Symantec Management Platform (Notification Server)

View Only
Expand all | Collapse all

SIM 7.5.242 re-downloading the 7.1 SP2 MP1.1 install files once the SIM 7.5.242 compiled an off-line installer

• 1.  SIM 7.5.242 re-downloading the 7.1 SP2 MP1.1 install files once the SIM 7.5.242 compiled an off-line installer

Posted Oct 07, 2014 09:34 AM

Dear All,

I am not sure how I got into this pretty mess, but I hope to mention this, so that others might make sense of it and perhaps get Symantec to fix it.

I have a server that had no access to the Internet at all and one that can get stuff from the Internet and has SMP 7.1 installed.

I upgraded to SIM 7.5.242 on the connected server and created an off-line installer for CMS/SMP 7.1 SP2 MP1.1 (and it downloaded a few newer MSIs) and then moved it over to the unconnected server.

When I ran the SIM 7.5.242 on the unconnected server, it said that I could not install CMS/SMP 7.1 SP2 MP1.1 because the server was not connected to the internet to download the packages.

So... ...I arranged for this server to be able to download from the Internet and then redownloaded the PL.XML.ZIP file and hey presto, it said that I could install now.

Hmmm.

So, I ran the SIM to install CMS/SMP 7.1 SP2 MP1.1 and it then said that it was wanting to download 75% of the packages (2.5GB) and so it started to download.

Why?

Well, I had a look at the installation MSIs and then found that 75% the MSIs that the off-line installer had packed into the off-line installer had one type of icon (regular MSI) and the new ones that it had needed to download to complete the installation on the connected server and the new ones that it then needed to download on the unconnected server had a different kind of icon with a lock like this:

fish.GIF

This makes me question three things:

1) When did this format change?

2) Why did the off-line installer element think that the existing MSIs on the server were OK and why did it pack them in, if they were not valid for installation?

3) Can Symantec please fix this in the SIM?

Kindest regards,

QuietLeni

• 2.  RE: SIM 7.5.242 re-downloading the 7.1 SP2 MP1.1 install files once the SIM 7.5.242 compiled an off-line installer

Posted Oct 08, 2014 03:49 AM

Been thinking, I guess that the workaround is to delete all of the old 7.1 MSIs on the Internet-connected server and then get the Off-line Installer to re-download (and remember that this will take you a long time).