:54 AM

By 'remote console', do you mean a Win32 app ?  Didn't know there was one.  Will check that out.

Installed the update anyway and, so far, it seems a bit more stable and less buggy than our previous version

• 7.  RE: Should We Upgrade to Endpoint Protection Manager v14.0.0MP1 ?

Posted Apr 06, 2017 07:36 AM

OK, so the 'remote console' is actually a Java SE app and, like most things on Java SE, just plain doesn't work.  All that happens when you launch it after following the installation instructions and adding the site to the Java Control Panel is a Java logo appears for about 10 seconds then disappears.  No errors, no communication with the user, nothing.  

Is there a fix for this ?  I've tried Chrome and IE (current versions on Win10 x64).

• 8.  RE: Should We Upgrade to Endpoint Protection Manager v14.0.0MP1 ?

Trusted Advisor
    Posted Apr 06, 2017 08:16 AM

By "remote console", I connect to it via MSTSC, i.e. using the console directly on server. The performance is miles better than via web console.

• 9.  RE: Should We Upgrade to Endpoint Protection Manager v14.0.0MP1 ?

Posted Apr 06, 2017 09:40 AM

Don't like using RDP.  It's a clumsy solution.  I suppose the web console is workable.

• 10.  RE: Should We Upgrade to Endpoint Protection Manager v14.0.0MP1 ?

Trusted Advisor
    Posted Apr 07, 2017 06:09 AM

Whichever works best for you. :D

Going back to your originial question... yes SEP v14 is worth an upgrade. I have just completed upgrading 5 different academies to SEP v14 with two more academies next week and so far, it's doing pretty well actually. And I am happy with how it's performing.

So, yes, I'd upgrade to v14 if I were you. Start with small numbers of clients, do some testing and if you're happy, then do the roll out.

Good luck!