Endpoint Protection

View Only
Expand all | Collapse all

Site Status Report - Server has less than 500 MB of free disk space.

• 1.  Site Status Report - Server has less than 500 MB of free disk space.

Posted Jan 10, 2010 09:40 AM

Hello

I am having troubles with my Symantec Endpoint Protection Server (ESXi VM). It seems to be filling up the C Drive. I have move the Virtual Memory off the C Drive so as to keep things running. The server did at one point have plenty of space but it is filling it up. What I have done so far is: Moved Virtual Memory, Removed Temporary Files and Moved Uninstall Directories as well as Reconfigured the VM with a larger C Drive. However day by day hour by hour it is filling it up. Any ideas?

C:\Program Files\Common Files\Symantec Shared\SymcData = 8 GBs

Symantec_Endpoint_Protection_11.0.4014_MR4

Symantec Protection Manager Real-time Summary Report
    Report Time: 01/10/2010 05:32:09
    This is a real-time summary of the health status of all sites and information on all servers on the local site.
    Site Information  
    Site Name Health Status Reason
    My Site Poor A server on the site had low memory, low disk space or was overloaded.

Server Information on Local Site
    Status Details
    Server Name Status Health Status Reason CPU Usage Memory Usage Free Disk Space
    ServerName Online Poor Server has less than 500 MB of free disk space. 56% 18% 192 MB

Throughput Details on Last Heartbeat
    Server Name Heartbeat Policies Downloaded Intrusion Prevention Downloaded Learned Applications Client Logs Received
    ServerName 0 0 0 0 0

• 2.  RE: Site Status Report - Server has less than 500 MB of free disk space.

Posted Jan 10, 2010 09:45 AM
     Workaround = Call Symantec and get Symdeltmps Utility run it on the servers having problem.
    Solution = Upgrade to MR5/RU5/11.0.5002.222

• 3.  RE: Site Status Report - Server has less than 500 MB of free disk space.
    Best Answer

Posted Jan 10, 2010 04:21 PM
     Here is a workaround:

1. Stop all Symantec Endpoint Protection services
    2. Delete all .tmp files and folders in C:\Program Files\Common Files\Symantec Shared\SymcData\sesmipsdef32, \sesmipsdef64, \sesmvirdef32, and \sesmvirdef64
    3. Delete the contents of the C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\Symantec\LiveUpdate\Downloads folder
    4. Restart the SEP services

The SymDelTemps utility could also be used to delete the temp files in the sub-folders.  Please be aware that the behavior will continue if the utility is used without stopping the SEP services.

The guide above is essentially what the SymDelTemps utility does. So if you don't want to call support or don't have a valid license you can do this instead. Keep in mind this is strictly a workaround and the upgrade to RU5 should fix your issue. Feel free to post again or PM me directly with any further questions.

Thanks
    Grant

• 4.  RE: Site Status Report - Server has less than 500 MB of free disk space.

Posted Jan 11, 2010 12:38 PM
    Thanks Grant ... Getting rid of the TMP files and the Live Update downloads did the trick for now until I get a chance to upgrade to MR5. And yes I have a valid license. :)

• 5.  RE: Site Status Report - Server has less than 500 MB of free disk space.

Posted Jan 11, 2010 12:39 PM
    Thanks for the info ... this will keep me going until I can upgrade to MR5

• 6.  RE: Site Status Report - Server has less than 500 MB of free disk space.

Posted Jan 11, 2010 03:06 PM
    Thanks for the information - I'm having exactly this problem, and am glad there is a workaround - but I have the following questions:

a) Is there a separate document that outlines the reason for this issue?  Is this related in any way to the "definitions updates cannot be older that  12-31-09" issue?

b)  When I upgrade my installation to MR5, will I have the oportunity to select where aplication TMP files can be stored, or how they are cleaned?

Thanks in advance for your help.

• 7.  RE: Site Status Report - Server has less than 500 MB of free disk space.

• 8.  RE: Site Status Report - Server has less than 500 MB of free disk space.

Posted Jan 11, 2010 03:49 PM
    Thanks for the info Vikram - the workaround fixed the problem.

Regards.

• 9.  RE: Site Status Report - Server has less than 500 MB of free disk space.

Posted Jan 11, 2010 03:53 PM
     @DCSAV1 -- Workarounds don't fix problems it temporarily delays it...To fix it you will have to migrate to RU5

• 10.  RE: Site Status Report - Server has less than 500 MB of free disk space.

Posted Jan 11, 2010 04:46 PM
    If your C:\Program Files\Symantec\Symantec Endpoint Protection Manager\Inetpub\content folder is very big, you can go to SEPM console > Admin>Servers>click on Local Site>click on Edit Site Properties>LiveUpdate Tab and check how many content revisions you keep. I used to have 30, and driven by space lack, I decreased it to 10. One revision is about 140MB, zipped and unzipped folders. So, you do the maths.

Thanks,

M

• 11.  RE: Site Status Report - Server has less than 500 MB of free disk space.

Posted Jan 12, 2010 05:59 PM
     If it is not too much trouble newfronics could you please mark the post that solved your problem with "Mark As Solution". This lets others know that the post is now closed, and it also lets other users who might have the same problem as you quickly navigate to the answer you thought was best.

Thanks and if you have trouble on the upgrade to RU5 please come back and let us know
    Grant-