Endpoint Protection

View Only
Expand all | Collapse all

Some clients will not upgrade to 12.1.6 MU3

• 1.  Some clients will not upgrade to 12.1.6 MU3

Posted Feb 03, 2016 03:22 AM
      |   view attached

Hi!

After upgrading our SEPM environment, some clients (looks random to me) will not upgrade.

The process we use is to add install package to a group, and move clients to that group. Most of the clients upgrades just fine. We have not experienced this in earlier versions of the product.

In the attachment, the dialogue is from when I try to use Push mode (5 min interval). (In prod we use pull mode HB 2 hours.)

..only a few client experience the problem, and I really suspect that these clients are having an issue..

Any suggestions/ideas?

Regards

Ivar

• 2.  RE: Some clients will not upgrade to 12.1.6 MU3

Posted Feb 03, 2016 05:00 AM

is it happening only to a few select clients ? and does it happen to all the clients in a group or only a few clients in a given group ? and also what happens when you try to upgrade a affected client manually ? does the affected client show any error when you open the client interface ?

• 3.  RE: Some clients will not upgrade to 12.1.6 MU3

Posted Feb 03, 2016 05:01 AM

The failed clients are of same OS and Language?

the issues might be on the client end, check if you see the CLT_INST folder under c:\temp

Once the package is downloaded the client will start the installation, check the event viewer  to see if there is any rollback msg

Upgrade might rollback if current installation is corrupted.and also check SEP_Inst.log file for any rollback issues

• 4.  RE: Some clients will not upgrade to 12.1.6 MU3

Posted Feb 03, 2016 06:24 AM
      |   view attached

Hi! and thanks for asking/replying

There is no CLT_INST folder under C:\

I have added an attachment showing one of the affected clients status in SEPM console:

"The client has successfully downloaded and verified the upgrade package"

"Client has successfully downloaded and verified the upgrade package, type SymDelta version 12.1.6608.6300 filesize 16717485."

I cannot find anything in the clients Event logs - windows & Sep

I'm not able to locate  SEP_Inst.log..

In this particular group, I have 9x windows 7 clients (We have thousands of win7 clients upgrading just fine..)

There is nothing in the group that is different from where clients are working fine.

We also have other groups were we upgrade clients, and I've tried moving affected clients to these groups, but the clients just will not upgrade...

..so I'm more and more convinced that it has to be local to the client.. (I've been wrong before :))

• 5.  RE: Some clients will not upgrade to 12.1.6 MU3

Posted Feb 03, 2016 07:06 AM
    Yeah right , client specific. If it has downloaded then it has to be in temp folder

• 6.  RE: Some clients will not upgrade to 12.1.6 MU3

Posted Feb 03, 2016 07:14 AM

Sorry - should have written:   "There is no CLT_INST folder under C:\temp"

I cannot find any files under "C:\Program Files (x86)\Symantec\Symantec Endpoint Protection\12.1.6318.6100.105\temp" either..

So I don't know where to look exactly..

• 7.  RE: Some clients will not upgrade to 12.1.6 MU3

Posted Feb 03, 2016 07:46 AM

How long has it been since the client verfiied the package? Typically the next after this is to do the install after it has verified.

You're not going to see any log files yet, not until the install has started,

• 8.  RE: Some clients will not upgrade to 12.1.6 MU3

Posted Feb 03, 2016 08:22 AM
      |   view attached

It's more than one month ago that I put this PC in the upgrade group. Half of the clients upgraded fine immediately, half of them just wont..

I attached properties from one of the affected clients, which shows Last deployment date: 21. januar 2016 15:41:16 CET

..so I don't exactly know how long to wait  :)

• 9.  RE: Some clients will not upgrade to 12.1.6 MU3

Posted Feb 03, 2016 08:24 AM

Way too long. I assume the PC has been rebooted recently? Have you tried running the symhelp tool on it to do error checking?

Troubleshooting computer issues with the Symantec Help support tool

• 10.  RE: Some clients will not upgrade to 12.1.6 MU3

Posted Feb 03, 2016 09:12 AM

in this specific client did you find the client installation folder being downloaded ? also did you find any errors with the client ? if possible can you try to export a MSI package and upgrade it manually on this client to see what is the actual issue is ?

• 11.  RE: Some clients will not upgrade to 12.1.6 MU3

Posted Feb 04, 2016 08:23 AM

Hi!  ..and thanks for suggestions/ideas.

Yes, PCs have been rebooted recently.

I ran symhelp on "working" and "not working" clients. They produced same result.

I managed to lcate the SEP_INST.LOG under c:\windows\temp. This file is from 23rd of Nov 2015, and contains the install of the current client on the pc (12.1.6318.6188), and no traces of the client we're installing at the moment (12.1.6608.6300)

I am not sure where I can find the downloaded package. I'm not able to locate it in C\TEMP, in %TEMP%, in TEMP-folder under programfiles\symantec, or in windows\temp, so I don't know where to look.. (I don't know what name to look for either.. :))

I have not been able to find any errors regarding SEP-install on the client.  

I do not want to install manually yet, because I have around 6000 clients, so I really would like to solve the issue from management console first. (I will post result here anyway, if I do a maual install..:)

I think the status shown in SEPM "..client has received the package and exepting it..", tells SEPM to wait for the client..

I have run commands on the clients "Update content" - and the comands execute successfully. (Doesn't change anything..)

• 12.  RE: Some clients will not upgrade to 12.1.6 MU3

Posted Feb 04, 2016 08:42 AM

I would try installing the package manually on one affected client to see if it throws an error or installs as expected.

• 13.  RE: Some clients will not upgrade to 12.1.6 MU3

Posted Feb 08, 2016 08:56 AM

Hi!

Today I first tried to "Add a client" from SEPM, specifying my ovn pc, which has the issue. I was able to connect and log in, but deploying never finished, so I had to cancel after 1 hour ++.

Then I copied the setup file locally, and installed (as you asked me to), and that finished just fine.

I managed to find the SEP_INST.LOG under C:\Users\<username>\AppData\Local\Temp, but wasn't able to figure out anything else than the product was installed.

More and more clients ends up like like described in the thread, so I had to do something.

We decided to add the pkg in SystemCenterConfigurationManager (SCCM), and that seems to do the job for us.

After deployment from SCCM, the client has following deploymant status in SEPM prperties: Cannot deploy. Client version is the same or later than the specified package,

but the clients have correct version of SEP, so I'm kind of happy  :)

• 14.  RE: Some clients will not upgrade to 12.1.6 MU3

Posted Feb 08, 2016 01:07 PM

if you have SCCM, I would suggest you to go ahead with it even if the number of clients is less, reason being the better control over the deployment.